L5P delete - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I would also like to delete ... if only I still lived in Montana (no emissions testing).

But now that I live in Utah ... where vehicle emission testing is required for license plates / updated stickers ... and a delete would surely fail required emissions testing.

So my only word of caution, carefully take out your factory exhaust so it can be put back in if necessary.

Also keep the "before delete - emissions-friendly" tuned ECM.

Never know where you or the truck may end up ... and this limits your options for resale.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4” Suspension Lift w/ 35’s, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Sport Bar 2.0 (Roll Bar) w/ 8” Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Vision Valor Wheels, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:03 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Hey everyone I got a new duramax and was wondering how a def delete was actual performed? Is it all done through a tune or are some components removed from the truck?
Also, I've found kits that allow for an aftermarket downpipe with an egr delete that im looking at for the future and a four inch inake pipe upgrade from wc fab. And of course I would add the dpf delete with a new exhaust system. Is there any tuners that don't cost over 5k to complete any or all these deletes?
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrbuchholz View Post
Hey everyone I got a new duramax and was wondering how a def delete was actual performed? Is it all done through a tune or are some components removed from the truck?
Also, I've found kits that allow for an aftermarket downpipe with an egr delete that im looking at for the future and a four inch inake pipe upgrade from wc fab. And of course I would add the dpf delete with a new exhaust system. Is there any tuners that don't cost over 5k to complete any or all these deletes?
No, swapping the ECU and TCM is the only way to delete the L5P. That is what jumps the price up so high.

2019 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Midnight Edition
Previous:
2012 LTZ LML Crew Cab
2006 LT LBZ Crew Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:49 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2THE9S View Post
No, swapping the ECU and TCM is the only way to delete the L5P. That is what jumps the price up so high.
What about just a down pipe back exhaust for a dpf delete only, Is a ECU swap required for that?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:29 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Yes

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman
remember if you ever delete your truck wont be worth much and zero in a trade in as no dealer will take it!

To many vehicles to little time! New LP5 owner first 2017 GMC Denali Duramax
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 05:45 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
remember if you ever delete your truck wont be worth much and zero in a trade in as no dealer will take it!
Agreed. I don’t really want to touch it unless I get issues with the dpf and def systems that others are seeming to have. Cross my fingers.
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:05 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Agreed. I don’t really want to touch it unless I get issues with the dpf and def systems that others are seeming to have. Cross my fingers.
Actually, I really haven't seen anyone with emissions problems on an L5P yet - at least not anything that seems to be a plague anyway. I'd say the most complaints I've seen is guys that think their truck does regens too often. Not sure if that's a legit problem or if it's due to driving style and conditions for those complaining.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 407,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 06:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman
I think I ll do when my truck is out of warranty and I have the extended thank goodness! since regular ran out they replaced radio and a leaf spring! cost more than the warranty! Id replace DPF with the stainless extra large one

To many vehicles to little time! New LP5 owner first 2017 GMC Denali Duramax
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
What about just a down pipe back exhaust for a dpf delete only, Is a ECU swap required for that?
AFE makes a DPF delete pipe that only replaces the section of exhaust from the down pipe to the back of the DPF. You can leave the rest of the stock exhaust untouched. Both connections are a bolt together flange.

You would still need to swap the ECU. As long as you keep the stock ECU and DPF, returning it to stock would be relatively simple if you ever needed to.

2019 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Midnight Edition
Previous:
2012 LTZ LML Crew Cab
2006 LT LBZ Crew Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode