2016 Colorado check engine light came on at 400 miles - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2016+ XLD28 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '16 and up XLD28 Duramax Trucks No Advertising

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

2016 Colorado check engine light came on at 400 miles

I have had my Colorado Duramax for 1 week. I really like the truck. I'm a little frustrated though that at 400 miles the check engine light came on. I called the dealership and they said to bring it in. On the way there I had Onstar run a diagnostic on the truck. They said it had something to do with emissions system. The dealer had it for a day. They said it was a programming issue and that the Chevy engineers know about the problem. They (Chevy engineers) are working on a fix. The dealership said there is nothing wrong that they could find. They reset the code and said that I have to wait on the new programming fix. If the engine light came on again, it wouldn't be something that threw the truck into "limp mode" and that it wouldn't hurt the truck. I just wouldn't be able to use my remote start.

Has anyone else had any similar problems like this? Like I said earlier, I like the truck, but really frustrated that I've had to have it serviced at 400 miles.

Jeromy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 07:22 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Are you running fuel additive?

My 24th Duramax is the StudeMAX drag car!!

Special Thanks to my Sponsors!!

Danville Performance, SoCal Diesel, Vibrant Performance, & ProFab Performance!!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

I haven't added any fuel additives. Hadn't even made it through the first tank of fuel from dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 11:43 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

That sucks. A friend of mine has one and it has 2200 miles on it and the check engine light kept coming on. They told him to stop using fuel additive and it fixed it.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

My 24th Duramax is the StudeMAX drag car!!

Special Thanks to my Sponsors!!

Danville Performance, SoCal Diesel, Vibrant Performance, & ProFab Performance!!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 12:05 AM

Just purchased diesel/colorado new @ 84 miles check engine light came on and remote start does not work. Taking to dealer tomorrow morning. Love the truck
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

It's most likely code P2A00. It's an exhaust sensor that doesn't sense enough air flow through the exhaust system and throws the check engine light on. Once that light is on, it disables the remote start. My dealer said that it won't hurt the truck to drive it like that. They say it's a programming issue w/ the system, but Chevy hasn't come out w/ a program update to fix it yet. Mine has 550 miles and has been in the shop twice now. I told them to keep it until it's fixed. It's ridiculous that I paid that much and it's throwing these codes. My service advisor told me yesterday they were trying to get a hold of the regional Chevy mobile engineer. We'll see what they say today.

Good luck!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

This week marks the third in 3 weeks I've had my truck in at the dealership. This week apparently they have brought in a Chevy engineer. They told me that he hooked up his computer and ran some tests. He was supposed to coordinate w/ another engineer back at the home office, but that guy had taken the day off. Yesterday he spoke w/ the home office, and ran some more tests, and still no answers apparently. Nothing against my dealership service department, but this sucks. 3 multiple day stays at the service department in 3 weeks, all with less then 700 miles on a brand new truck. I'm pissed. We'll see what today brings, but I'm about to say go find me another truck.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Apparently it's not a software issue after all. The Chevy engineer brought in a testing apparatus that put the exhaust system under 12 psi. By doing that, they found that the ERG valve was leaking. So they ordered the parts to fix it. As I understand it, this is an 8 hour fix and that they have to take apart most of the engine to access the valve.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 AM

i have a 2016 colorado duramax bought in october 2016. the first colorado duramax sold by my dealer. last night I had the check engine light on and of course that disables remote start. called the dealer this morning and have an appointment to leave it on friday. out of curiousity I ran the onstar diagnostics from my smart phone and it said unable to reach hotspot. so I went out to truck (aluminum siding on house) started the truck and ran the onstar diagnostics again. the check engine
cleared. I shut it off and remote start now works and the check engine light is off. called the dealer back and he said hopefully the check engine code is still in history. i have also had numerous other intermittent electrical problems
with the truck. the wipers stop in mid window when on high, the driver's window won't go down when dropping of a letter at post office, the other 3 windows worked. shutting of truck and restarting and the driver's window works again.
Other problems, experienced only when temps are single digit are dash lights go out for several minutes and then re-appear on their own. dash lights also flicker once in a while, I have also had service rear vision system appear but camera still works, and last when starting truck with key, the engine will crank for a second, it sounds like truck started but didn't and further cranking won't work till I turn key clear off and restart. I love the mileage of the truck 23.5 to 24.5 mpg around town and 27.9 - 28.1 on long trips on interstate. the truck tows my boat pretty well too (approx 3500 pounds) but of course mileage drops into the 16-17 mpg range. alll of these annoying electrical problems have me concerned in the long haul. truck now has 5500 miles on it.
I have a family connection to the wentzville plant in missouri. My the husband of my wife's cousin works there having transferred from a GM facility in muncie indiana
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

I went to pick up my plates at the dealership last week. Talking to my sales person, he sold a Colorado to a customer (I can't remember if he said that it was diesel or not) and the whole computer went out. Nothing showed up on infotainment screen or driver info screen. He only had a couple hundred miles on it when it happened. I hope that is not the case for you pewhite2, but it sounds closer to the symptoms you're describing. When you get it into the dealer, if the check engine code is P2A00, that is what mine kept throwing. It had a tech ticket through Chevy and the most likely fix is to replace the ERG valve. If it's the computer going bad, good luck. Still a warranty fix, if they get it diagnosed. Hopefully you can get it straightened out and can enjoy the truck as much as I am enjoying mine now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in