Warranty advice needed(coolant issue) - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frogman32

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Warranty advice needed(coolant issue)

2017 2500LTZ 37,300 miles

You all might have read the threads concerning the " low coolant message". Well, I had into the dealer twice while still under warranty. Looking back into my receipts, It looks like they have gone through the steps necessary to try and trouble shoot the problem short of taking out an injector. Coolant has gone down to where the message has appeared again in the DIC. No coolant on the ground and it is a very slow issue. They looked into this issue about 10,000 miles ago and I know for a fact that these engines simply just don't burn/use this much.

I have never had a problem persist like this and not be fixed. When I talked to the service advisor he stated something about a diagnostic fee because it just depends what the issue is. Well, as you can imagine this has put me on the defensive.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 LTZ 4x4
Black
All stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 10:51 PM

Your engine is supposed to use NO coolant. Coolant is like refrigerant for your ac system, if it is not leaking then it is not “used.”
If you had the truck in there for that repair 10k miles ago and it is the same issue, then they did not fix it and they are responsible for the correct repair. I would escalate this to the service manager, then the dealership General Manager, and then to GM customer service, in that order. Make sure you have the service records in hand when you are doing this. Make sure you are “nice” during this whole exchange to start with. You will get farther that way, but be ready to use the fact that you are a forum member, you have a friend that works for a major automotive publication, Ect, if and when you need it. Lol.

Good luck and keep us in the loop.
Ron Nielson likes this.

2015 GMC 2500 HD Denali, Cooper ST MAXX 35-12.5-20, 5" Rough Country lift, & EGR pocket flares.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:21 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I have never had a problem persist like this and not be fixed. When I talked to the service advisor he stated something about a diagnostic fee because it just depends what the issue is. Well, as you can imagine this has put me on the defensive.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

I had a 2015 silvy gasser with a radiator leak ,,, was all over these forums …
every time from 4000miles I went for service I told them ….they politely blew me off ….
when truck had 35000 miles on it I was in for regular service .. service mgr came out and asked for my license .. said they were giving me a loaner …
bottom line was they said now it was leaking bad enough that they could acknowledge the need to replace it ….
stay persistent…!!

2019 Silverado 2500 HD DMAX (L5P) Crew cab single wheel 4X4 LTZ Z71 Black on Black leather..
Diode Dynamic LED fogs ..
Heartland LED hi's and lo's
Boost Auto all 6 on hi Mod
Truxedo tonneau
Rubber bed mat
Eaz-Lift 16,000lb 5'er hitch
2018 30' Keystone Cougar 5'er
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Warranty question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxdan59 View Post

Thank you
I had a 2015 silvy gasser with a radiator leak ,,, was all over these forums …
every time from 4000miles I went for service I told them ….they politely blew me off ….
when truck had 35000 miles on it I was in for regular service .. service mgr came out and asked for my license .. said they were giving me a loaner …
bottom line was they said now it was leaking bad enough that they could acknowledge the need to replace it ….
stay persistent…!![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Turns out the seem on the radiator was leaking very slowly and of course, only under pressure. Thus, no coolant on the ground. At first, GM was only willing to pay half of the bill, but the Service Manager went to bat for me based on the fact that it hd been in the shop 2X while under warranty.Mileage is at 37,200 miles and the radiator is of course not covered under the powertrain warranty. I was called about 10 minutes later and told GM will cover 100% of the cost.

This was the right thing to do by both GM and the dealership. Hopefully, this is the end of my issues with the coolant system.

2017 Chevy Silverado HD 2500 LTZ 4x4
Black
All stock
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 11:38 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
That's good to hear!
To tell you how much a dealership can cover, back in 2008 my old 2000 Z71 had a few problems. Also I was a mechanic at a chevy dealership. I asked my service manager about it and he got a few other things covered on my truck with right at 100k miles. What GM wouldn't cover were my rocker panels and cab corners rusting out from their poor design 3rd brake light letting water in.

2005 Chevy 2500HD LT CCSB
Superchip
Volant CAI
S&B turbo inlet
Stock exhaust
305/55/20 Falken A/T3
Granite All Terrian rims
Bilstein 5100's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode