2016 GMC Canyon SLT 2WD 2.8L Diesel DTC - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2016+ XLD28 Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

2016 GMC Canyon SLT 2WD 2.8L Diesel DTC

I don't have a CEL on currently.

I bought the truck with 87500 miles on it about a week ago.

I put my BlueDriver code reader/scan tool on it and found that there is an "engine control module" code P2A01.

I looked this up and it's a downstream O2 sensor code.

Do these diesels have O2 sensors or is it a temp sensor of some sort.

Like I said there is not a CEL but it seems to me that I maybe should be getting better fuel mileage.

So far I've had one tank at 26mpg and my last one was 24.75 with at least forty minutes of idling on it.

Pretty much all highway going between 75 and 80MPH.

Why do you think there would be an ECM code of P2A01?

I've looked up oxygen sensors on several online parts stores and nothing really comes up. When I searched one site (GMpartsonline.net) I did find one and it's only $40...

What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:24 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I don't know why you're getting that ECM code. From what I remember reading on here, that code might be your O2 sensor. Were there any other codes popping up?

As for gas mileage, I wish I could have 26 mpg going 75 or 80 mph. I think your truck is only rated at 22 city and 31 hwy? Maybe slowing down to 65-70 mph and see how the mileage looks.

Gerry

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW CCSB 4X4 LTZ Z71
LML, 6 Spd Allison, 2nd owner and my First diesel ever, B&W Turnoverball Goose Neck,
Pace Edwards BedLocker Tonneau Cover, Sulastic Shackles, Tinted Windows, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar(TheBigWig),
Airlift Ultimate 5000 Airbags with Wireless Air, Fass Titanium 150GPH Lift Pump, AVS Bug/Hood Protector, Autocal, Edge Insight CS2

Soon to get: maybe more tint, Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, LED Lightbar or Flood Lights, Train or Air Horn
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather2u View Post
I don't know why you're getting that ECM code. From what I remember reading on here, that code might be your O2 sensor. Were there any other codes popping up?

As for gas mileage, I wish I could have 26 mpg going 75 or 80 mph. I think your truck is only rated at 22 city and 31 hwy? Maybe slowing down to 65-70 mph and see how the mileage looks.
I didn't know diesels had O2 sensors. Of course, I've only ever had older diesels from the 80's and 90's but none of them had O2 sensors.

That is the only code that comes up and it came up after I cleared it once before.

If I slow down that much I'll be driving forever.

I drive 50K miles a year.

Thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 01:01 AM

Instead of 02 sensor maybe it is a NO2 sensor. That measures the quality or amount of your DEF usage and its effectiveness.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:26 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Yes, as Mikey52 stated...NO2 sensor. Sorry, like I said "from what I remember." I've had my truck for only 4 years, my first diesel, and I'm still learning. Actually, why wouldn't diesels have 02 sensors?

Gerry

2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD SRW CCSB 4X4 LTZ Z71
LML, 6 Spd Allison, 2nd owner and my First diesel ever, B&W Turnoverball Goose Neck,
Pace Edwards BedLocker Tonneau Cover, Sulastic Shackles, Tinted Windows, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar(TheBigWig),
Airlift Ultimate 5000 Airbags with Wireless Air, Fass Titanium 150GPH Lift Pump, AVS Bug/Hood Protector, Autocal, Edge Insight CS2

Soon to get: maybe more tint, Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection, LED Lightbar or Flood Lights, Train or Air Horn

Last edited by GodFather2u; 05-31-2019 at 06:29 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

OK, thanks. No CEL light yet though. Just a stored code. I did find a NOX sensor listed online for this truck. That makes much more sense. Do you think I should wait until I get a CEL or replace it now? MPG seems fine and no other issues to report performance wise.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFather2u View Post
Yes, as Mikey52 stated...NO2 sensor. Sorry, like I said "from what I remember." I've had my truck for only 4 years, my first diesel, and I'm still learning. Actually, why wouldn't diesels have 02 sensors?
I suspect that's because diesel and gasoline engines produce different kinds of pollutants. Different sensors are needed maybe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode