Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2017 Duramax: 837 Miles and Engine/Turbo Trouble

87K views 128 replies 50 participants last post by  DirtEmax-USMC 
#1 ·
Hello All! I recently purchased a 2017 Denali with the new Duramax motor. The truck is great, comfortable and rides amazing; especially when compared to the 2011 F250 diesel that I traded in for this truck. The problem is, after one week of ownership and 837 miles the engine has had some trouble. There are no codes, no check engine light and zero faults recorded in the computer. The truck will hardly run beyond idle and will not even achieve 30mph at wide open throttle. After taking the truck to the dealer for service (which is crazy given it was a week old) they gave me a rental and asked me to be patient... The rental they gave me is from Enterprise and oddly enough is a 2017 F250 Ford Diesel.

I've spoken to GM customer care as well as the dealer every single day as this is a huge concern for my brand new 70k$ truck.

Fast forward to today...

Today is day 13 that my truck has been at the dealer, On day 11 the dealer received authorization from a GM Field quality engineer to remove the intake on the truck and inspect the turbo as they believe it was damaged. The dealer confirmed that the turbo had failed on day 12, I had stopped by the dealer myself to inspect the turbo and speak to the technician working on my truck. The turbo shaft has a lot of play in it, the shaft no longer turns and the impeller is seized. It's very apparent that the impeller wheel has been destroyed and there is metal missing from where it hit the compressor. The bearings feel non existent in the center of the housing. I have a lot of concerns that bearing materials are now in the oil inside the engine as well as metal from the cold side of the turbo in the charge cooler. I've been what I would consider very patient to this point given the circumstance, I've asked to speak to the district manager for GM in regards to the repairs and was denied. GM had sent an email explaining that their "DSM does not have a customer facing role and they have chosen not to communicate with me directly" which is frustrating to say the least. I have requested the truck be replaced given it is less than 1,000 miles and not even a month old, this request was denied as well. At this point on day 13 no one at the dealer or GM can say that we have a path to a resolution.

Has anyone else had trouble with the 2017 Duramax engine, being that it is a new platform?

What should my next course of action be? In New Jersey I am eligible under the lemon law after the dealer has my vehicle 20 consecutive days, should I wait for this or is there other action that I can take?

I've ran this issue up the chain at GM as far as I can and still can't gain any traction. Any help the members here have would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#76 ·
Where are you in NJ? I'm in Hunterdon County. And what dealer is it?

Sucks you went through this but someone was going to. An additional 50k miles on your warranty is a nice trade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#78 ·
So the truck runs good, no complaints there. I put a bit over 300 miles on the truck yesterday without a hiccup so I'm hopeful that everything will be fine as far as the engine goes. The only two things I have noticed and this may be me being super critical is a slight vibration in the gas pedal at 1,200 rpms while under a load ( there is zero vibration below 1,200 and it's gone at 1,500rpm) and a very slight whistle from the turbo at highway speed. I honestly haven't had the truck in so much time that I can't remember if it was like this.

As far as the dealer goes, they are taking the truck back on Friday to repaint my front bumper that they damaged while making these repairs. Upon picking up the truck there was grease on the drivers seat, grease on the fenders and hood and 4 serious scratches in the painted bumper, one through the paint into the plastic below the grill. Not exactly happy with the lack of professionalism they repaired the truck with. It bothers me more that I had to bring these issues up, like I wouldn't notice?? They also damaged the plastic cover under the hood which is unacceptable given it was 2 weeks old when they got it.

Attachments

#80 ·
So the truck runs good, no complaints there. I put a bit over 300 miles on the truck yesterday without a hiccup so I'm hopeful that everything will be fine as far as the engine goes. The only two things I have noticed and this may be me being super critical is a slight vibration in the gas pedal at 1,200 rpms while under a load ( there is zero vibration below 1,200 and it's gone at 1,500rpm) and a very slight whistle from the turbo at highway speed. I honestly haven't had the truck in so much time that I can't remember if it was like this.

As far as the dealer goes, they are taking the truck back on Friday to repaint my front bumper that they damaged while making these repairs. Upon picking up the truck there was grease on the drivers seat, grease on the fenders and hood and 4 serious scratches in the painted bumper, one through the paint into the plastic below the grill. Not exactly happy with the lack of professionalism they repaired the truck with. It bothers me more that I had to bring these issues up, like I wouldn't notice?? They also damaged the plastic cover under the hood which is unacceptable given it was 2 weeks old when they got it.

Interesting on the body damage. I had that happen on my 12. I brought it to their attention but no effort was made to repair it. And the truck was at 3500 miles. So the next time i had it repaired I completely covered the front bumper, leading edge of the hood, and both fenders with three layers of painters tape. They scoffed at that and were insulted even after i reminded them of the damage last time. But, when i removed the tape the first layer had damage probably from belt buckles and buttons but the other two layers and the paint were fine. I have seen some body guys and mechanics who wear their buckle to the side to avoid it rubbing paint.

#83 ·
They do that intentionally , its so you will be so hesitant to go in for warranty work that they save money on warranty repairs .....LOL , but really???

Good luck on your truck I hope it performs flawlessly for a long time !! Good luck with the repairs !! Tell them it's called QUALITY CONTROL

#84 ·
6 year 150k would increase the resale value if you switch vehicles every 4 years @ 120k. I would keep it if you are happy with the repair.

Reactions: Dmax_NW
#88 ·
From my experience, they usually have a local body/custom shop put them in. I had them added to my '13 thru the dealer. They ended up leaking so I called the dealership up and they sent out the manager from the shop that installed them. My buddy just bought a '16 from a different dealer, they sent his to a shop as well to have the cab lights added.

#91 ·
The reason I ordered a new Duramax was being a first time owner was the improvements, no diesel should have to pull fuel from the tank,. it should be pushed, so now they added a factory lift pump plus other mods to the engine. I know after the test drive my dodge would blow its doors off but I'm not into speed anymore and don't plan to modify at this stage as its like a drug, once you start you cant stop!

#93 ·
I cared what design the turbo was given the type of failure. If the turbo was a ball bearing unit (which it is not) I would have had quite a bit more concern that bearing or cage material would have been in the engine oil as I've seen similar failures many times before. While I was concerned either way, the bronze material from the journal bearing failure is less of a concern.

#94 ·
The dealer has made good and the paint work on the bumper is now flawless, they even replaced the plastic cover under the hood to make it like new again. A bit over a 1,000 miles since completed repairs and I can happily say that I love this truck again!

The real test will be next week when I leave for Georgia pulling the race car down to SGMP, this will be about 2,400 miles round trip and loaded with about 10,000 lbs of car and equipment.

#103 ·
I'm sure the Ford is a nice truck, but I just truly cannot stand the interior. The Allison transmission is a big selling point for me too. I don't care if the L5P is the fastest personally, I think the overall package of the GMC is pretty tough to beat.

All of the HD trucks are nice and I'd be happy to drive ANY of them if they were given to me. But for my $, I feel best about spending it on a Duramax.

#108 · (Edited)
wrong thread

#113 ·
I've had this particular car for about 15 years. It campaigned a few years in NMRA True Street, we ran X275 for 1 season and have settled in UltraStreet for the last few years. Car is a 438" small block Ford with a Vortech Ysi, power glide and 9". It's been 4.97@142 in the 1/8 mile and 1.17 60'

Attachments

#118 ·
The blower size is limited by the class rules currently, using the Vortech YSi we see 24lbs of boost. In years past running a XB105 and XB110 we've seen as much as 38lbs on the same motor. We switched the car from C16 to M1 (Methanol) about 3 years ago and now run the car non-intercooled. We suspect it makes in the 1400hp or so range with the current combo. In years past it's made 1,580+rwhp with the bigger blowers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.