8000 miles and injector problems - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 08:56 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

All this crap goes back a looooong way. My first car as a teenager was a '67 Camaro that was hand-me-down from my older brother who got it from my dad. That car had bad motor mounts from the factory. The rubber part of the mounts would break away from the steel part and torque of the motor twisting would pull on the throttle linkage and "floor" the accelerator. GM's fix? They sent the dealers some cables to pass thru the upper and lower motor mounts to tie the two pieces together so the motor couldn't twist when the mounts broke! Unreal.

It still doesn't change the fact that these days, with as complicated as vehicles are, it's got to be pretty damn hard to find some of these problems before production begins. And I'm sure that with as big as these car companies are, with as many layers of bureaucracy as they have, once they find a problem and actually diagnose it and then come up with a solution, the sheer magnitude of the hurdles that have to be jumped to implement a fix must be mind boggling. I imagine that most of the hurdles are in the accounting dept, which ironically, in many cases, is probably the original source of the problem in the first place - trying to save nickles on each and every vehicle by "value engineering" cheaper solutions to everything. If you let the engineers make all the decisions and leave the bean counters out of it, they'd probably never break.... but it would either bankrupt the company or result in $200,000 trucks. Probably both.

I have a friend who used to work as a factory service rep for Mercury Marine. He told me about the introduction of the Optimax line of motors which happened while he was working for them. When they first came out, they got the name Opti-pop because they were blowing up left and right. Turned out the problem was the fuel injection system and the changes that the bean counters made them implement before production. All the testing was done with one injection system and before production began that system was "value-engineered" to save money on the production motors. The problems were eventually fixed and the motors became one of the most reliable and fuel efficient out there but the first couple of years were hell. I have a pair of 250 HP Optimax motors on one of my boats and they've been great and actually get better fuel economy than the equivalent 4 stroke motors.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 408,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump.

Last edited by long-time-dmax; 12-20-2019 at 09:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Still waiting on parts and losing money. Christmas vacation started early for my business because of this problem with my rig. Iím a mobile business and money is tight during the holidays, so far Iíve lost 2 1/2 days to this and thatís several thousand dollars in lost income.
post #33 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 10:55 AM

My mistake. It wasn’t my injectors but my new style glow plugs. They have been having issues with the new 3 second glow plugs. They are thinking that if you don’t wait for the light to go off it takes out a glow plug? I never done that and 2 go bad. We ei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
Still waiting on parts and losing money. Christmas vacation started early for my business because of this problem with my rig. I’m a mobile business and money is tight during the holidays, so far I’ve lost 2 1/2 days to this and that’s several thousand dollars in lost income.
Sorry to see this post ... especially being from Montucky myself ... only moved to SLC a few years ago for work reasons.

Unfortunately one of the problems with living in low population areas like Montana is the limited parts availability.

As you know well ... there is usually only one dealership in the area ... and parts inventory is very limited ... so everything has to be ordered out of the main regional warehouse ... which is usually Denver for the Rocky Mountain states.

I know this does not excuse a major issue like this with so few miles on the truck ... but it does extend the time to get it repaired.

Again sorry to hear this ... the company I work for pays me to use my truck to cover mines in several states ... and does not want to hear excuses about my new truck being in the shop.

That also brings up a good point ... many dealers offer loaner vehicles including used trucks. Have you asked if they will give you a loaner ?

If they say no ... call GM Customer Service and tell them they told you no on the loaner ... many time they can call the dealership and a loaner magically appears.

Just an idea ...

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4Ē Suspension Lift w/ Heavy Duty Tie Rods, 35Ē Tires on 18x8.5 Vision Valor Wheels, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Roll Bar (Sport Bar 2.0) w/ 8Ē Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer, Kryptonite Heavy Duty Pitman and Idler Arm
post #35 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:49 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEngineer View Post

That also brings up a good point ... many dealers offer loaner vehicles including used trucks. Have you asked if they will give you a loaner ?

If they say no ... call GM Customer Service and tell them they told you no on the loaner ... many time they can call the dealership and a loaner magically appears.

Just an idea ...

They should be able to give a loaner.
When I had issue with my dmax I often request for a loaner and they did because I haul breads for business.

I was wondering why canít get a rental and then demand dealer reimbursement for rental expense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #36 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 02:21 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn69 View Post
Sorry to say but if you're here to piss & moan about buyers regret on a Dmax Forum you probably won't get much sympathy. It sucks but it's a piece of equipment, they break. If your ecopoof was so awesome I guess you should have bought another one of those
I agree completely.

To the OP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Would you like a little Cheese with your Whine sir?

It is a mechanical thing, they break. It is under warranty, take it in, get it fixed and move on.
AlisoBob and 1TRIKHD like this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #37 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 08:37 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
.... so far Iíve lost 2 1/2 days to this and thatís several thousand dollars in lost income.
Sounds like you should have fallen off your wallet, and taken the truck to a indie Duramax shop and you would be back on the road in 24 hours.

I dont know anyone with a vehicle that is the lifeblood of their operation who would take it to a dealership, and have it sit.... warranty repair or not.
407driver and jagster936 like this.
post #38 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

@UTEengineer, The truck is a specialized piece of equipment for my business. It has an 11 foot service bed on it. As well as a four thirty gallon tanks in the bed of the truck bolted to the floor. I have the ability to remove the equipment but itís a day to get all the equipment switched out to my other work rig and being so close to Christmas and a planned holiday I decided to hold off on switching over. I lost 3 days of work last week and thatís not recoverable.

@alsiobob, I would never take a rig with 8000 miles to a small repair shop to expedite the repairs and void the warranty no thanks.

I see you guys all saying I should do this or that but the reality is I shouldnít be down at 8000 miles on a new 50000 plus work truck. Itís just not acceptable. Also easy to armchair quarterback that shit when you donít earn your money with your truck. This isnít a grocery getter.
post #39 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 11:23 AM

Lol statistical problems are a reality of life. Sorry first world problems. Get over it or stop living. Or go live
Off the grid in the jungle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #40 of 71 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Sounds like you should have fallen off your wallet, and

taken the truck to a indie Duramax shop and you would be back on the road in 24 hours.

I dont know anyone with a vehicle that is the lifeblood of their operation who would take it to a dealership, and have it sit.... warranty repair or not.
Just for fun I called a local shop and they canít get the parts period. They arenít available for a 2019 Duramax. And guess what thatís the first theyíve heard of a Duramax losing an injector that early.

He told me itís under warranty anyhow and why would I want to bring it in, ie let the dealer handle it.

I donít appreciate posts like yours because they arenít helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in