165 mph l5p - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Cool 165 mph l5p

I friend of mine is building a airplane in his garage, one evening while consuming adult beverages the discussion turn to the idea that my friend would need a chase truck for his planes first flight. After more adult beverages and a debate about air speed vs ground speed we determined my truck will need to go 165 MPH to keep up with the plane.

In doing a little research I found this program to figure out how much HP I will need.

Calculate HP For Speed

So here are my questions

1. Does anyone know what the actual drag of a 2019 2500HD actual is ??

2. If anyone know what the actual top speed of a stock truck is ??? If I knew that I could do the math backwards and figure the drag...

3. I am assuming that HP is what limits my top speed, but tires, and gearing might also be problems ????

If this thread sound stupid please consume some adult beverages until it make sense then reply

Thanks for any input

Bullwinkle
justapilgrim likes this.

Bullwinkle
2019 Alaskan Edition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:17 AM
Finally! Wheels on!

Maybe this would help

https://airandspace.si.edu/collectio...sted-take-unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bus
Looking for OBS interior parts: Graphite color code. (1999-2004 IIRC) Door panels for sure, but let me know what you have

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose2448 View Post
It's really complicated sounding, but it's easier than giving a fat girl a bucket of ice cream.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 05:35 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Gear Vendors Overdrive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 09:25 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Whatís the chances the truck would disintegrate at that speed and take you with it.
Might just want to stick with the adult beverages and keep this idea in the hanger.
Gearing, tires, I doubt Gear Vender would do enough to help and larger than life balls.
Invest in a vehicle thatís much lighter and capable of these speeds.
theJman likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 09:28 AM

Does the computer limit speed on a stock truck? I know they used to when i bought Tahoes

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle View Post

1. Does anyone know what the actual drag of a 2019 2500HD actual is ??

2. If anyone know what the actual top speed of a stock truck is ??? If I knew that I could do the math backwards and figure the drag...

3. I am assuming that HP is what limits my top speed, but tires, and gearing might also be problems ????

If this thread sound stupid please consume some adult beverages until it make sense then reply

Thanks for any input

Bullwinkle
1. & 2.: There are trucks that have gone that fast. Find them and see if the teams will reveal the HP.

3. You're probably looking at 1000+ HP. A gear vendors overdrive will increase top speed without gearing the diff so high it's undriveable. It will also allow you to split gears to help reach top speed.

Whether or not this thread is stupid depends on your budget. Speed is a question of money. It's not 'how fast can you go?' its 'how fast can you afford to go?'

The truck will not fly apart at that speed unless it's a rust bucket.
Hook'em_Horns! likes this.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 11:25 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
It's been done many times...older models,
1000+hp, full roll cage,...parachute...$$$$

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Junkie View Post

The truck will not fly apart at that speed unless it's a rust bucket.
Good Lord this is one of the most uniformed, unqualified statements I have ever read on here. There is virtually nothing in the drivetrain that was designed, qualified, manufactured to the tolerances to run at 165 mph. Everything from tires to driveshafts are included. Your throat your razor.

Got to ask yourself one question "do you feel lucky"? I have vehicles that are made and go faster than that --- they will not haul or pull the loads where I need them to be like my truck does.

2020 GMC Denali 2500
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:02 PM

Here are just a few things to consider.

The only aircraft that i know of that requires a chase vehicle is the U2. And, because of the speed needed for the chase, only high horse power sport cars are used. And, the only reasons for the chase car is so that the chase can communicate with the pilot regarding angle of attack (AOA) and wing proximity/angle to the ground during the landing evolution due to limited exterior vision from the cockpit.

Using the 165 MPH so called requirement equates to a landing/approach speed of 145 kts which is clearly in the multi-engined/heavy aircraft arena for approach and landing. This type of speed requirement is certainly not something that could be built in one's garage unless your garage says Boeing, Airbus or Lockheed Martin on the side.

Instead of attempting to find out if you truck will approach 165 MPH, you guys should really consider switching to a different type of adult beverage before you really get into trouble.
1TRIKHD likes this.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
Good Lord this is one of the most uniformed, unqualified statements I have ever read on here. There is virtually nothing in the drivetrain that was designed, qualified, manufactured to the tolerances to run at 165 mph. Everything from tires to driveshafts are included. Your throat your razor.

Got to ask yourself one question "do you feel lucky"? I have vehicles that are made and go faster than that --- they will not haul or pull the loads where I need them to be like my truck does.
Outrage culture much, keyboard warrior?

I was referring to the cab and chassis against the air drag. The drive train, wheels, tires, etc. will have to be addressed to even get anywhere near that speed. You act like I said all he has to do is drop a 1500 HP engine in an otherwise stock truck and let 'er rip, tater chip!!!

Seeing as how he could have gotten all this done by the end of the weekend, It's a good thing you called me out for being "uniformed". You probably saved lives today!

Well, in all fairness, I just got home from work so technically, I am still "uniformed"
ShopSpecialties likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode