Is Walmart DEF good enough? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 07:59 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Walmart's brand is what I've been using and have had no issues. As long as the DEF has a current date code it's all the same stuff. 32.5% urea to water.

2019 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax L5P
2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 09:42 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman32 View Post
Yeah, but those truck stop fillers run so fast that my truck would blow def out all over the engine and me while I tried to fill up. The last time I had to run it so slow that it took 15 minutes to fill the tank and I still had it come out a few times. I’ll stick to the bottle. I am curious as to who makes the Walmart brand of def and if it is worth a darn. I use the Blue, but I wouldn’t mind saving a few bucks.
Flying J near me works great.

Just have to be sure that the nozzle is down into the smaller diameter part of the fill tube on the truck.
(I think when DEF first came out there were some pumps that had a nozzle to large to fit in the tube. There may still be -- if I found one of those I'd also either use jugs or find for another place with the updated nozzles)

Never spill a drop.

As long as it meets the ISO spec any jug brand should be fine.
I've never heard from anyone they have found DEF that doesn't meet the spec.

DEF has no additives. Just purified urea (32.5% N) and de-ionized water..

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY

Last edited by redwngr; 12-01-2019 at 09:48 PM.
post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:48 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afflicted View Post
Do you have a bulk filling station close to you? I just paid $14 to fill mine with 5 gallons. Plus itís fresh versus sitting on the shelf for who knows how long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
that sounds like a great idea.....but do they have a nozzle and slow enough pump to not make a complete mess as you fill ??

2019 Silverado 2500 HD DMAX (L5P) Crew cab single wheel 4X4 LTZ Z71 Black on Black leather..
Hellwig heavy duty rear sway bar
Diode Dynamic LED fogs ..
Heartland LED hi's and lo's
Boost Auto all 6 on hi Mod
Truxedo tonneau
Rubber bed mat
Eaz-Lift 16,000lb 5'er hitch
2018 30' Keystone Cougar 5'er
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaxdan59 View Post
that sounds like a great idea.....but do they have a nozzle and slow enough pump to not make a complete mess as you fill ??

Yes, they have a pump handle and nozzle that fits perfectly in the fill up tube. I havenít had any problems with def fluid spilling out due to the pump not shutting off automatically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:18 PM

I have exclusively used the Walmart DEF without problems. If I had a truck stop near me that carried it, I would definitely give the bulk DEF a try.
Bill81vette and Old Man Bro like this.

2018 Duramax GMC 2500
2006 VW Jetta TDI (285,000 miles)
2000 VW New Beetle TDI Retired after deer hit (160,000 miles)
post #16 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:23 PM

Rural King if you have one nearby.
2.5 gallon for $6.99

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dales Super Store likes this.
post #17 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:26 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Bro View Post
My DEF tank needs its first refill. So I went to Walmart to get the Peak brand Blue stuff I see advertised for about $12.75 for 2.5 gallons. I noticed on the self next to it the Walmart brand for $7.88 per 2.5 gallons. Same specifications on both and big difference in price.

Do any of you guys have a good reason to use the Peak DEF and NOT USE the Walmart DEF?
Been using Walmart DEF since I got the truck and haven't had any emissions issues. Truck just turned 50k last night and about 10k of them are towing miles (at ~19k GCW).

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank | Reese under-bed FW/GN rail kit
post #18 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:05 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

To answer your question and not give a bunch of b.s. that most others spouted, my 17í with 25 k, has only used the Walmart Def.
Old Man Bro likes this.
post #19 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 06:36 PM

My first fill was Walmart def and have since filled with another brand. No problems... same solution, generic seems fine by me....
post #20 of 64 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 07:27 PM

Garage
just buy a brand name that likely from a place that has enough turnover its fresh and your fine, if you get bulk in a truck stop don't buy from a extreme low volume one ( same with diesel fuel) Def is Def , I have used mostly wal-mart for 18,000 in my new 19 except when I can I use bulk at about 1/2 the price

2019 Chevy Dually Door handles/color matched 110 Gal transfer-flow bed tank / 20"AE wheels Mich. 265/60/20 defender tires /husky rear flaps /cargo box/weathertech mats.tinted glass, xpel on forward surfaces, blacked out pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode