LED Low Beams on 15 Chevy? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011-2016 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2011-2016 topics not related to powertrain

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

LED Low Beams on 15 Chevy?

I have seen a few threads on GMC's getting LED's but non for the 15+ Chevy low beams. As most I obviously am wanting to upgrade my stock low beams on my 2015 with the projector lenses. I am debating between HID's and LED's. LED's seem to be a little more plug and play whereas HID's require a little more work on installation. My question is has anyone put LED's in the stock projectors on a Chevy and if so how are they compared to stock and compared to HID's.

I was looking at the Morimoto 2Stroke LED kit.

Thanks

2015 Chevy LML 2500HD LTZ CC/LB
14" Duraflap Mudflaps
ICI SS Running Boards
Bushwacker OE Fender Flares
Northland Aluminum Front Bumper
EDGE CTS2/EGT Probe
MBRP Downpipe /5" Flo Pro Exhaust
PPEI ECM/TCM Tunes
Airdog 4g 165 Lift Pump
Deviant EGR Plates/Merchant Auto PCV Reroute
295/55R20 Toyo MT's on Stock Rims/Height
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Do a proper projector swap. GM uses cheap shit projectors. Adding anything will not help you. @LSLighting will lead you the proper way for the best output
LSLighting likes this.

06 LBZ ECLB
5% tints | 5" straight pipe with axle dump | 20" lml wheels with 33x12.5 MTs | motorsporttech aluminum custom spacers | power steering cooler with magnefine | awaiting retrofit....
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdufficy View Post
Do a proper projector swap. GM uses cheap shit projectors. Adding anything will not help you. @LSLighting will lead you the proper way for the best output
Please explain how GM uses cheap shit projectors, & which ones you think are the chit to use

2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ, Z71, SRW.
Summit White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:47 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn69 View Post
Please explain how GM uses cheap shit projectors, & which ones you think are the chit to use
How? They're valeo projectors. Valeo projectors are some of the worst optics around. That includes the HID and halogen versions. Stanley and koito are some of the top HID projectors around. Very popular in the aftermarket world, easy to modify and take a D4S or D2S bulb

06 LBZ ECLB
5% tints | 5" straight pipe with axle dump | 20" lml wheels with 33x12.5 MTs | motorsporttech aluminum custom spacers | power steering cooler with magnefine | awaiting retrofit....
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn69 View Post
@mdufficy is trying to steer you in the correct direction.

Even Morimoto says the LED bulbs do not compare to proper HIDs. This statement was made directly on a 2 Stroke post as well.

Best option in a 2015 is an FXR Projector swap. Gives you three times the light output, with nearly twice the beam pattern width.
The new Silverado can have the projector swap done without even opening the headlight housing from the front. You can do the projector swap through the rear dust cap opening and with our brackets the FXR is easily bolted into place and requires minimal if any adjustments be made aim wise.

A Prius would blow your headlights away (and do now anyway) if you just went with a 2 stroke PnP install. You also lose distance on the output due to the optics of the LED bulb not matching the halogens so you end up lacking a hot spot.
Hot spots are intense spots of focused light from a headlight with the designed intent of projecting that light down the road further.
mdufficy and Kody586 like this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLighting View Post
@mdufficy is trying to steer you in the correct direction.

Even Morimoto says the LED bulbs do not compare to proper HIDs. This statement was made directly on a 2 Stroke post as well.

Best option in a 2015 is an FXR Projector swap. Gives you three times the light output, with nearly twice the beam pattern width.
The new Silverado can have the projector swap done without even opening the headlight housing from the front. You can do the projector swap through the rear dust cap opening and with our brackets the FXR is easily bolted into place and requires minimal if any adjustments be made aim wise.

A Prius would blow your headlights away (and do now anyway) if you just went with a 2 stroke PnP install. You also lose distance on the output due to the optics of the LED bulb not matching the halogens so you end up lacking a hot spot.
Hot spots are intense spots of focused light from a headlight with the designed intent of projecting that light down the road further.
Would the new projectors and LED's be a good solution to the stock headlights? Would that combo be anywhere comparable to HID's? The main reason I am looking at LED's is their longevity.

14" Duraflap Mudflaps
ICI SS Running Boards
EDGE CTS2/EGT Probe
PPEI ECM/TCM Tunes
Airdog 4g 165 Lift Pump
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 06:39 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 Diesel View Post
Would the new projectors and LED's be a good solution to the stock headlights? Would that combo be anywhere comparable to HID's? The main reason I am looking at LED's is their longevity.
Nope. PNP LED bulbs are a gimmick. Even the best OEM LED headlights aren't as good as good OEM HID headlight. The problem is they don't have the depth. HIDs are still the best. By ten years I think LEDs will be better but it'll be a while. The only cool thing with OEM multi jeweled headlights is the adaptivnness. Where it can determine if there is a vehicle head on and it'll shut the driver LED high beams off but the passenger side will stay on. But that's about it.

It's a coolness thing. I've though about using Corolla or Murano LED projectors but then I realize I care about output which is way better

06 LBZ ECLB
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 AM

You're not the only one pondering this as a solution.

I just ordered some 2 Stroke LEDs and will do a comparison between 2 stroke and an HID bulb in the FXR projector.

The 2 Stroke is said to be far better than other PnP LEDs but is so new I myself have not compared them first person. So I will do that, and report back. However, LED PnP set-ups do not have the same longevity as they are marketed to have. That much power on a small set-up like that makes a lot of heat and causes premature failures than the marketed 50,000 hours of most LED kits.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:15 AM

I can tell you that you will not get the most out of any HID projector by using an LED bulb over HID. The bulbs I have tested have a 50% or lower performance than an HID bulb.

(This was measured in the hotspot using an actual Lux meter)

Please quote my post so I can respond to the thread faster.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLighting View Post
You're not the only one pondering this as a solution.

I just ordered some 2 Stroke LEDs and will do a comparison between 2 stroke and an HID bulb in the FXR projector.

The 2 Stroke is said to be far better than other PnP LEDs but is so new I myself have not compared them first person. So I will do that, and report back. However, LED PnP set-ups do not have the same longevity as they are marketed to have. That much power on a small set-up like that makes a lot of heat and causes premature failures than the marketed 50,000 hours of most LED kits.
I would be really interested in your results after the test. I simply like the fact that the LEDs are more plug and play but if they aren't much better than stock, HID'S will be the way I go.

14" Duraflap Mudflaps
ICI SS Running Boards
EDGE CTS2/EGT Probe
PPEI ECM/TCM Tunes
Airdog 4g 165 Lift Pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode