Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Is Walmart DEF good enough?

30K views 63 replies 40 participants last post by  Old Man Bro 
#1 ·
My DEF tank needs its first refill. So I went to Walmart to get the Peak brand Blue stuff I see advertised for about $12.75 for 2.5 gallons. I noticed on the self next to it the Walmart brand for $7.88 per 2.5 gallons. Same specifications on both and big difference in price.

Do any of you guys have a good reason to use the Peak DEF and NOT USE the Walmart DEF?

Reactions: Dales Super Store
#46 ·
Def

WalMart is a large company and always demands lower prices from the companies they deal with due to their large volume sales. But it is also known that due to these demands companies who don't want to lose the volume of business they get from this company many will cut costs through reformulation and/or dilute their products so they don't lose money selling to such a large mover of goods. Walmart only cares about its bottom line and looks the other way to make more money.:surprise::|

#4 ·
No, I do not know of a bulk filling station near me. I live in a very rural area. From the price you quoted, I will look for one.

Thanks for the response.

#9 ·
Yeah, but those truck stop fillers run so fast that my truck would blow def out all over the engine and me while I tried to fill up. The last time I had to run it so slow that it took 15 minutes to fill the tank and I still had it come out a few times. I’ll stick to the bottle. I am curious as to who makes the Walmart brand of def and if it is worth a darn. I use the Blue, but I wouldn’t mind saving a few bucks.

Reactions: Dales Super Store
#12 · (Edited)
Flying J near me works great.

Just have to be sure that the nozzle is down into the smaller diameter part of the fill tube on the truck.
(I think when DEF first came out there were some pumps that had a nozzle to large to fit in the tube. There may still be -- if I found one of those I'd also either use jugs or find for another place with the updated nozzles)

Never spill a drop.

As long as it meets the ISO spec any jug brand should be fine.
I've never heard from anyone they have found DEF that doesn't meet the spec.

DEF has no additives. Just purified urea (32.5% N) and de-ionized water..

#29 ·
Buc ee's sells DEF inside also. its 6.81 with TAX (yesterday) it is the SAME bottle as the Walmart comes in except its white Same exact funnel as well.... and it is less than WalMart ... if you have a Buc ee's close that doesn't have it at the pump.
They turn it over pretty fast as well. so it has to be fresh I would think.

#22 ·
Date Code

What does the date code on Walmart Supertech DEF represent manufacture date or drop dead date?

#17 ·
Been using Walmart DEF since I got the truck and haven't had any emissions issues. Truck just turned 50k last night and about 10k of them are towing miles (at ~19k GCW).

#20 ·
just buy a brand name that likely from a place that has enough turnover its fresh and your fine, if you get bulk in a truck stop don't buy from a extreme low volume one ( same with diesel fuel) Def is Def , I have used mostly wal-mart for 18,000 in my new 19 except when I can I use bulk at about 1/2 the price

#23 ·
MFG date.

There are charts out there on the web that will tell you the life expectancy at given temperatures, the hotter its stored at, the shorter the life. I opted to user the Supertech from Walmart because I know they go trough it pretty regularly so it is likely to always be fresh.
I do keep 2.5 Gal at the house and I should probably use that bottle within the next 6 mo.
I will not buy it from HD or Auto parts stores as I do not know how long its been on the shelf, and absolutely will not buy it off of Amazon as you know that has likely been on a shelf for months to years...
I don't have an at the pump station close by so Wallyworld is the best option for me.

#24 ·
same as others,,wally world def. no problems and dates on the jugs are curent.plus its cheap

#30 ·
I mainly used Walmart brand in my 2011 Duramax which had 115K on it when traded for my current 2018, which has only had Walmart brand.
Almost all my usage is towing a 20K Fifthwheel so it burns thru it's share of DEF and no issues.

Reactions: Old Man Bro
#31 ·
I've been using it for years. No issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.