“Chuggling” Issue on 2019 L5P Duramax - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBen View Post
I have also heard that the new Duramax is putting out more hp and GM is a little worried about the transmission which is why they short shift the transmission (which they say is causing the problem).
From the spec's I've seen the 2020 looks to have the same HP and torque, but the Allison is now 10 speeds instead of 6. They probably beefed it up as well. I wonder if part of the reason GM locked the ECM so it can't be programmed was the current transmission would struggle to survive if you pushed over 1000 lb ft.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD, DMAX, CC, 4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theJman View Post
From the spec's I've seen the 2020 looks to have the same HP and torque, but the Allison is now 10 speeds instead of 6. They probably beefed it up as well. I wonder if part of the reason GM locked the ECM so it can't be programmed was the current transmission would struggle to survive if you pushed over 1000 lb ft.
Jman, I am sorry if I am doing this wrong but...
I think you are right on the money. The sales person pretty much said the same about the increased hp and GM not wanting to put that hp to the existing transmission. That's why they are short-shifting the transmission (I complained that the trans shifts up too fast and that's what he told me. I guess I should have waited for the 10-speed.
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:59 AM

“Chuggling” Issue on 2019 L5P Duramax

What would the cost be to up grade to the new 10 speed? That is once it’s out and available to the public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:49 PM

Every brand has their problems, at least the GM isn't going into limp mode due to a computer/ABS sensor glitch that can't be troubleshooted because it goes away if you restart. So far knock on wood my 2019 GMC 3500 does not have any issues, I would think that forcing a transmission relearn would help with the shifts. Makes me wonder what the troubleshooting process is at these dealers.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 08:00 PM

https://dirtyhookerdiesel.com/i-2407...hoCQ4IQAvD_BwE

This will help the Allison by maintaining pressure on the clutches at all times. But it does raise trans temps about 30 degrees
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primed81 View Post
Every brand has their problems
I totally agree, but isn't it sad how we've all begun to rationalize the multitude of problems? For what these trucks cost issues should be the exception to the rule, not the rule itself. It's as though there's an arms race to release the newest gee-whiz feature but in the process quality engineering has taken a back seat.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD, DMAX, CC, 4WD
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 AM

I whole heartedly believe they cost way too much, that is another factor I want to see with the 2020 GM trucks... I want to see what pricing they are at. Ford and Ram at the moment are completely insane price wise. If GM would raise their pricing from the mid seventies to high seventies for their top of the line trimmed trucks, I really do think GM could cut into the HD truck shares. I suppose "discounts" are always a factor, but I totally agree, a $75,000 truck should not have some of these problems.

Relatively speaking the biggest issue I've had with any of my diesel trucks has been a 2008 Ram that had a turbo/fuel system blow up at 16000 miles and they tried to pin it on me. They ended up fixing it and voiding my warranty. The day i got it back i traded it in for a GMC diesel... and its been 12 years since I last drove a cummins.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:01 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

The 2019 Sierra 3500hd I drive work does this same thing it has 2800 miles on it. The first time I felt it was 980 miles. I was told that I was imagining things, that I wasnt used to a brand new truck. Thank you for reassuring me that I'm not crazy, I really do wonder about it sometimes.
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 05:55 AM

What was the problem? I have the same issue while hauling on a long trip this weekend. Truck runs fine then a chug did it a few times. Need to know what the fix is before calling the local dealer since they seem to be less than on top of things. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode