Bilsteins or better option? 2013 2500 - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2011-2016 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2011-2016 topics not related to powertrain

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 47 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:39 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
I put some exhaust wrap heat shield around the where the rear shock was on my 2010 after noticing the OEM shock boot was warped from the heat. Since haven't had problem with shock on that side.

I have run rancho 9000 on my 2500 and Bilstein 4600 on my dually. I prefer the ranchos for pulling. Yeah the little plastic knobs do seize. I adjusted them where I wanted when new and left them. The ones on the front of the 2010 I had where on close to 600,000 miles when I sold the truck. The rears tend to start to leak much sooner. Replaced a few.

Bilstein I have on the dually I like the ride better non trailering, but ride is just too bouncy up front pulling for me.

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 620,000 miles

2013 LT CC & Chassis with 9' Hillsboro Aluminum flatbed - over 82,000 miles
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 05:56 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Friday I replaced the original Rancho's on my 2016 Denali HD with Bilstein 5100's. Two of the removed Rancho's were completely shot. One front and one rear would not extend at all when collapsed. The other two, barely.
Wow! What a ride improvement with the 5100's. Crazy good, like having a brand new truck!
post #43 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

I put the rear 5100s on a week ago because they came in first. Pretty easy install just laying on the ground. The passenger side was just adding weight at this point and showed some signs of heat damage. The difference was noticeable with the new 5100s.

Last week my front 5100s came in and I installed them on Saturday. I didn’t notice as big of a change but my stock front shocks seemed in better shape. They wouldn’t decompress but had descent pressure compressing. Overall, the new 5100s were definitely warranted.

This weekend we will be pulling our 38’ RV weighing 11,500 lbs. I’m curious how the ride will be with the new shocks. Before I would get into a rapid porpoise around 65 mph in certain road conditions. I suspect on roads with relief cuts evenly spaced and the right balance of fuel weight and speed, the worn shocks allowed the truck to get into a sustained up/down rocking motion. Hopefully that will not be an issue anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:21 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Shocks go bad so gradually that we just don't notice most of the time. I've driven customer cars for other things and had them bounce all over the place. When I talked the customer into a set of shocks or struts they have uniformly reported back about how much nicer the vehicle rides. I'm not the sort who advocates new shocks on a pure mileage basis but once you get over 50,000 it is a good idea to at least bounce the corners and see if they all respond the same.

Jetpig is right that the difference can be dramatic. Bono is right that it isn't always so but it is usually noticeable.

It is things like worn shocks, chipped windshields and body dings that make a car seem old. My car is 22 years old and people are always surprised to hear it because the windshield is new and the paint is good. If you keep on top of this stuff it can save you a couple of new cars with payments over a lifetime. Of course the new features are always nice whether you need a new car or not.
post #45 of 47 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

If you asked my wife, she would say it rides the same. If I didn’t know I had replaced them, I might not notice enough unless I was paying attention.

However, last weekend we drove 800 miles with the RV. GCVWR around 21,000 and the truck around 10,000. Big improvement. No more porpoising and felt planted a little more.
post #46 of 47 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
If you keep on top of this stuff it can save you a couple of new cars with payments over a lifetime.
Yup. Every time i think about getting a different DD i think about all the money I am saving NOT having a car payment and having cheaper car insurance.
mizterwizard likes this.

07 Bowtie LMM CCSB Z: Nice truck, mad wife, empty wallet.

With all this "gun control" talk I haven't heard one politician say how they plan to take guns from criminals, just law abiding citizens.
post #47 of 47 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:06 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I have bilstein 5100s all the way around on mine and love the way it rides. From what i have gathered when researching on what shocks to get it came down to fox 2.0 and bilsteins for the $$$. Apparently the fox 2.0 are a little stiffer compared to the bilstein 5100s. Since my truck is a pavement princess i went ahead and got the bilstein 5100s and couldn't be happier. Definitely improved the ride over the stock shocks. I did have cognito control arms and a 1" drop shackle in the rear tho. If you really want to spend some coin check out cutting edge fabz. That guy has some killer suspension products for the duramax.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's drop shackle set a 1"
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion Race series with 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode