At my whits end!!! Need help please!!! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

At my whits end!!! Need help please!!!

I have a 2017 Silverado 2500 that has been having nothing but problems with glow plugs going bad So far I have had #8 go bad 3 times and 4 other cylinders as well. The update was done to module etc. Before I get rid of this Lemon can anyone shed some light on this. I love this truck it does everything I need for out family adventures etc. Gm is giving me the run around. Please help thank in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 08:59 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

What plugs are you putting in the truck?

Also take your truck and have both batteries load tested. They have to be disconnected and tested separately.

There seems to be a correlation between batteries getting low and GPs failing. If either battery is low, replace them BOTH!

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.

Last edited by 407driver; 01-18-2020 at 10:27 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:34 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Have the connectors in the harness to the glowplugs been checked?

Several threads/pictures available.

Might not be the plugs that are bad.

Still under 100,000 miles?
What's the dealer say?

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:48 AM

What redwngr said, what does the dealer say about this? Might be time to see a different dealer.

I would suspect the control module, I have owned Duramax trucks since 2003 and have never replaced a glow plug.

2018 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Frost white.

2015.5 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. Traded

2013 Cadillac CTS-V Black Raven coupe 6mt.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Graystone metallic. Traded

2003 GMC SLE 2500 CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. SOLD
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

407drive I would assume the dealer is using GM glow plugs since they are under warranty. Truck only has 40,300 miles on it. I will recommend them checking the batteries Tuesday when I take it back. I have several friends with L5P's and we all go to same dealership. I honestly think this truck is a Lemon. Always had something wrong with its since 1st month I owned it. I am original owner as well. Been slowly loosing coolant and can seem to find a leak. It hold the pressure test and all Dry underneath but there is the Dexcool smell under the hood. Thanks for your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode