L5P and after will never be tuned. Period. - Page 132 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

950Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1311 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
Is there any info on the reliability/quality of the modification performed on the ECU to render it flash-able?
I think the mod to make the ECM tunable is the stock in trade of whomever does it and they are not likely to give it up. I think it took them a lot of time and money to make it happen. I suspect that they worked hard to be the first to market where the real money is made quickly. At this point we are primarily happy to have anything available at all. When there are competitive options then we can talk about which is best and in which ways.

For now, if you do this you will be a guinea pig for the rest of us. There just aren't very many of them out there yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1312 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredn3ck View Post
It's much easier to hack something when you have access to the hardware.

https://www.ppei.com/shop/l5p-custom-tuning/

$2,500 for a f*%king ECM, WTF?
post #1313 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 08:04 AM

Simple economics. Something is worth what people are willing to pay for it. Not to mention the added benefit of discouraging tuners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1314 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 AM

So $4000 in total to tune one of these engines? Yeah right. They will find some suckers to pay that but not a lot. That maybe why Ford and Ram have more sales as most guys I know want to tune their trucks. Iím surprised GM is doing this basically cutting themselves out of sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2018 GMC SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab
post #1315 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
So $4000 in total to tune one of these engines? Yeah right. They will find some suckers to pay that but not a lot. That maybe why Ford and Ram have more sales as most guys I know want to tune their trucks. Iím surprised GM is doing this basically cutting themselves out of sales.

GM just offered Buyouts to 18,000 workers with 12 years + hoping 7000 would take.

post #1316 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:59 AM

Oh yeah, they're losing tons of truck sales because people can't tune them. Duramax sales will be in the toilet! Stop assuming that tuners matter to GM or any other OEM. In March of last year they had already built 2 million 6.6 duramax engines. If you buy a different brand because you couldn't put 1300 ft/lbs to the stock transmission, GM says good riddance.

Bottom line is they are making decisions that HELP their bottom line, not hurt it. Dealing with and fighting BS warranty claims costs them a hell of a lot more than losing a couple truck sales to the guy that wants to roll coal in every mall parking lot.

I'm a performance guy... I like mods... I like having something that isn't stock like everyone else's. That said, you're fooling yourself if you think the decision to lock these trucks down is a bad business decision on them. Especially when you add in the possible liability they could share when you defeat legally required emissions systems.
post #1317 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afflicted View Post
GM just offered Buyouts to 18,000 workers with 12 years + hoping 7000 would take.

And? Ford isn't doing any better. Partly because China slapped retaliatory tariffs on US made vehicles to the tune of 25%. All of the big three are struggling.
post #1318 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:10 AM

L5P and after will never be tuned. Period.

ďOh yeah, they're losing tons of truck sales because people can't tune them. Duramax sales will be in the toilet! Stop assuming that tuners matter to GM or any other OEM. In March of last year they had already built 2 million 6.6 duramax engines. If you buy a different brand because you couldn't put 1300 ft/lbs to the stock transmission, GM says good riddance.

Bottom line is they are making decisions that HELP their bottom line, not hurt it. Dealing with and fighting BS warranty claims costs them a hell of a lot more than losing a couple truck sales to the guy that wants to roll coal in every mall parking lot.

I'm a performance guy... I like mods... I like having something that isn't stock like everyone else's. That said, you're fooling yourself if you think the decision to lock these trucks down is a bad business decision on them. Especially when you add in the possible liability they could share when you defeat legally required emissions systems.Ē

Sorry but I totally disagree. They could already tell if someone flashed the ECM before a engine failure so they would just void the warranty. A close friend is the service manager at a local Ford dealer and has told me several stories on this and there was no cost to the manufacturer. I actually have no plans to touch my new 2500 which I love but would like to after the 5 year /100k warranty. And Iím sure there will be a reasonable priced option at that time. At least I hope so anyways. But I also know some friends of mine that want to tune their trucks immediately so my question is would some of these type buyers decide to purchase from a manufacturer based on the ability to tune a truck. Iím not certain but Iím guessing they might.

post #1319 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
But I also know some friends of mine that want to tune their trucks immediately so my question is would some of these type buyers decide to purchase from a manufacturer based on the ability to tune a truck. Iím not certain but Iím guessing they might.

Maybe so... and they are barely a blip on the radar. Everyone seems to think their cause is more important than it is. Tuners don't represent a high enough percentage of buyers to hurt them at all... also, don't be naive and think that Ford and Ram won't follow suit in time.
post #1320 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj46 View Post
Maybe so... and they are barely a blip on the radar. Everyone seems to think their cause is more important than it is. Tuners don't represent a high enough percentage of buyers to hurt them at all... also, don't be naive and think that Ford and Ram won't follow suit in time.

Well and to your point these newer trucks are more powerful and reliable which is why I plan to wait. Just hope there are options as it gets older. Iím worried that all this emissions crap will start failing and become costly to repair as our trucks start to age.

jj46 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode