2018 L5p Lower oil pan leak question? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

2018 L5p Lower oil pan leak question?

Mine was leaking and the dealership fixed it today. They told me they had to lower the front driveshaft/differential to do so? When i got home and inspected work it looks like i might be missing a nut or either they put the bolt back in backwards. See picture for area circled in red. If you zoom in you can see where either a nut has scared the metal or either they installed the bolt backwards? Can anyone check theirs and post a pic or let me know? Thanks!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Picture taken from passenger side looking toward front of truck with lower oil pan on right hand side
Attached Images

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Thats normal... threaded from top down...

Thought the same thing briefly while doing my lift kit...

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 03:48 PM

I'm chasing an oil leak on mine and discovered the same thing! I'm greatly relieved to know the differential isn't loose on it's moorings! Thanks for clarifying!
Now to the oil leak- Steering column is wet, I've noticed occasional smoke emitting from under the hood and while now changing the oil, the underside is quite wet. Gonna search this forum for similar reports. The truck's a 2017 with now only 33K on the odometer. I also had ALL injectors changed at 7K miles due to a reported bad batch of injectors from the supplier. Wonder what's involved in the injector swap that may have precipitated the oil leak?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 07:24 AM

Hi, My lower oil pan was just replaced at 11,000 miles do to leaking.When I first noticed the leak around the bottom of the bell housing I found all the bolts on the oil pan were loose. I tightened them thinking this would help seal the gasket. 2 weeks later it was still leaking to I took it in to the dealer and was told there is no gasket used on the oil pan only rtv silicone and once it starts leaking GM requires the pan to be replaced. I have about 500 miles on it since the repair so we'll see what happens.

2018 GMC Denali 3500 L5P White Frost Metalic
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 11:12 AM

Gonna have to take a look! No drips on the garage floor but who knows!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode