Upper coolant pipe install L5P - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the '17 and up L5P Duramax Trucks No Advertising

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Noble_dmax
  • 1 Post By duramaxdan2500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Upper coolant pipe install L5P

I currently have the WCFab intake pipe installed in my L5P and am planning to install the intercooler pipe and upper coolant pipe soon to complete the look. Question is: Do I need to drain the coolant before removing the coolant pipe? This is probably a stupid question but I'm not sure how much coolant is sitting inside that pipe when the truck is off. I don't want to spill coolant all over the garage floor when I do the install.

Thanks

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:57 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

How do you like the intake pipe? Aside from looks, did it help with throttle response? It's just a little laggy off the line, especially at slow speeds, like rolling through a stop sign and then trying to punch it.

Sorry for the derail. No real help on the question
Nodaker likes this.

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.

Last edited by Noble_dmax; 08-11-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Yes, youíll make a mess if you donít drain some, the upper coolant hose is full of coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC 3500 DRW/CCLB

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble_dmax View Post
How do you like the intake pipe? Aside from looks, did it help with throttle response? It's just a little laggy off the line, especially at slow speeds, like rolling through a stop sign and then trying to punch it.
I like it. I debated for a long time before deciding on an intake kit, but ultimately decided to go with this so that I can do the complete WCFab pipe set. It would be hard to claim any improvement in throttle response without a tune, but I did notice a difference in sound. The truck sounds more like a diesel at idle and I can hear a little bit more turbo whistle under acceleration. Mostly... it is for looks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.M. View Post
Yes, youíll make a mess if you donít drain some, the upper coolant hose is full of coolant.
Thanks.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 06:26 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Thanks for the honest reply!

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

I have the coolant pipe on order as well as the intercooler pipe. I did not order the turbo intake horn yet because I have not decided if I want to do the PCV reroute or not.

Since I installed the intake pipe I have noticed an increase in MPG. This might just be a coincidence as I also just crossed over 3k miles. Perhaps the truck is just breaking in. Whatever the reason, I am very happy with how the truck is driving right now. I went on a drive today on back roads (45-55 MPH) and got around 22 MPG. I can get similar MPG on the highway at 70 MPH with cruise control on. Around town is still about 15 MPG.
Attached Images

Noble_dmax likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode