Pulled Banks Derringer and Intake Due to Dealers Refusing Service - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Pulled Banks Derringer and Intake Due to Dealers Refusing Service

My local Chevy dealers have become such a pain in the a-s refusing to perform warranty services with the Banks items installed in my 2019 Chevy 3500 HD that I have pulled the Derringer / Intake and put my truck back to stock until the warranty is up ... at which time I will reinstall the Banks performance equipment. I want to throw a shout out to my local Chevy dealer that “You Suck!”

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4” Suspension Lift w/ 35’s, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Sport Bar 2.0 (Roll Bar) w/ 8” Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Valor Wheels, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
You aren’t being fair or realistic. EPA has their blood -lust up. They are after anyone they can catch, with heavy fines & operational penalties......Your diesel could be responsible for Planet Earth becoming uninhabitable in ten years. Plus there’s all those cute little bunny the EPA would like to bill for. Face it...we hog want reliable diesel motors are being”jammed” from every direction..!

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
You aren’t being fair or realistic. EPA has their blood -lust up. They are after anyone they can catch, with heavy fines & operational penalties......Your diesel could be responsible for Planet Earth becoming uninhabitable in ten years. Plus there’s all those cute little bunny the EPA would like to bill for. Face it...we hog want reliable diesel motors are being”jammed” from every direction..!
What amazes me is how ignorant the service personnel at my local Chevy dealer are about the L5P Duramax and the fact that the Banks Derringer is a “tuner”, not a “programmer” ... i.e. it does not rewrite the truck’s engine control module. The Derringer intercepts things like the fuel rail injection pressure after the engine control module and modifies those individual settings (from hours of careful testing at Banks facility). Banks was very careful and vocal about not circumventing or negatively affecting any emissions equipment or settings on the L5P. Anyone who knows Banks also knows they are located in Southern California where emissions are the most stringent in the US ... and the Banks Derringer on an L5P passes California emissions tests with flying colors. So not sure what you mean by correlating the EPA’s blood lust with my local Chevy dealer ... but I do agree the government’s mandated vehicle emission reductions have been unfairly focused primarily on diesel engines which has forced the manufacturers to install equipment that is less than reliable ... putting you and I as diesel owners in a bad place.
uprighter and 18jimmy2500 like this.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4” Suspension Lift w/ 35’s, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Sport Bar 2.0 (Roll Bar) w/ 8” Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Valor Wheels, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:16 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I don't see this as an emissions issue at all.

Banks brags about the extra horsepower and torque they provide.

GM warranties the horsepower and torque it was shipped with.

I don't understand why anyone expects GM to warranty anyone else's idea of what HP/tq levels are appropriate.
Derringer (or anyone else) should come with a 'replacement' powertrain warranty OR ensure that customers know that they are giving up powertrain protection.
rockn69, baden, jdwarren and 2 others like this.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
I don't see this as an emissions issue at all.

Banks brags about the extra horsepower and torque they provide.

GM warranties the horsepower and torque it was shipped with.

I don't understand why anyone expects GM to warranty anyone else's idea of what HP/tq levels are appropriate.
Derringer (or anyone else) should come with a 'replacement' powertrain warranty OR ensure that customers know that they are giving up powertrain protection.
The issue for which I went to the dealer was a P127C engine code. The service manager refused to let anyone look at it because it was “chipped” (all because he could see the Banks iDash display that was actually unhooked). The service manager should have the technical knowledge to understand that the L5P cannot be “chipped” ... just made him look foolish ... even the technician stated the service manager should know better. The point is it ended up being a dirty MAP sensor that had nothing to do with the Banks Derringer. Dealerships should be legally cautious refusing warranty service on vehicles because of aftermarket equipment that is installed.

According to the FTC, using aftermarket or recycled/re-manufactured parts doesn't void a vehicle warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void a warranty or deny coverage under the warranty because an aftermarket or recycled part was used.

Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the automobile.

Problem is I have been thru a 5 year lawsuit battle ... and even won ... if you call it that ... after 5 crappy years with attorneys and the “legal” court system. I will buy a Ford before I will go thru that crap again just to make an example of some stupid Chevy dealership ...
uprighter likes this.

Last edited by UTEngineer; 11-10-2019 at 09:53 PM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 06:35 AM

Garage
Why don't you just go to another dealer?
I have not been refused warranty service at 2 different dealers for Banks products on either truck.
Dales Super Store likes this.

2020 Sierra AT4 3500 Duramax
2018 Denali 2500HD L5P Derringer equipped
2018 Montana 3811MS Legacy 16400#2900pin
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:07 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic View Post
Why don't you just go to another dealer?
I have not been refused warranty service at 2 different dealers for Banks products on either truck.
............neither have I; my local dealer will accept my truck for service so long as the work requested has nothing to do with any relationship to the emission controls.

Again, can you blame individual privately owned businesses for being spooked by the potential costs & penalties? I agree-if you don’t like a private business’s policies....go somewhere else - guaranteed if someone tried to tell me how to run my own business.......well....!

Let’s try and keep a low profile....in my view, our greatest enemy is the borderline psycho cases who do wierd things to their trucks to try and attract attention.

The EPA is going to “rain on our parade”...........just a matter of time. Why make obvious pests of ourselves & thereby speed things up?

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:07 AM

Riverton ?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 07:10 AM

I agree its completely ignorant of them, its like a dealer saying they won't work on a truck w a lift / level kit...

But try another dealer...

BTW, the derringer is so easy to install remove... just run it and if you need service pull the wire and derringer unit... The idash is only a monitor......and can be left in place... is nothing but a port reader..

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post
The issue for which I went to the dealer was a P127C engine code. The service manager refused to let anyone look at it because it was “chipped” (all because he could see the Banks iDash display that was actually unhooked). The service manager should have the technical knowledge to understand that the L5P cannot be “chipped” ... just made him look foolish ... even the technician stated the service manager should know better. The point is it ended up being a dirty MAP sensor that had nothing to do with the Banks Derringer. Dealerships should be legally cautious refusing warranty service on vehicles because of aftermarket equipment that is installed.

According to the FTC, using aftermarket or recycled/re-manufactured parts doesn't void a vehicle warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void a warranty or deny coverage under the warranty because an aftermarket or recycled part was used.

Should something go wrong, the warranty provider will need to determine the cause of the problem. The Federal Trade Commission says, “The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.” That means if the dealer can prove (the burden is on the dealer) the problem was caused by the wrong viscosity or a poor quality oil filter, your warranty can be denied. Warranty protection would still be in effect for other parts of the automobile.

Problem is I have been thru a 5 year lawsuit battle ... and even won ... if you call it that ... after 5 crappy years with attorneys and the “legal” court system. I will buy a Ford before I will go thru that crap again just to make an example of some stupid Chevy dealership ...
If you think Ford is any better, Think again! When a Ford CP4 dies they will move heaven and earth to find the most minute speck bit of rust in an effort to refuse to warranty a known problem.
TCDiesel and Busa Dave like this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode