2019 L5P FASS lift pump installation (125gph) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

2019 L5P FASS lift pump installation (125gph)

I ordered a FASS 125gph lift pump last week and received it today. Prior to purchase I searched everywhere for an installation video. (Nothing) Have any of you installed a lift pump on your L5P? I know someone is going to say the L5P has an internal pump... and that it doesnít need a lift pump. However after the CP4 failed in my LML at 85k Iíve decided to add the extra filtration at the same time I add the Banks Derringer and S&B intake. I plan on making a video on it since there is nothing to be found online, but man its a complicated install compared to previous truck models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:45 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Havenít installed one. Just out of curiosity, do you remove the factory lift pump and use this one instead, or is it added to the system on top of the other one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC 3500 DRW/CCLB

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:02 AM

From what I understand, unless you are pushing the L5p to the point of maxing out the transmission capabilities (which would be the wall you will hit first in your quest for L5p horsepower) there is no need for any outside lift pump. The new pump inside the tank on the l5p is plenty and thus far has not proven uncapable of handling a substantial amount of power. By the way- you're not even deleting your truck so why do you think you need one? Your factory fuel system in your l5p is MORE than enough for the basically stock power you will be producing even with the derringer, sorry.

Oh, the reason you can't find a video on a install is because people prefer not to throw money away. Unless you are doing a compound turbo on a L5p (which would be sweet) you don't need one.
Dean E, GodFather2u and jdwarren like this.

2018 GMC 2500 CCSB - Denali - White - L5p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 03:14 PM

I think Gale Banks on one of his videos talking about the L5p says with tuning, the turbo is the limiting factor.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:41 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Different fuel systems between the LML and the L5P, as already mentioned you don’t need a liftpump, extra filtration would be a good idea and cost less to add a filter or 2 inline.

You might consider adding a good diesel fuel additive when fueling up.
Most of us add additives every tank.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 08-01-2019 at 11:43 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 07:45 AM

The FASS system does a lot more than pushing more fuel. If you don't understand what the system does, well.........
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

If your referring to me ?
My comparison was the newer Dmax s already have a in tank fuel pump.
Iím pretty sure I do know the advantages of what aftermarket fuel systems do.
FASS and AD use to be one company FASS owned by son and dad, separated then Dad started AD, both operate and do the same.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 10:14 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipogsd View Post
The FASS system does a lot more than pushing more fuel. If you don't understand what the system does, well.........
Oh, yeah. All that extra filtration.

But wait, where's the evidence that the L5P stock fuel filter is in any way inadequate?

Seems to me that some folks just want an excuse to bolt another useless trinket onto a perfectly well-functioning truck.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Beard Hord View Post
I ordered a FASS 125gph lift pump last week and received it today. Prior to purchase I searched everywhere for an installation video. (Nothing) Have any of you installed a lift pump on your L5P? I know someone is going to say the L5P has an internal pump... and that it doesnít need a lift pump. However after the CP4 failed in my LML at 85k Iíve decided to add the extra filtration at the same time I add the Banks Derringer and S&B intake. I plan on making a video on it since there is nothing to be found online, but man its a complicated install compared to previous truck models.
The biggest problem you run into is fooling the ECM. The ECM monitors the pump motor running so you can't simply remove it or plug something in to fool it. The new ECM is much more integrated into the whole diesel system. I have heard of people working on bypassing the ECM circuits so you can program the ECM. Not a cheap or EPA compliant option. I would call the FASS hotline and talk to the techs there on what is needed to make this work. Even though I have a FASS lift pump on my LMM I have to agree with others here. The lift pump does not do much for the L5P. I know the Dodge and Ford systems use an in tank fuel pump but in those cases the pump is removed and replaced by the lift pump and the lift pump in those applications replaces the pressure that would normally be generated by the in tank pump. Dean
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 12:14 PM

This is from the FASS site. You have to have an aftermarket tuning to make this work. Dean

Description
TS-C13-140G
FASS Titanium Signature Series Diesel Fuel Lift Pump 140GPH 17′-19′ Duramax L5P (TS C13 140G)

WARNING! This system is designed for the 2017-2019 L5P Duramax WITH AFTERMARKET TUNING!! If the truck is not equipped with an aftermarket tune and the ability to delete specific codes, the vehicle will have a MIL after the FASS installation. Consult with your calibration supplier prior to the FASS installation to confirm they are able to delete specific diagnostic codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode