Banks...switch or iDash? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Banks...switch or iDash?

After all of the hoopla with the EPA, I can say I'm compliant now. Picked up a 2019 and want to just give it that extra little bit, not looking for a race truck. I am excited to see how the Edge Pulsar works and real world results but seeing as it is not released yet...the banks derringer it is. I have searched the various threads pertaining this but was unable to find one with answers regarding what the switch doesn't do that the idash does other than only getting 3 vs 6 power levels and being able to monitor different parameters which being a "smart tuner" I don't know that it is necessary. So for those of you with just the switch any complaints? how do you perform the updates on the derringer without the idash? I personally am not a fan of the iDash and wish I could continue to use my CTS2 in conjunction with the derringer but since I cant just looking what to do? Thought process being run the derringer...see how I like it...if I don't, then when the pulsar is released I can try that and use my CTS2. I am planning on doing some dyno runs stock, with the derringer, and then modify the factory airbox to see if opening the side will essentially give the extra 10-20 hp that the aftermarket CAI are claiming. Also I WILL NOT be stacking a derringer and pulsar, I will gladly let someone else be the test dummy for that, not looking to be like a early 2000's dodge stacking chips. Also I want to verify the switch...is stock, power level 3 and power level 6 from what I can find? Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:35 PM

i had EFI live on 2009 and my 2020 hd will have Banks when they come out for new models. i like how it defaults to factory if looses power. i have I dash on my 2020 already so it is ready .
its a Block8head- not cheap but very nice
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Wc...w1542-h1156-no

2020 GMC 2500HD Carbon Black Denali- 20% tint ,Black emblems, Bakflip Mx4 cover . Banks Idash

Brian- SOLD- Carbon Black Met 2009 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD SLT
EFI LIVE by Danville Performance

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:42 PM

If you're going to tune it i would wait for PPEI or someone along those lines to come out with emmissions compliant tunes for the truck. I'm sure their tunes will blow the banks and edge out the water. Right now being able to only add 60-80HP max with these devices aren't worth it IMO

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 PM

banks got 500hp and 1000tq on wheels - not too bad
Ron505 likes this.

2020 GMC 2500HD Carbon Black Denali- 20% tint ,Black emblems, Bakflip Mx4 cover . Banks Idash

Brian- SOLD- Carbon Black Met 2009 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD SLT
EFI LIVE by Danville Performance

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:44 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

even when they come out with the emissions tunes, its still gonna be really expensive to tune it.

17 GMC 2500HD DENALI CCSB L5P 4X4

08 CHEVY 2500HD LT CCSB 4X4 Sold!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I don’t need more than 60-80 over stock. Just enough to give it a little extra umphh. Under $1k for that or $3500 for more power and footprint on ecm...I’m good
Ron505 likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So GDP is releasing a 100hp plug and play module. Doesn’t tie into the OBD port. Just to the map and frp sensors...bypassing would mean some of the factory safe guards would be bypassed I’m guessing...but if it gives you even close to the 100 advertised number, that would be pretty sweet and it’s only $399
Ron505 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 06:15 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Just installed the Derringer... noticeable improvement... Haven't towed w it yet... I say I-dash....

Monitoring parameters is a nice option, incase you experience issues, it'll be nice to have info to trouble shoot, but having the capability to read DTC right there and clear if need is an added bonus...
Attached Images

Ron505 likes this.

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 10:38 AM
DF Sponsors

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mrmanners
The Derringer is a great product. From having the IDash Data Monster on my 20, I have to update it with a micro SD card so I am fairly sure you would have to have the Idash to keep it up to date. Someone who has just the Derringer should chime in to better answer that. For what its worth, the data monster is a great tool. It has most if not more capability than the Edge. I had a CTS2 in my previous LML and liked it too. The Idash is just smaller and doesn't block your view if you window mount it.

I too have a 2020 but we are going with PPEIs ecu swap and custom street performance tuning. We started testing yesterday but hit a snag with it and had to table it until next week with Kory is back in the office at PPEI. While more expensive, the power levels and overall driveability should be better than the Derringer. That is an opinion and I know everyone has an opinion on that.....

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.
Ron505 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I went ahead and ordered the derringer and it will be here tomorrow. Talking to banks, it shipped with the most current update and seeing as I went with just the switch, they will update it for free I just have to cover shipping. Also GDP got back with me and they do not have a ETA for their module to be released but the perk of it is I would have access to my OBD port for the CTS2 with either the EDGE Pulsar or GDP module so I am going to hold of purchasing an iDash. Also DMAXSTORE has a 4" filter back exhaust shipped for $203...not so much interested in any gains but rather a side exit instead of straight back. I cant wait to get on a dyno and start testing these side by side with and without a CAI/exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode