Colorado Diesel Parts - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2016+ XLD28 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '16 and up XLD28 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

This is the feedback from our first guy. We are waiting on a second guy to get his on for his feedback.

----------
I was using voice dictation on my phone on the drive home to jot down my observations on differences I noticed.
I didn't expect to notice much with only the upgrades to the airflow. Well, not only do the changes look great,
they also seem to improve on an already pretty awesome design from Chevy.

1) The truck seems to shift a little harder. This may indicate more responsiveness. If it is responsiveness,
then that might be a positive. It did smooth out later on. This might also be the truck trying to engage 4wd.
I was almost to the Lawrence exit before I notice the switch was in the wrong position. It didn't engage,
though, and I made sure I didn't screw anything up when I got home.

2) You guys managed to break my 50 mile average fuel mileage through Kansas City where my new record is 32.5 MPG.
This is a 2.0 MPG improvement over my past 30.5 MPG. This includes some slow traffic and a minor traffic jam.
Most of the time my speed didn't exceed 60 MPH.

3) The highway RPMs are lower than before the new breathing tubes. I ran a steady 2000 RPM at 70 MPH where I
now run 1800 RPMs at 70 MPH.

4) There is more underhood noise than before. For someone hoping to fool people into thinking this is a gas
engine, this could be a negative. For me, I love people asking if it really has a diesel engine in it! A
little more noise that screams 'Babymax' is a great thing.

5) I drove for a bit with the windows down at <40 MPH and could lightly hear the turbo kick in. Previously,
it was nearly impossible to hear the turbo.

6) I can't be sure of this one, but it seems to accelerate to highway speeds on entrance ramps a little quicker.
That might just be perception.

Also, since you have another Colorado that will be testing some parts, it might be good to find out if he has
a tonneau cover on his or not when looking at MPG comparisons. I've read the tonneau cover will add 2-3 MPG, alone.

So far, it's looking good! I'll try to note any new observations and let you know. If you have any new ideas
after we get moved, let me know and I'll try to get the truck to you.

Thank you very much!

Jason

My 24th Duramax is the StudeMAX drag car!!

Special Thanks to my Sponsors!!

Danville Performance, SoCal Diesel, Vibrant Performance, & ProFab Performance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Rick,

Second day update:

1) It looks like I am still averaging a +2 MPG increase, even while at city speeds. Because it is a lot of stop & go traffic, I'm using the computerized average which is holding fairly steady between 25 & 26 MPG. The stopping drops the average (naturally), while steady 40 mph speeds are showing 35 - 40 MPG. With a light foot, the truck used to show 22-24 MPG averages in the city, which is reflective of the rated 21 MPG City rating.

2) Since I purchased the truck (stock), I've notice the little 4-cylinder has a definite 'sweet spot' for the best fuel mileage. In the top gear (6th) it really liked 60 mph before the upgrades. My best fuel mileage numbers have come from that cruising speed. Since the upgrades, the truck has a new 'sweet spot.' Now the best mileage for the highway is 68 mph, which is better for me since most highway driving is now 65+ mph. I've also noticed, as referred to previously, a new 'sweet spot' appearing at 40 mph. This is in a lower gear, but the truck is finding the right power to maintain these speeds at the best fuel economy. The 68 mph point is running a steady 28-30 MPG, while the 40 mph point is showing 35-40 MPG.

3) I have a little oil seepage coming from the front boot of the boost tube. According to what I've read, the oil is normal as the oil recirculates and is reinserted into the cylinders after the turbo. I'm hoping the seepage can be stopped by tightening the clap connecting the boost tube to the front boot. This is common after installing a Banks boost tube to a larger diesel engine.

4) Since I restarted the truck a few times, another difference I noticed is how the motor first starts. The first cylinder fire after the starter rolls the engine 'lurches' the truck more than any of the gas vehicles I've owned, including a previous Towanda 454 and my SSR's 6.0 LS2. My step-father's diesel does the same thing when first fired up. It makes sense due to the more violent pressurized explosion of a diesel engine vs the sparked explosion of a gas engine. Since the upgrades, the first crank over seems a little more violent. I'm leaning toward the assumption that the engine has more available free air (oxygen) at start-up to compress at ignition. This results in a slightly harder 'first-fire.' All of the other minor changes since the intake upgrades would back up this theory.

The service manager at the dealership took a little time to look at the upgrades and ask some questions. He is curious about the power numbers after the changes, too. He thought all three tubes looked really good and, when compared to the stock tubes, clearly saw the improvements in air flow over OE.

If I can give you any more updates, I'll keep them coming.

Have a great day!

Jason

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:31 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Nice work on the tubes!!

Curious, as to any other changes besides those on the truck?

Wondering how new CAC tubes would lower the rpms by [email protected]

Jim
__________________________________________________ _
2003 Chevy 2500hd crew cab 4x4, D/A

Just a few aftermarket goodies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

No other changes. My guess is if indeed the rpm changed it is because we changed where the convertor locks up. That's the only thing I can come up with.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:52 PM

Sub'd!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DieselCrumpler likes this.

2017 DENALI L5P LEVELED ON 34'S
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 AM

Garage
Me too.

@RickDLance

whatcha got cooking?

VERY interested in anything to improves fuel economy or something that improves power without negatively impacting fuel economy.

I bought this truck instead of an Accord

2017 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:37 AM

Garage
Any chance of running a package of these three parts at a discount for someone wanting to jump right in?
https://profabperformance.com/jm2/in...olorado-canyon

Also, I imagine you're looking for 'local' guys for tests and reviews and stuff.
I'm willing, but on the East Coast.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali Diesel
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Folowing
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

We have updated our cool side pipe to do away with the OEM rubber hose that tends to fail.
Attached Images

Last edited by RickDLance; 01-26-2018 at 09:34 AM.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselCrumpler View Post
Any chance of running a package of these three parts at a discount for someone wanting to jump right in?
https://profabperformance.com/jm2/in...olorado-canyon

Also, I imagine you're looking for 'local' guys for tests and reviews and stuff.
I'm willing, but on the East Coast.
If you find a place that is willing to test and 'build' our Canyons, let me know too. I see you're in VA, where at? I'm located between D.C. and Baltimore, MD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode