Mini Duramax 1st hand experience? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2016+ XLD28 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Mini Duramax 1st hand experience?

The stars aligned and i finally decided it was time to make my move. AKA the wife was in a good mood, and her vehicle has has a few recent issues. So after a few occasional statments over the past couple weeks/months about new vehicles on the market, and how it would be nice to switch it up.

While running errands I pulled off into the local Chev dealer. And started showing the wifey the new Canyon (i briefly used to be a "sales & leasing consultant at a Subaru dealership years ago) so with my past training knew how to play may card just right. And now the Misses is tentatively on board with trading in her 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD which has the 3.0L Mercedes diesel. There were only 3 units on the lot, non of which diesel. So haven't bothered with the test drive yet, but gave her a good walk though of the layout and features available.

So now time to hear real world experience from those whom have bought one of the 2.8 Duramaxs. What are your honest opinions?

Kev'sDmax Build thread:
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/bu...build.html2006 -2006 Sierra 2500HD LBZ CCSB
NBS conversion/custom front bumper/HID & LED everything/40" light bar/EFI/CTS/Back-up cam/Downpipe & 5"exhaust/Built Trans/FASS 150/FFR tie rods/Dual 2-5/8 external reservoir coilovers/SS break lines/18x9 XD Menace Wheels/325/65/18Duratrac's/Truxedo/192L sliptank.
Garage floor:Built steering stuff, long travel air bags, rear blocks, trans brace/wheel bearings/fumoto drain valve. HIT F***ING MOOSE! .... now sitting in garage waiting.... to turn into "PROJECT SQUAREMAX"
-2007.5 Silverado3500 LMM ECLB LTZ some mods...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I think i've read 2 seperate cases of timing chain failure?

But noone ever decided if it was in the block or actually had a chain.....

SOLD- 02 ECSB LB7- R.I.P.

2005 CCSB Z71 Silverado, Factory 5.3, 06 Front Clip, Cooper AT3/Ion 171's, Too Many LED'S....
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:29 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I looked up parts on one....I found a timing belt tensioner listed?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 01:17 AM
it's just money.....lol

they have a timing belt, i test drove one. pretty sweet little truck. i plan to own one in the future.

2016 GMC 3500HD Denali CCLB - 27,035 miles
2015 GMC 2500HD SRW/CCLB 39,368 miles- SOLD
2011 CHEV 2500HD SRW/CCSB
133,597 miles - SOLD
2014 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW Megacab - SOLD
2014 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn CCLB - SOLD
My 2011 LML build thread(Now my 2015 GMC build thread!)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 01:47 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Hate the way GM makes you buy a near Denali trim level just to get the diesel. You can get the Dodge 3.0 in a work truck if you want.

DPF/SCR technology summarized in three words: It doesn't work.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 03:31 PM
SDP

I can confirm it does have a timing belt. The serpentine belt issue is due to a bracket rubbing on it, out of the factory it must have been clocked wrong.

Great little truck and not too bad to work on other than these details:

I don't like the fact that you can't pull the starter due to the engine mount bracket being in the way. Once the motor was out, I was able to shave the bracket down and now it can be removed easily.

You can't pull #4 injector without lifting the cab (tried it with the trans out as well but that did not work). Now I have a hole in the cowl to make room to pull the injector out easily, not a big deal anymore.

The truck runs and drives amazingly with the compound kit and ECM + TCM tuning. In stock form they are slow to respond and no power up top, I'm a fan of the instant responsiveness we're able to get out of these vs the 6.6 trucks.

Screamin Diesel Performance 360-417-9000 [email protected]
Compound twin turbo kits with 3" y-bridge and coolant tank for all Duramax's
SDPtwins.com LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!

2017 L5P
2016 2.8L Duramax Canyon with SDP Compound twin turbo kit and DSP4 tuning
2009 LMM SDP trans, SDP GT5541/GTX42 twins, 200% injectors, 2x Exergy CP3's, Socal motor, ATP tuned
2002 LB7 SDP twins, ATP tuned, stock motor [email protected] 7,200lbs
2001 LB7 SDP Built transmission, Single SDP S475, ATP tuning
2006 LBZ Race truck build
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 01:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I got giddy like a little school girl when I checked my "subscribed threads" and saw that the man, Mr Screaming Diesel himself posted a response!
Thanks for your input Scott.
I am getting really excited for this thing. I just talked to one of the main company’s which I subcontract for. To ensure that it is OK I get one of these little trucks in the meantime while I rebuild my Duramax after a moose strike (right now I'm running a clunky old 7.3L f350).
Right now I just need to look at the books and see if I can swing it $$$ wise. As like I said I'm rebuilding my Duramax, and in the process of a 87 Square body swap on my 06 chassis. So I might have to wait till this time next year and pick up a 2017 when they go on sale with rebates.

....on that note, If i wait a year to save some cash. Scott might be getting an order for a 2.8L and a 6.6L compound kit at the same time! ;-)

Kev'sDmax Build thread:
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/bu...build.html2006 -2006 Sierra 2500HD LBZ CCSB
NBS conversion/custom front bumper/HID & LED everything/40" light bar/EFI/CTS/Back-up cam/Downpipe & 5"exhaust/Built Trans/FASS 150/FFR tie rods/Dual 2-5/8 external reservoir coilovers/SS break lines/18x9 XD Menace Wheels/325/65/18Duratrac's/Truxedo/192L sliptank.
Garage floor:Built steering stuff, long travel air bags, rear blocks, trans brace/wheel bearings/fumoto drain valve. HIT F***ING MOOSE! .... now sitting in garage waiting.... to turn into "PROJECT SQUAREMAX"
-2007.5 Silverado3500 LMM ECLB LTZ some mods...

Last edited by Kev'sDmax; 11-18-2016 at 01:52 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 11:56 AM

Own one, Except for 2 road trips where it went in to limp mode, it runs great close to HOME.....

NOx Sensor 2 Failure, Scary and Dangerous, Goes Limp mode. Not in stock at all dealers, delco part 125 at Rock Auto

BG
2017 Canyon 4wd Denali Diesel
2 times in Limp Mode!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 04:26 PM

I bought a 2016 Canyon with 8,000+ miles on Auto Trader and drove it 1,600 miles home. Ran the speed limit mostly, which in Texas can be 75 mph, and got 30 mpg. This summer I towed my small Airstream 8,000 miles on a trip up into Canada (what a beautiful country, at least in summer). Got about 15 mpg towing at 65. I have towed horses a lot in large trailers (40') with various trucks, up to a Freightliner. The Canyon is well designed, has excellent braking and cooling, and has a very quiet cab. I like to listen to music on long drives and can actually hear it well in the Canyon. This week my DEF pump went out which was replaced under warranty at 18,600 miles. Hopefully, this is not a common occurrence. Overall, this is one very nice truck and I hope to keep it a long time.

2016 4x4 GMC Canyon
Former holder of Commercial Drivers License
1,000,000+ miles driving
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:16 PM

Angry

Update: My canyon had another NO2 sensor failure, then the mechanic found that the connectors on the harness under the vehicle for connecting the sensor had no water seals preventing them from corroding. Sat my vehicle indicated the
dreaded DPF cleaning continur driving. NO problem, with mostly highway driving, I had never seen this message. So 55 miles later I get to san angelo and the message is still there. I had to shut off for sleep. Did not sleep well because with each replace of the sensors the manual regen was an issue, it took multiple days in San Antonio for the dealer to 'make it work', well I left San Angelo for home. About 10 miles out the message came on, I sped to 70 MPH and for the next 4.4 hours maintained mainly 70+ speed limits. The message never cleared. On Monday I made a appointment at the dealer. No CEL, just a action required message. I drove to work and home (all highway) both Mon and Tues, about 53 miles each way. Today in the rain I began to get the CEL. and to my surprise, in the left lane at 70 miles per hour, with no warning the vehicle reduced power. Heavy traffic, rain and now my dirty pants. GM customer service is a joke. They are the prevent the customer message from leadership group.

I take this POS in tomorrow, this truck was something I waited for a long time, a mid-size diesel. I am so disappointed in GM, the customer service and the engineering, I hope others buy Dodge!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode