Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2017 Duramax: 837 Miles and Engine/Turbo Trouble

87K views 128 replies 50 participants last post by  DirtEmax-USMC 
#1 ·
Hello All! I recently purchased a 2017 Denali with the new Duramax motor. The truck is great, comfortable and rides amazing; especially when compared to the 2011 F250 diesel that I traded in for this truck. The problem is, after one week of ownership and 837 miles the engine has had some trouble. There are no codes, no check engine light and zero faults recorded in the computer. The truck will hardly run beyond idle and will not even achieve 30mph at wide open throttle. After taking the truck to the dealer for service (which is crazy given it was a week old) they gave me a rental and asked me to be patient... The rental they gave me is from Enterprise and oddly enough is a 2017 F250 Ford Diesel.

I've spoken to GM customer care as well as the dealer every single day as this is a huge concern for my brand new 70k$ truck.

Fast forward to today...

Today is day 13 that my truck has been at the dealer, On day 11 the dealer received authorization from a GM Field quality engineer to remove the intake on the truck and inspect the turbo as they believe it was damaged. The dealer confirmed that the turbo had failed on day 12, I had stopped by the dealer myself to inspect the turbo and speak to the technician working on my truck. The turbo shaft has a lot of play in it, the shaft no longer turns and the impeller is seized. It's very apparent that the impeller wheel has been destroyed and there is metal missing from where it hit the compressor. The bearings feel non existent in the center of the housing. I have a lot of concerns that bearing materials are now in the oil inside the engine as well as metal from the cold side of the turbo in the charge cooler. I've been what I would consider very patient to this point given the circumstance, I've asked to speak to the district manager for GM in regards to the repairs and was denied. GM had sent an email explaining that their "DSM does not have a customer facing role and they have chosen not to communicate with me directly" which is frustrating to say the least. I have requested the truck be replaced given it is less than 1,000 miles and not even a month old, this request was denied as well. At this point on day 13 no one at the dealer or GM can say that we have a path to a resolution.

Has anyone else had trouble with the 2017 Duramax engine, being that it is a new platform?

What should my next course of action be? In New Jersey I am eligible under the lemon law after the dealer has my vehicle 20 consecutive days, should I wait for this or is there other action that I can take?

I've ran this issue up the chain at GM as far as I can and still can't gain any traction. Any help the members here have would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Anytime you have a new platform, there are going to be bugs to work out.
And, parts availability can be slim, as all production is funneled to the assembly line, not the parts counter pipe line.

It's the roll of the dice you take as one of the 1st to own new. I'm sure GM support is all over this and it can take some time to resolve....especially if you're one of the few (or the only one) with this failure problem.

On the bright side, at least you have somewhat the equivalent of a rental to drive while they get it figured out....instead of a small two door economy car (or nothing at all). 'uhNo

Reactions: Dmax_NW
#4 ·
As frustrated as I am with the situation, I do understand that this is the gamble you take with any new platform. I've been as patient as possible and I am just itching for a resolution or at least the idea of a resolution. They have had 2 different GM engineers at the dealer up to this point so I know they have some genuine concern, not to mention the out of pocket expense the dealer has for my current rental truck.

FWIW, driving the 2017 Ford diesel the last almost 2 weeks I am still happy with my decision to go with the GMC. That is except for the fact that the GMC is not currently running 'uhNo

#3 ·
Keep us informed on how this goes. Hopefully you were just unlucky and it isn't a sign of things to come. Getting parts is going to be a problem for some time I would imagine. I tried to buy an extra fuel filter yesterday to have for a spare and the dealer doesn't even have those. (not for sale anyway) Had to order it.

I know it sucks but try not to get too discouraged yet. I'm sure your truck has lots of eyes on it from the top of gm's ranks. They've probably already flown engineers in to look at it. Everyone should know by now what they are getting themselves into by being the guinea pig.

Chevor posted that a friend of his has put 6k miles towing on one in less than 2 weeks without a hiccup.

#8 ·
I just spoke to the dealer this afternoon. Engineering has requested that they replace the turbo, they have not addressed my concern of metal being inside the engine as a result of the turbo failure. The service manager tells me that parts for this vehicle are "restricted" as the available parts are being used for production. From what the dealer is telling me, engineering is requesting a special release of the turbo assembly from production to use for repairs to my vehicle. While this is progress, the dealer tells me not to expect anything this week and assures me that they will contact me on Monday of next week (1/23) with an update regardless of where we stand.

I continue my patience...

#11 ·
I just spoke to the dealer this afternoon. Engineering has requested that they replace the turbo, they have not addressed my concern of metal being inside the engine as a result of the turbo failure. The service manager tells me that parts for this vehicle are "restricted" as the available parts are being used for production. From what the dealer is telling me, engineering is requesting a special release of the turbo assembly from production to use for repairs to my vehicle.
Correct.
They only way to get that new part is to divert it from the assembly line.
Once the part is obtained, I'm sure the techs will follow their data supplied at that time and address any needs for clearing debris as part of the repair/replacement.

#13 ·
^^^^^^What he said. I've had more bad experiences with dealer mechanics than good ones.

#10 ·
You have more patience than most! I will say a prayer to the Duramax Gods for you!

#14 ·
Am I being unreasonable to expect that they address my concern for debris from the turbo failure in the engine? I can visibly see the cold side wheel damaged and would imagine those parts are laying in the charge cooler. The bearings in the turbo also failed (root cause?), I can only imagine that any failed material from the bearings would wind up in the oil? It seems like GM is only willing to swap the turbo and that just seems unacceptable to me. When I asked the service department, they can not even say if they have approval to drain the oil let alone look into further issues here. It seems like I have zero recourse and will be stuck with a vehicle I'm not very confident in...

#19 ·
You are not being unreasonable, as a matter of fact, you have been way more patient than probably most here. Truth is that your concerns are real. Debris could get to the bottom of the oil pan, then sucked up where they would grenade the oil pump. Ask them to drop the oil pan and inspect/clean. I hope you the best as I am seriously considering getting a '17 as well. Keep us informed.

#15 ·
For that amount of money I'd want a new truck or the turbo, intercooler and oil to be replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
For what it's worth my company work truck is a 2013 6.7 powerstroke. I've had 2 turbos grenade in 100k miles. Hasn't caused any further damage and I drive the piss out of it. I know you're worried about it and they need to make things right but I'd be more concerned with how long it's going to take to get a new turbo than anything at this point.

#17 ·
You have the right to be concerned about metal in the intercooler. There won't be any in the engine oil that's a sure thing. If there is it will be a very small amount of brass which the oil filter will pick that up. And chances are he will change get the engine oil. He should remove the intercooler and wash it out.
And parts right now for the l5p is in short supply. They can't make the engine fast enough to get on the lots.
In the end. It sucks but you just had bad luck on this one. Shit happens all over the country. I am sure there's an l5p out there with a bad injector. All these are man made parts. Shit happens.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Supreme
#18 ·
I would be concerned with the care they would use in cleaning and putting it back together as new! these are so intricate and hard to work on, I had a new engine put in and it was 2 years chasing all the loose/not secure/ run improperly wires ,hoses and hold downs that were not correct and the shop was a good one, I would not hesitate to DEMAND what makes you comfortable as far as changing oil/filters etc and maybe even get 2 or 3 additional changes on GM's dime and ask to inspect the oil. and look at the cooler tubes etc. Your doing them a favor dealing with this crap. Yes it's just a machine but it's YOUR machine! I would also ask for a extension on the drivetrain warranty in writing. And lastly this is JMHO !

#20 ·
I just spoke with customer care from GM. They tell me that the dealer recieved the replacement turbo this afternoon, the field service engineer was able to pull the required parts from production for the repairs. It seems that this must of went to a fairly high priority for them to be able to source the parts this quickly? While I'm happy to see this type of progress I'm considerably concerned as they will not acknowledge my concern for debris from the failure potentially affecting future reliability... I will be stopping at the dealer tomorrow afternoon in hopes to see the progress first hand.

#21 ·
not good i have a 17 with 1200 miles runs great my 4th one 02-12-15-17 never had a moments problem with them except the 02 injectors whent bad after a 100.000 but that was to be expected on those years i have semis have granaded several turbos on my cat engines over the years cleaned all the pipeing out and air to air changed oil and filters never had one not make it to inframe time 900.000 to a millon+

#23 · (Edited)
I still don't think you need to. Worry about brass being in the oil..... as for the tech Doing the work. He's getting straight time to do this repair so he can take his sweet time doing the repairs. It should be done correctly.

This does piss me off that you guys can't have faith in the techs. I understand why u can't. Alot of hack out there.. but being a gm tech as a light duty diesel tech at that. It pisses me off these fuckers who can't do there job correctly and only want to fill there pockets. I personally take my time. Have everything nice and clean. Torque everything and I still make an hour or 2 on most jobs.
Sorry I won't rant to much. That just hits a nerve with me

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I am absolutely concerned about bearing materials being in the engine, can you tell me if the turbo on the new L5P is of journal bearing design or ball bearing design? That is one question that I have yet to have answered.

As far as the tech that is working on my truck, he seems very competent and I have no reservations as far as that goes. He is the top tech at this dealer and I've been in his work space, meticulous and clean... My concern is that he takes direction from the DSM and FSE at this point, I have seen no evidence that either the DSM or FSE have addressed my concern for metal debris inside the engine. FWIW, the tech shares the same concern that I have as far as the bearing failure goes.

#25 ·
well if it was me and they wont do a oil change the first thing i would do is drive it home pull it in my shop get a oil sample send it off put new oil and filters check the analisis paper and see were things are at then you will have some evidence if something goes wrong in the motor later to fall back on

#26 ·
I hope for your sake I am wrong but can't imagine them not changing the oil and filter and offering you a package of free oil changes!! But remember you may have to ask!
I would still to a oil analysis as well.

#27 ·
Ask them to extend the warranty on the engine... Will you actually still have it after 160K?

#30 ·
Very sorry to hear this. I absolutely would be concerned about fragments making its way into the combustion chambers. More than likely the particles vaporize in the combustion event, but you never know. A piece wedged between the piston and cylinder wall can do a lot of damage.

I suspect they will replace the turbo, flush the intercooler and maybe do a leak down test on the cylinders. If it comes out within spec they will be done. I would absolutely ask for that at a minimum and check the results. Don't accept a compression test.

Unfortunately theres no way to know what happened with the bearings unless they pull the motor and tear it down which they will not do.

Good luck.

#31 ·
My 17 is having issues as well. Mine however seems to be a boost leak (by the sound of it). No codes habe been thrown and it doesn't even do it all the time. But occasionally when I shut the truck off I hear the turbo spool down super loud and smell oil.... I think im headed down your road but I hope not... took mine to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate it when It was doing it while I dropped it off. I even had the damn tech come look at it. His exact words were "sounds like you got a hole in your intercooler"...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.