Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Tuning on a 2017 duramax

184K views 157 replies 54 participants last post by  powerhaulic 
#1 ·
Ive looked everywhere, and mabye the numbers/parts just are not in yet, but has anyone tuned a 2017 yet? If so, what numbers did you see, and what kind of MPG did you get. If there is already a thread on this, a link would be great.

#4 ·
Thanks, I dont know much about this, but I wouldnt think the tunes would be as beneficial in the L5P as they were in my 2007 Classic because the L5P has more power to begin with. Would you think thats a fair assessment? As it stands the L5P has just a little less power than my 2007 C (tune, exhaust, cold air intake, down pipe). My main concern is gas mileage.

#9 ·
definitely curious when tuning will be available. not really looking for HP gains, but have noticed a few things can be dialed in. if they can make the injection fueling noise quiet at all times and tune out the odd knock when you let off the throttle.

Reactions: beau
#10 ·
I have a bit of a hard time understanding giving up your factory warranty on new unproven motor and misc systems on it or is it just wanting it out weighs the cost, now I am not criticizing those who want to so don't freak out, I am trying to learn if there is a loophole so I can do things to my 15 ?

#12 ·
carhauler, talk with your dealership. I had a chat with the service manager at the chevy dealership just down the road from my place when i had my 2011. He said theyd do anything to help cover the truck under the extended warranty i had on it if anything were to happen, even with it being deleted and tuned. as for my 17 i dont plan on touching anything for some time with it being a new platform. just curious when someone will have any kind of tuning and the calibrations it may change to help fully dial things in.

#14 ·
I hadn't thought about it voiding the warranty, I've never bought a brand new truck in my life, so I forget there is such a thing as warranty.

I did the math on my 07 before tuning, and if I drove the truck 300k miles with diesel prices of a few years ago, it saved me 4k dollars per MPG gained. If I gained 5 MPG that is saving me 20k for the life of the truck. I spent about 2k on tuning/exhaust, intake, down pipe, etc and gained about 10 MPG. 10 MPG is costing me 2k=38k in savings.

That said, the Allison started slipping not long after doing all this, which cost me 4k, but even at that, spending 6k, to save 40k is a win. Ive driven about 150k since doing all this, so I have already paid myself back, and then some.

#15 ·
Exactly the point that most people have been getting for years on here. Add to that the additional reliability you get when you don't have the constant irritating visits to the dealer because your NOX sensor is throwing a code, or some other DEF related pump widget is on the fritz, or a EGR sender capacitor is over reading. I had enough of those in the first 10 days of owning my first NEW AND UNDER WARRANTY LML and I quickly researched it and did the "work" to it. When I traded it on my next one, I drove it from the dealer straight to the workshop, up on the lift and deleted it the same day.

#19 ·
You can't beat the black box. Piggy back it, take it all the way back to stock - that black box tells the tale on you. Boost Pressure, Injection timing Rates, The multitude of timing advance and retard tables - all of this is recorded, take a look at your monthly OnStar report, and then go read the OnStar portion of your sales contract, it's hidden somewhere in that folder of paperwork you brought home from the dealer. Events, and Data from, and about your truck are streaming to GM when they choose, you cant hide from the man.

Stealth Performance ^^^^

~the Captain

2016 Chevy 2500Hd, PPEI tuned, CAT back exhaust, 2.5" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels/Nitto Terra Grapler G2's, Custom Cab lights, LED Fogs, Resonator deleted
This is a myth - Fairytale - you can't beat the syslogger in the CANBUS protocol.

I'm with Carhauler on this one - New Motor, 90% of it is new parts, including the core of the thing the Crank, rods and Pistons. - so far, it's little shit, but the tale is told after 50K, 100K, 200K, and 400K. I'll be keeping my Warranty on this one until it's up. Shit, it already feels like a street built TC with a Tow Tune on an LML right out of the gate.

AFIK, M.A.M. May be the one racking up miles the fastest, watch his info dump.

#18 ·
Stealth Performance ^^^^

~the Captain

2016 Chevy 2500Hd, PPEI tuned, CAT back exhaust, 2.5" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels/Nitto Terra Grapler G2's, Custom Cab lights, LED Fogs, Resonator deleted

#21 ·
Smh, there is NO way to hide it when you tune. No matter what anyone lies about. And tuning for the L5P isn't looking too promising right now. Hardest one to crack the code on, if it can even be cracked! I hope it can be, but it's gonna be very hard

#23 · (Edited)
What would be interesting is how to straight pipe back all the way on the LP5. With that damn box right behind the turbo and in an almost impossible position to get to. And if your going to do it right have everything removed, including DEF. Cap off the emission sud crap. Run it all out the exhaust. Then re-tune. And the hell with the warranty. Run until it drops.

#24 ·
The L5P tuning isn't like the lml was...thats been stated by most of the big name tuners in the industry......trust me, it will be a while, and very hard to do for the tuners.

Reactions: The Barracuda
#29 ·
I have seen some discussion on facebook about it...no feedback on it though......but still will void the warranty.

#31 ·
Yeah, well when something happens and gm looks into it and sees the parameters have changed, you will be dicked.....stealth performance claims the same thing but that's a lie too. There is always fine print somewhere ha

#41 ·
I am 100% positive if you tune it, they can tell. They can see calculated HP and TQ. The system also shows on the engineering side the amount of times the ecm has been flashed. Its MANDATORY for any engine, transmission replacement, the dealership has to download all of the ecm calibration history(this contains all code infomation also) and send it into engineering before they will release any parts. Tune it and the warranty on most critical parts will be void. They are really really smart with this stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.