Banks Ram Air differential cover - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 08:26 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I'm curious if a sight glass can be added to the AAM cover. Banks does not sell theirs as a separate part. aFe sells their sight glass separately but I'm guessing the thread size won't work on a factory cover.

I found this sight glass: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/64829260

Which has the correct thread size based on this: Installation Parts and Kits: Vents, Drain/Fill Plugs | American Axle & Manufacturing | Aftermarket OE Parts

But the threads are a lot shorter than the factory fill plug...

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 11:48 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Testing the breakaway ears

https://www.facebook.com/bankspower/...9208633652675/
NHfireDmax likes this.

2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD LML CC/SB 4x4 Denali S&B CAI, Resonator delete, Retrofit source HID, Rigid Ind Dot fog lights, Method NV HD 18x9 +18 wheels, Amp steps, EDGE INSIGHT CTS 2, King 2.5 Oem performance series shocks, 30inch OnX6 Baja Designs light bar.

Last edited by Evil1974; 10-22-2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: adding
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxdan2500 View Post
I'm curious if a sight glass can be added to the AAM cover. Banks does not sell theirs as a separate part. aFe sells their sight glass separately but I'm guessing the thread size won't work on a factory cover.

I found this sight glass: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/64829260

Which has the correct thread size based on this: Installation Parts and Kits: Vents, Drain/Fill Plugs | American Axle & Manufacturing | Aftermarket OE Parts

But the threads are a lot shorter than the factory fill plug...
Replacing the fill plug with a sight glass might do you no good since I think the fill level should be just below the threads. I have never seen one up close but just by looking at the pics there appears to be a large machined area below the fill plug. Since there are a large variety of sight glass available maybe you could drill and tap threads in the cover to accept one ?

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:09 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Good point about the level of the drain plug. Duh.

My AAM diff cover came in today. It looks pretty nice. As you can see this one doesn't have the flat spot below the drain plug. Different revision maybe...

Now I just need to decide on the color for powder coat. Matte black would be fine, but I might go with red to match my WCFab piping.
Attached Images

ShopSpecialties likes this.

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 04:11 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

*fill plug

I wish I could edit posts...

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:30 PM

Another 22 posts and you can.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:38 PM

Fresh off the lot and only just arrived, Banks engineers wasted little time getting the new 2020 GMC Sierra Denali on the lift for its initial once-over and 3D scan. As soon as that was done, the exhaust came off and fabrication had begun!

Here's the tentative list of Banks performance parts for the 2020 Duramax L5P: The 5" Zero-Backpressure Monster-Exhaust with SideKickô tip will likely be the first part available followed by the Derringer tuner, Ram-Air cold air intake, Ram-Air diff cover, and intercooler.

It's no secret that the new Duramax 2500HD and 3500HD have a tow rating of up to 35,500 lbs putting the impressive 910 lb-ft of torque to good use. With that beefy tow rating comes new, heavy duty parts and better thermal management like an updated air intake system, huge 28" fan, improved radiator and intercooler as well as a new rear axle. After almost 19 years, GM engineers finally decided this was the year to update the axle housing to accommodate a giant 12" ring gear in the 3500HD. It's still a 14-bolt configuration but the pattern is a little different.

2020 GMC 2500HD Carbon Black Denali- 20% tint ,Black emblems, Bakflip Mx4 cover . Banks Idash

Brian- SOLD- Carbon Black Met 2009 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD SLT
EFI LIVE by Danville Performance

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 03:58 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

A year ago Banks starts this video on aftermarket rear diff covers. It takes a good month or two to get their research nailed down that flatback covers are worse than the stock cover. I found their research very interesting and sub'd to their site and link on this. Now comes the irritating part. They say they are gonna make their own cover, which we all know is gonna be WAY better than any aftermarket since they found allthe flaws and will also be better than the stock cover. I called Banks in early January and was told it's in manufacturing and will be released in the spring. Spring came and went and still nothing. I called out there again and hear that now it's now going to be released until late fall. Its spring time, my truck is out of storage and ready for towing season. I dont have time to wait. I scoured the internet looking for a finned AAM one and everyone was out of stock. I was about ready to give up and stumbled on a place in North Carolina. Send it! 2 days later I got it and took it to my powdercoater. I've got a bit less into the AAM one compared to the Banks one. They both keep the same capacity of fluid and it would have been interesting on the findings of the finned AAM vs Banks. Yes, there are 2 bolts missing. At the time of installation the company I got my stainless bolts from only had 12. So I took those and got it put on and put the other 2 in the next nite.
Attached Images

2015 3500HD LTZ Crew, Dually, 4x4, B&W Turnover/Companion, Mag Hytech DD trans pan and read diff cover, bone stock
99 2500 Cummins in frame off restoration (slow process)
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...sto-build.html
2017 Northpoint 375BHFS
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 04:59 PM

what p/n or link to the diff cover for a 2016 2500hd? or are they all the same.

2002 GMC 2500HD, ECSB, 4WD, LB7
new style gm exhaust manifold, banks big head wastegate, PPE boost valve, banks air intake,high idle switch in cruise control, stock but not for long
EFI live tuned by me now,dps5 switch,EGT probe and autometer boost sensor,SoCal 6spd conversion

2016 GMC Denali stock for now
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron LML View Post
A year ago Banks starts this video on aftermarket rear diff covers. It takes a good month or two to get their research nailed down that flatback covers are worse than the stock cover. I found their research very interesting and sub'd to their site and link on this. Now comes the irritating part. They say they are gonna make their own cover, which we all know is gonna be WAY better than any aftermarket since they found allthe flaws and will also be better than the stock cover. I called Banks in early January and was told it's in manufacturing and will be released in the spring. Spring came and went and still nothing. I called out there again and hear that now it's now going to be released until late fall. Its spring time, my truck is out of storage and ready for towing season. I dont have time to wait. I scoured the internet looking for a finned AAM one and everyone was out of stock. I was about ready to give up and stumbled on a place in North Carolina. Send it! 2 days later I got it and took it to my powdercoater. I've got a bit less into the AAM one compared to the Banks one. They both keep the same capacity of fluid and it would have been interesting on the findings of the finned AAM vs Banks. Yes, there are 2 bolts missing. At the time of installation the company I got my stainless bolts from only had 12. So I took those and got it put on and put the other 2 in the next nite.
Where did you get stainless bolts from? The Banks came with chrome plated and I work near the beach and think they might not hold up over time.

2019 Silverado 2500HD High Country 4wd

2014 Chevy SS, Magnuson supercharger, custom tune by Redline Motorsports (dyno'd at 530hp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode