L5P and after will never be tuned. Period. - Page 133 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

950Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1321 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj46 View Post
Maybe so... and they are barely a blip on the radar. Everyone seems to think their cause is more important than it is. Tuners don't represent a high enough percentage of buyers to hurt them at all... also, don't be naive and think that Ford and Ram won't follow suit in time.

Agreed, and soon weíll see people talking about how they would like a new truck but canít afford the interest rates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 02:36 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

My first house came with a 13.5% interest rate. It was variable and 6 months later it went to 14.7%. I was an idiot to do that but I did. Us idiots have a large clan.

The L5P has been tuned. This was never about what it would cost but rather that it wouldn't happen. You could knock $1500 off the cost of tuning by buying a used ECM instead of a new one. I can see no reason why that wouldn't work.

The thing is that they can't make 1000 tuned ECMs a day. They can only make a certain number and there is no sense building up a 2 year waiting list for $500 tuned ECMs when some people will pay what ever they ask today. Consider what it would cost to get 100 HP more any other way. I doubt that you could do it for what you could buy a tune for today.

After all, if you are going to tune a new truck you will be throwing away $10,000+ in warranty anyway. Another $4000 is hardly going to matter in that calculation.

If I found a 10 oz. gold nugget laying on the ground do you think I should sell it for the $10 it cost me to take it to town to a gold buyer? Heck no. I'd want what ever the market price is today. The same goes for tuning. Today there are enough people willing to pay big money for a tune to buy all of the high priced ECMs there are available. Why should they sell for what it costs to actually do the work?

I have a new prophecy for you. By Christmas next year there will be full tuning for the L5P for less than $1500. MARK MY WORDS because soon others will make similar predictions. I just wanted to be the first ersatz prophet to throw it out there. Be patient and you will have what you desire.

One more thing. The L5P comes stock with about the same HP as you could reasonably get from a tune on an LML or earlier engine. It isn't exactly like we need more power. Deletes and fuel economy might be good reasons to tune today but power isn't really the biggest issue.
Melonhead1102 and jdwarren like this.
post #1323 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
I think the mod to make the ECM tunable is the stock in trade of whomever does it and they are not likely to give it up. I think it took them a lot of time and money to make it happen. I suspect that they worked hard to be the first to market where the real money is made quickly. At this point we are primarily happy to have anything available at all. When there are competitive options then we can talk about which is best and in which ways.

For now, if you do this you will be a guinea pig for the rest of us. There just aren't very many of them out there yet.
most likely all you have said is true.....would be nice if there could be some sort of description (however general) as to the durability of whatever gets modified so the ECM can be flashed. Assuming a hardware modification, is that modification of OEM quality for things like heat and vibration? Beyond the details of the actual modification it would be nice to hear of these things.
48548 and mizterwizard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1324 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj46 View Post
Maybe so... and they are barely a blip on the radar. Everyone seems to think their cause is more important than it is. Tuners don't represent a high enough percentage of buyers to hurt them at all... also, don't be naive and think that Ford and Ram won't follow suit in time.

I think to it depends on where you live. Around here roughly every 4-5 out of 10 new trucks is tuned in first year. But I live in a metropolitan area. Guys here that are buying these trucks donít use them for work but more for fun and show. Most are high trim levels and have bed covers vs tool boxes. They are jacked up and tuned to hell. So I only know my area but when you say itís just a blip thatís totally not the case here in NC. We have a ton of performance shops including Rudyís diesel in Burlington. Itís truly unbelievable how many trucks he runs through his shop every day and how many programmers he ships online. So a blip hardly. Maybe in some parts of the country but not in the Carolinas.

2018 GMC SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab
post #1325 of 1344 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 06:35 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
most likely all you have said is true.....would be nice if there could be some sort of description (however general) as to the durability of whatever gets modified so the ECM can be flashed. Assuming a hardware modification, is that modification of OEM quality for things like heat and vibration? Beyond the details of the actual modification it would be nice to hear of these things.
Certainly the mod involves a physical change in the ECM. I don't think at this point they will give any hint at all about how they did it though. It will get out. Someone with a modded ECM will open it up and blab about what they have but until that happens it will be an unknown. That's okay with me. I don't have an L5P but I can understand that those of you who do would like to know more.

That is why I advise keeping your original ECM and getting a junk yard one to send in. I think they ask for your old ECM because otherwise they would have to buy hundreds of new or used ECMs and I don't know if GM would cooperate. If they bought them from their local junk yards they would soon deplete the available supply. As long as the ECMs are being sold across the country there isn't much of a problem.

If you keep the original ECM you should be able to put it back in if there is a problem and you have to send the modded one in for rework.

Of course I'm totally speculating. It's just what makes sense to me.
post #1326 of 1344 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:34 PM

Just heard PPE is stopping off road tuning. Looks like the guy writing this thread was mostly correct? Lol

They tuned a few but not many before big brother stepped on their pee pee.

post #1327 of 1344 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:38 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
tuned a few
and never......not even close.
dubbleu likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #1328 of 1344 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
and never......not even close.

What you mean?

post #1329 of 1344 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 08:46 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
What you mean?
Period!

1TRIKHD likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #1330 of 1344 (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 09:43 PM

So i'll just cut right to it and ask: Has anybody tuned an L5P?

2019 Ram 3500 4x4-HO SRW 6.7 Cummins-12" rear end
295/70/18 Mickey T MTZ P3

Sold: 2017 3500 L96 4x4
Sold: 2008 Chevy K3500HD (LMM) 6.6 DRW 4x4
EFI Live 1 stage 90hp-160 ft. lb. by ATP tune (-EGR/DPF)
Flo-Pro T409 SS kit w/ T304 SS Muffler
235/80/17 BFG TA/KO2
Frontier Rear Diamond bumper 100-20-7012
Custom Front Cowcatcher. Full bumper/Grillguard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode