“Chuggling” Issue on 2019 L5P Duramax - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:10 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Wow. Crazy. Hopefully they got it. This is the first I've heard of this issue.

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:40 PM

Any updates on this? My 2019 that I bought a month ago has been in the shop three times for this issue! Case has been reported to chevy. I have a video of this but have no clue how to post it on here.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:47 AM

Man these L5P’s seem to be somewhat trouble prone compared to past Dmax engines. Mine has been good so far but there seems to be a lot of issues online. The 1 guy said he has (5) 2018’s in their fleet and all do this. That’s insane that GM can’t fix this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2018 GMC SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 08:57 PM

https://youtu.be/j5D007eJ56U

This is what I'm feeling and hearing. Turn up your volume
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:08 AM

I can't thank you enough for posting this. I purchased my 2019 Chev Silverado Duramax late last fall. I have, like you been having this same problem since taking delivery (I didn't experience the issue during my test drive like one of the other posters). Initially, I experienced what I call a stall while accelerating onto the freeway or highway. It happened each time right around 50 mph and lasted only a second or two but was still nerve rattling when it happened. I also experienced the chugging you describe, first around 28 - 30 mph while going through my small town. Lately, it has also been happening at the same speeds you experience. Like you, I have had it to my dealer several times, though the first time or two I don't think they noted it on the service order as I had it there for other issues as well. The last time I took it in I told them to keep it till they figured it out. The put 500 miles on my truck and told me they never experienced the problem however. As mentioned by other posters, it doesn't happen every day and sometimes may not happen in a week (particularly if you are not driving it in the manner that it normally occurs). My wife finally hit her boiling point and called the sales person back and gave him a stiff talking to about how a $70,000 truck should not have these kind of issues. Since that call, the service mgr has called a couple of times and the last time, just yesterday, he told me that the GM field rep had been by and said that officially, GM is not acknowledging the issue as important. He did however, leave him with a bulletin on 2018 a transmission issue that he thinks might be related. He promised to bring a copy of the bulletin by in the next few days. Again, I can't thank you (all) enough for helping me to stop feeling like I am the only one in the world with this and maybe it is somehow just me.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBen View Post
Like you, I have had it to my dealer several times, though the first time or two I don't think they noted it on the service order as I had it there for other issues as well.
Make sure you get it documented from now on and then perhaps let them know you will be pursuing the lemon law. That might make them have a sense of urgency.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD, DMAX, CC, 4WD
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Changed out my fuel filter a few days ago at only 5,000 miles as a precaution and have not had the “chugging” issue occur since the filter change.

Like MBen said, sometimes it doesn’t happen for a week, so I am definitely “not out of the woods” yet.

Will let ya’ll know in the next few weeks if it occurs again.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package
Fabtech 4” Lift w/ 35’s, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Valor Wheels, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post
Changed out my fuel filter a few days ago at only 5,000 miles as a precaution and have not had the “chugging” issue occur since the filter change.

Like MBen said, sometimes it doesn’t happen for a week, so I am definitely “not out of the woods” yet.

Will let ya’ll know in the next few weeks if it occurs again.
I hope our results are different, but mine has done it since I changed my fuel filter which was about 6k miles ago.

I'm approaching 22k miles now, and the issue is much less frequent than it used to be. At this point, I want it fixed but the infrequency of it occurring has let me just live with it. As much as I want to force the issue onto a dealer for resolution, i simply can't afford the time for something that just doesn't happen regularly. Hopefully they really are working on the issue in the background and figure it out for all the affected owners. I guess it would be different if it was something I could easily reproduce and force to happen.

And, FWIW, I have also had it occur in Tow/Haul mode. I live in Colorado at 7500' elevation. The majority of my driving is between 5500'-8000' with the occasional mountain pass exceeding 10k'. I'm starting to wonder if this issue is environmentally related - I don't recall having the stumble occur when we drove (with enclosed trailer) to Green Bay, WI - which is obviously at a much lower elevation.

Just brainstorming here....

2020 GMC Sierra AT4 2500HD - Dark Sky Metallic

Sold - 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD - Dark Slate Metallic
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 08:46 PM

Actually, I have gone for a couple of weeks or so without experiencing the chugging and then I will have it happen 2 or more times in a single week. It sure is nerve-racking. I was glad to read the post that one person has also experienced it in tow/haul mode (my dealer asked me to run it in tow/haul for a while but after one afternoon of running errands, the birds with that idea).
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 05:08 AM

So for people having this issue is it always at higher altitudes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2018 GMC SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode