Banks Intake and Exhaust on the Way - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Banks Intake and Exhaust on the Way

Broke down and purchased the Banks intake and DPF back exhaust today ... product links below.

Should arrive this week while I am out of town for work ... hopefully install next weekend.

https://shop.bankspower.com/i-2804-4...%7Cyear%3D2019

https://shop.bankspower.com/i-2693-4...%7Cyear%3D2019

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4” Suspension Lift w/ Heavy Duty Tie Rods, 35” Tires on 18x8.5 Vision Valor Wheels, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Roll Bar (Sport Bar 2.0) w/ 8” Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer, Kryptonite Heavy Duty Pitman and Idler Arm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:31 PM

I got the AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 intake and the Banks DPF back exhaust.

Intake gave a lil bit of sound on WOT and some turbo bark.

Exhaust did absolutely nothing for sound BUT I LOVE THE LOOK over the shitty stock look
Noble_dmax and UTEngineer like this.

2019 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD White Frost TriCoat
AFE Magnum Force CAI
WCFab 3.5" Turbo Intake W/PCV Reroute
Banks 4" Exhaust
BDS 6.5" Coilover W/Cognito Deaver Springs+Sulastic Shackles
37X13.5 Cooper Discoverer STT Pro+MotoMetal M0202 20X12X-44
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:28 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Subd for pics. I was just looking at these on the banks website
UTEngineer likes this.

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 03:14 AM

Looking forward to see how you like it. I’m torn between the S&B and Banks intake. Since I’m stuck in California and can’t do anything about the DEF/DPF I’m stuck with boring exhaust...
UTEngineer likes this.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

This will be "boring" exhaust as well. All it does is change the appearance since it's DPF back. Banks claims on their website that exhaust temperatures are reduced at the tip during regen due to the air flow design. Thus, keeping the fronts of trailers from melting during regens.
UTEngineer likes this.

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 AM

I'm a heavy towing toyhauler 5th wheel guy. 28,000 combined just a tad over 7k on rear axle. Stock tires and wheels on a srw 3500 are only so adequate, like 3600 each if memory serves me. The new method wheels I installed rated at 4500 each and 285/75r18 toyo mt tire rated at 4050lbs each. I'd be more concerned with tire and wheel ratings.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
UTEngineer likes this.
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:19 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Glad to see you ordered the Banks 4" over their new 5", their rep said on the facebook group that the 5" is mostly just for looks and doesn't cool like the 4".

My Magna flow will be here on Mon, I'm ready to get that exhaust air away from the front of my fifthwheel.
UTEngineer likes this.

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

My build thread https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/b...lly-build.html

GM DRW club member #224
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Glad to see you ordered the Banks 4" over their new 5", their rep said on the facebook group that the 5" is mostly just for looks and doesn't cool like the 4".

My Magna flow will be here on Mon, I'm ready to get that exhaust air away from the front of my fifthwheel.
You are correct ... I purposely chose the Banks DPF back 4 inch exhaust because of the “cool cuff” design that pulls in outside air which mixes with the hot exhaust gasses and starts cooling the hot exhaust gas stream further back than the factory exhaust design (which does this outside air mixing at the tailpipe).

Received the exhaust system last week while I was out of town working ... but not the intake ... exhaust parts are impressive ... nicely fabricated.

When I called Banks about the missing intake (ordered direct) ... I experienced a very disjointed phone call where I was transferred several times and finally ended up speaking with someone who gave me the feeling they missed shipping the intake.

No explanation why it did not ship, no admission of the intake getting missed, no cordial apology ... just a statement “it should ship today” ... my call was made Friday at 3:30 pm PST when I arrived back in town ... I doubt it got shipped on a Friday at 3:30 pm ... so probably arrive sometime later this coming week.

Actual not upset about the missing intake as this seems very common anymore ... in my opinion order processing and after-sales customer service seems to degrade more and more each year.

Most disappointing part was they charged my credit card for both items without shipping the intake.

I am a sales manager for an industrial instrumentation company ... and per our company policy ... we only charge for items when they ship ... unless it is a special order (partial deposit) ... or the customer’s credit history is so bad they are on a cash-upfront status ... seems like the right thing to do is not charging a customer until the item is verified shipped by scanning the shipping barcode.

Unfortunately the wife assigned me other duties this weekend ... so installation of the exhaust and intake will be next weekend or the following week when I am not traveling for work.

Will update this posting how the installation goes ... be interesting to verify if it only takes 1 hour for the exhaust removal / install ... and 30 minutes for the intake ... per Banks estimates.

My past experience has been to double their estimated install time ... which is based upon a shop who does these installs on a daily basis ... not the average customer who does this in his garage.

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4” Suspension Lift w/ Heavy Duty Tie Rods, 35” Tires on 18x8.5 Vision Valor Wheels, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Roll Bar (Sport Bar 2.0) w/ 8” Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer, Kryptonite Heavy Duty Pitman and Idler Arm

Last edited by UTEngineer; 02-17-2019 at 09:22 AM.
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Found time to install the Banks DPF back exhaust today ... simple install ... followed the youtube video / directions ... took an hour and a half.

The only thing I did different was cut the factory exhaust (section that was being removed) in two places so I could remove it without having to lift the backend of the truck.

No more factory “trumpet” looking exhaust tip sticking out of the back.
Attached Images

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Looks good. How does she sound? Keep us updated when you get some miles on it and go thru regen.
UTEngineer likes this.

2005 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
2008 Yamaha Zuma YW 50

2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Black on Black
2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M Toy Hauler
2019 Ranger RB190 Bay
2019 Yamaha UMAX 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in