New brake rotors - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011-2016 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2011-2016 topics not related to powertrain

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dgetzlaff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Hello all,
Im in the market for a set of new rotors for my 2012 4wd DRW CC.

Starting in the summer of 2017 I noticed a minor shake in the steering wheel on steep descents. Initially only noticeable at the bottom of long hills while hauling a 4000# truck camper. Fast forward to the summer of 2018 and the problem is much worse. If on a long downhill grade, I need to keep the tranny in 3rd gear, and keep my speeds below 45mph or the rotor warp becomes so bad that I can barely keep the steering wheel from jumping out of my hands.

No local shops are turning rotors anymore, so Im inclined to buy a new front set.

Typically I will haul a 4000# truck camper, and occasionally I will add a 4000# boat, which only has surge brakes. Needless to say, I demand a lot from my truck's brakes.

Drilled and slotted aftermarket rotors have caught my attention. $150 a pair from Amazon almost seems too cheap - I don't want to waste my time on junk.

SSBC Cross Bite look good at about $350 a pair.
https://ssbrakes.com/i-20481027-roto...23930aa3l.html

Are there any other options I should be considering here?

Truck has 25000 miles and is otherwise in excellent condition.

Thanks!

2012 3500 DRW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:12 PM

From what I've read so far, stock rotors and pads are the way to go for our HD's.

Gerry

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW CCSB 4X4 LTZ Z71
LML, 6 Spd Allison, 2nd owner and my First diesel ever, B&W Turnoverball Goose Neck,
Pace Edwards BedLocker Tonneau Cover, Sulastic Shackles, Tinted Windows, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar(TheBigWig),
Airlift Ultimate 5000 Airbags with Wireless Air, Fass Titanium 150GPH Lift Pump, AVS Bug/Hood Protector, Autocal, Edge Insight CS2

Soon to get: maybe more tint, Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, LED Lightbar or Flood Lights, Train or Air Horn
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

No kidding. I had my mind made up on after market since my originals only lasted 25K.

2012 3500 DRW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
No kidding. I had my mind made up on after market since my originals only lasted 25K.
I tow 15K all the time with some big mountains and I have 130K miles on my originals. Many folks have more than that.

You must have something else wrong. Perhaps slide lube.
SUTHERN likes this.

05 3500 LLY CCLB 4X4
AFE turbo mouthpiece,
Banks Ottomind 6, Banks Speed Brake,
Banks Ram Air intake w/super scoop, Banks Monster exhaust, Cat delete.
Pulling a 15K+ 5th wheel
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:43 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

25,000 miles on a set of OEM brakes seems very short of a normal life expectancy, unless you have some other related problem.
I have 155,000 miles on my factory brakes, including a lot of miles carrying a truck camper or towing a 5th wheel. I use tow/haul mode and supplemental braking, and have a caliper service done with tire rotations, about every 10,000 miles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:45 PM

Garage
I CANNOT EVEN STRESS ENOUGH: STOCK OEM PADS AND ROTORS. If you read what all caps mean you will get my message. I thought as you did, drilled rotors trick brakes are for race cars not HD trucks. You can run a aftermarket stock style rotor of good quality OK , factory pads are a must! JMHO from someone who has "been there, done that"

2019 Chevy Dually Door handles/color matched 110 Gal transfer-flow bed tank / 20"AE wheels Mich. 265/60/20 defender tires /husky rear flaps /cargo box/weathertech mats.tinted glass, xpel on forward surfaces, blacked out pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode