Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Transfer Case Maintenance

26K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  DmaxBill 
#1 ·
Just a friendly reminder to change out your factory transfer case fluid sooner than later. Picture below is my drain plug magnet at only 27,000 miles on my 2019 Chevy. Usually try to do this within the first 10,000 miles, but unable to dedicate the time until the recent Holidays.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
My dads 2016 LML with the first change at 46k miles. The fluid was starting to get dark brown.

My 2017 L5P at ~16k miles/ 730 engine hours. The fluid was still cherry red but had visible metal in the fluid.

I also changed the spin-on trans filter at the same time, the filter media was getting pretty loaded. The transmission filter magnet had some fuzz on it but didn’t look terrible.

I haven’t changed my front and rear diffs yet, but plan to soon. I think getting the break-in wear out early is important.

#4 ·
We think alike.

I did my transfer case, outer transmission filter (2nd time), front & rear differentials, fuel filter (3rd time), and an oil change all at the same time ... about 4 hours in our home garage on my back.

Rear diff was already getting fairly black ... so it was ready to be changed. Front was still caramel-colored and probably did not need to be changed. However, I changed both diff’s so they have the same fluid. Mobil Delvac 75W-90 was available at a great price thru Summit.

Only thing left is the tranny fluid and the internal tranny filter. Not looking forward to this project ... I always make a big mess on this one ... especially in a home garage on my back.

#5 ·
UT,
What fluid did you use in your xfer case? The 75w-90? Just wondering as my 4500 shows a synthetic 50W in the xfer and the 75W-90 synthetic in both diffs.
I just hit 10K on the truck so after seeing your pics-- off to the store to find some fluid. Thanks for the post

#8 ·
Just changed the fluid in the transfer case and rear diff. @ 10786 on the 4500HD. I used Delvac 50W synthetic in the T-case and Delvac 75W-90 synthetic in the rear diff.OM calls out these weights and synthetics for all 3 gearsets. Going to use the same in the front when I can get the truck away from the wife. I did find a gray paste on the T-case drain plug but no flakes etc. On the rear I did find one flake and very light gray paste.

#12 ·
Just hit 12,000 miles. Read this thread and changed oil in my T-case, the plug looked just like everyone else's. I used Valvoline synthetic DEX VI ATF. While I was under there I changed both differentials, they looked good. Filled with AMSOIL 75W90 Severe Gear.

Attachments

#13 ·
Just serviced the t case on my 2020 (36k miles) and come to find out, GM doesn’t put a magnetic plug on these trucks anymore. Plug style is completely different. No 18mm socket anymore. It’s a 8mm hex. And capacity went from 1.6 to 2.4 quarts. Anybody know why they ditched the magnet?

#15 ·
I think they still have a magnet but it's on the bottom of the case or at least I have seen this on some transfer cases on YT there is a channel I'm subs to called precision transmission out of Texas this guy really knows his stuff on transmissions and transfer cases I'm not saying yours has one for sure but if it does I bet that's where it is

#17 ·
Good question. Owner manual doesn’t say. Best I can tell it’s 1.9 quarts front and 3.16 quarts rear. That’s according to Amsoil website. Seems like the rear would be more now since they went to the 12” rear. On my 2008 and 2014 trucks I used to put 2 quarts front and 4 quarts rear and never had a problem. Was probably a little less if you figure some gets left in the bottles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.