Banks Intake and Exhaust on the Way - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:55 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Looks great!!!!! Love the Black Denali's. I am gonna go w/ the 5" pretty soon. Maybe this summer
Black HD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 01:37 AM

I was sooo wanting to put exhaust on my 2019... but the more I see the 2020's I'm just at the point I don't want to throw anything else at the current truck when I know I'll probably pull the trigger on a 2020.

Love that exhaust look!
Black HD and Mystaken818 like this.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:58 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Looks great, hopefully you have better luck than most of the owners on the facebook groups. These Banks exhausts have been rusting bad in just a few months.

Did your tip already have a small hole drilled in it to let water escape? The Banks rep on the derringer group was recommending owners to drill one if it did't already have one.

These are just from a quick search three different owners 3-4 months after install.....And I'm a Banks fan but this steered me away. There's plenty more pics on line but you get the idea.
Attached Images

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

My build thread https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/b...lly-build.html

GM DRW club member #224
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:41 PM

Banks Intake and Exhaust on the Way

I installed my intake yesterday. Iíve had the derringer and exhaust for awhile and I notice a difference with the intake. You can definitely hear it and itís more responsive. The turbo lag is much better. All and all I like it! Hope the exhaust holds up better than the ones in the pics, but whatís a little surface rust. I have a stainless Flow master on my 2015 ram and it looks like shit after 3-4 years of NewEngland winters. At least I think itís stainless.

Edit: I think just the end is stainless, but it still looks like shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1lunger; 05-09-2019 at 04:00 PM.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Looks great, hopefully you have better luck than most of the owners on the facebook groups. These Banks exhausts have been rusting bad in just a few months.

Did your tip already have a small hole drilled in it to let water escape? The Banks rep on the derringer group was recommending owners to drill one if it did't already have one.

These are just from a quick search three different owners 3-4 months after install.....And I'm a Banks fan but this steered me away. There's plenty more pics on line but you get the idea.
I noticed that it didn't have a drain hole. Now that I see the pics, maybe I'll drill one this weekend. We don't get much rust down here unless you live by the ocean. I considered painting it with high-temp paint black but wanted to get it installed.
hdrolling likes this.

2005 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
2008 Yamaha Zuma YW 50

2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Black on Black
2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M Toy Hauler
2019 Ranger RB190 Bay
2019 Yamaha UMAX 1
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:18 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black HD View Post
I noticed that it didn't have a drain hole. Now that I see the pics, maybe I'll drill one this weekend. We don't get much rust down here unless you live by the ocean. I considered painting it with high-temp paint black but wanted to get it installed.
That's what I would have done if I had went with the Banks (I had planned to)

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

My build thread https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/b...lly-build.html

GM DRW club member #224
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:29 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Yeah, thatís a good idea
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:05 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
That's unfortunate, looks like they used T409 to cut costs down. Maybe it'd be better to do the cool cuff mod to the stock pipe and put a 45 degree bend with new tip on the end.

2017 GMC 2500 Denali HD
Bump steering explained
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:29 AM

I think Banks is a great company with a lot of good products to offer, but I’ll never buy another exhaust system from them.

These are pictures of the full “Power Pack” 409ss exhaust I’d purchased roughly 3yrs ago for my 1997 F350 7.5 gasser (that I got rid of for my GMC). The truck was very clean overall and I sold it with right about 41k miles. This exhaust system had roughly 2yrs and no more than 10-15k miles on it at most. The truck was kept outside, washed regularly, and did make a few trips from Ohio to Michigan and back for snowmobile trips. I was disappointed right away when I received the kit to see that all the clamps were plain carbon steel; I spent extra money to replace them with 304ss clamps from Summit to mitigate some of the rusting that started. I contacted Banks directly multiple times, but never got anywhere...it was like my request for help & feedback fell off someone’s desk and into the trash.

I still have rust spots on my driveway from the exhaust system on that truck.

Again; not bashing Banks- I think they are a great resource and put a lot of quality into their products...more than most in my opinion. However; if any of their more current exhaust systems mirror the quality of the one I purchased, I’d be very disappointed.
Attached Images

Last edited by Icutmetl; 05-10-2019 at 05:38 AM.
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:41 PM

I wish I thought to paint mine before install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode