Pulled Banks Derringer and Intake Due to Dealers Refusing Service - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 06:30 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post

According to the FTC, using aftermarket or recycled/re-manufactured parts doesn't void a vehicle warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void a warranty or deny coverage under the warranty because an aftermarket or recycled part was used.

Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the automobile.
Let me start by saying I'm on your side. But, Don't expect service writers to be any more knowledgeable than an auto parts store cashier. I recommend you print any supporting documentation and give that to them rather than expect them to take your word. As someone who owns a service business, I can tell you that customer's are quite often full of shit and they're going to be on guard. #1 out of warranty claim (unrelated to your case) "but the problem started before the end of the warranty". A long shot suggestion is to contact Banks and see if they'll contact the dealer and educate them on the product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:35 PM

I have a 2018 and Live in the same area and have had similar issues with trying to get the dealers to even adequately investigate issues under warranty and my truck is bone stock. They are more than willing to sell me maintenance plans, etc but when I have a complaint about something they never seem to be able to reproduce it. Last time I gave detailed instructions on how to reproduce a vibration issue and was told they did everything they could to reproduce but had no luck. The mileage on the truck was the same as when I dropped it off, so they obviously tried really hard. That was at Seiner. My experience with Riverton includes 4 repeat visits to fix a coolant leak that they caused in the first place. I eventually gave up on them and took it to Siener, where, to their credit, they did at least address that issue. Unfortunately, unless something blatantly blows up I get the feeling that the dealerships are doing anything they can to avoid warranty work, so I can see them jumping at the chance to decline work due to modifications. Unfortunately, I don't think the issue is brand-specific and it is likely a compensation issue between the manufacturer and the dealer. But it sure hasn't done much for my impression of quality and service from General Motors.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4595 View Post
Unfortunately, unless something blatantly blows up I get the feeling that the dealerships are doing anything they can to avoid warranty work, so I can see them jumping at the chance to decline work due to modifications. Unfortunately, I don't think the issue is brand-specific and it is likely a compensation issue between the manufacturer and the dealer. But it sure hasn't done much for my impression of quality and service from General Motors.
I feel your pain, brother. As I'm sure do others...

City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC: "It's operating as designed" or "That's normal wear & tear" were their favorite excuses.

Right... my gasser was designed to shift at 2000 RPM while at full throttle. The paint coming off the rims of a 6 month old truck is normal wear & tear. Etc, etc... They (all dealers) earned the name 'stealership'
GMC-GDM and NHfireDmax like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:43 PM

The GMC dlr in Reno did the same thing with my truck when left overnight with them to address the headlights, they never drove it. This is my last GM product because of their lack of backing up their product. Instead of professional grade, this thing is maybe 2nd year apprentice grade.
GMC-GDM likes this.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 05:50 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
Presumably you're not the only one out there.

What does everyone else do?
What I did was follow the advice in print instructions that came with all of my tuners, remove the tuner if you have to go into the dealer for work.
Out of sight out of mind.

Of course if your deleted then that’s a little more work.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 10:54 PM

Did Banks give you a CARB approval certificate with the exemption number on it? My Edge Evolution CTS2 came with one. I dont know if I will ever need it but I put it in the glove box anyway.
Dales Super Store likes this.

06 2500HD CCSB 4wd LBZ | Fleece Trans cooler lines |Edge Evolution CTS2 w/ EGT probe| Bilstein 5100s|Michelin Defender LTX M/S LRE| "OEM" Turbo Brake | Airlift # 88275 airbags
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by e4595 View Post
I have a 2018 and Live in the same area and have had similar issues with trying to get the dealers to even adequately investigate issues under warranty and my truck is bone stock. They are more than willing to sell me maintenance plans, etc but when I have a complaint about something they never seem to be able to reproduce it. Last time I gave detailed instructions on how to reproduce a vibration issue and was told they did everything they could to reproduce but had no luck. The mileage on the truck was the same as when I dropped it off, so they obviously tried really hard. That was at Seiner. My experience with Riverton includes 4 repeat visits to fix a coolant leak that they caused in the first place. I eventually gave up on them and took it to Siener, where, to their credit, they did at least address that issue. Unfortunately, unless something blatantly blows up I get the feeling that the dealerships are doing anything they can to avoid warranty work, so I can see them jumping at the chance to decline work due to modifications. Unfortunately, I don't think the issue is brand-specific and it is likely a compensation issue between the manufacturer and the dealer. But it sure hasn't done much for my impression of quality and service from General Motors.
Well said. Couldn’t have said it better myself. Riverton was also the dealership that caused another issue with my truck by not properly installing a replacement steering gear box under warranty. The lazy technician simply hand-threaded the three bolts in the new gear box then proceeded to use an impact gun to over tighten the gear box to the frame without properly aligning it with the steering linkage. This caused the pitman arm to be significantly higher than the idler arm putting the centerlink at an angle which caused six tie rod failures before I gave up on Riverton’s technicians and fixed it myself (warranty violation). They even had the audacity to tell me there was nothing wrong with the truck when it had finally broken the idler arm too. Unless I have a catastrophic failure I will eat the cost of parts and fix myself. BTW ... put a Rare Parts heavy duty idler in my truck that manhandles my 4 inch lift and 35’s ... and as a bonus ... no more grease zirk that is hard to access ... https://shop.rareparts.com/HLRP180-2...VERADO~3500~HD

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4 Suspension Lift w/ Heavy Duty Tie Rods, 35 Tires on 18x8.5 Vision Valor Wheels, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Roll Bar (Sport Bar 2.0) w/ 8 Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer, Kryptonite Heavy Duty Pitman and Idler Arm, Centramatics

Last edited by UTEngineer; 11-18-2019 at 08:46 PM.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
What I did was follow the advice in print instructions that came with all of my tuners, remove the tuner if you have to go into the dealer for work.
Out of sight out of mind.

Of course if your deleted then that’s a little more work.
Problem is my Derringer and iDash are properly installed and all the wires in the engine compartment and cab are carefully routed and zip tied for a very clean and professional installation. If I experience an issue on the side of the road requiring warranty roadside assistance, I must cut all zip ties, carefully remove all wires, Derringer and iDash BEFORE calling GM for assistance ... or risk paying for the towing fee plus all otherwise warranty-covered charges at the dealership. Now try doing this on the side of the road at -20 degrees F in a January snowstorm. As you can see ... removing the Derringer is not as simple as unplugging it from the OBDII port.
Busa Dave likes this.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4 Suspension Lift w/ Heavy Duty Tie Rods, 35 Tires on 18x8.5 Vision Valor Wheels, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Roll Bar (Sport Bar 2.0) w/ 8 Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer, Kryptonite Heavy Duty Pitman and Idler Arm, Centramatics

Last edited by UTEngineer; 11-18-2019 at 09:15 PM.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Parking ditches ? There are plenty of GM trucks at the mines, Ledcor runs GM trucks. Newmont and Barrick are certainly Ford biased. A lot of it comes down to the dealer they have to deal with.
Seen many of the Ledcor trucks running around ... most with ripped up air deflectors under the front bumpers ... ready to fall off in the road after the next major bump. In the old days it was simple ... just remove the air deflector. But GM in their infinite wisdom decided to make it a larger part of the front bumper ... that no longer can be removed without making the front end of the truck look stupid because something significant is missing on the front of the truck. Thankfully GM has improved the front bumper / air deflector clearance on the new 2020 models ... and even put a bigger tires on ... a step in the right direction.

post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post
Problem is my Derringer and iDash are properly installed and all the wires in the engine compartment and cab are carefully routed and zip tied for a very clean and professional installation. If I experience an issue on the side of the road requiring warranty roadside assistance, I must cut all zip ties, carefully remove all wires, Derringer and iDash BEFORE calling GM for assistance ... or risk paying for the towing fee plus all otherwise warranty-covered charges at the dealership. Now try doing this on the side of the road at -20 degrees F in a January snowstorm. As you can see ... removing the Derringer is not as simple as unplugging it from the OBDII port.
LOL Been There Done That! My 2015 Cummins had a duration box that plugged into the injector wiring harness in the front and rear of the engine. Yes it is a PIA to take on and off BUT if you want to play and not Pay then you got to do it!

2020 GMC Denali 2500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode