2018 L5P Injector Fail 5700 miles - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 06:51 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

You're not alone. Im in Canada and have about 36,000Km on my 2017 2500HD. Has worked flawlessly up until this point. Truck quit last Thursday, had the shudder and shake fit and turned on service engine light and reduced engine power message. The traction light with the snaky lines behind the vehicle turned on as well. Would refire if you opened drivers door and shut off power but would stall again within 100 yards. Towed to dealer and still there. Tech had no idea. Called for help and they claim GM tech hotline told them to check filter for metal shavings which they found. So far have basically ordered an entire replacement fuel system...been a week today and they say lucky to have parts by next Wednesday but no confirmation that parts ordered will fix it.
LonghornTom likes this.

2009 CCSB LMM, Efi Live by Kory, DSP5 in the ash tray, Edge Insight, Deleted, Blocked, 1.5" ProWheel bolt pattern adapters, 20" Denali Wheels, AirLift bags and onboard wireless compressor, Amp Research Power Boards, WeatherTech Mats, SpeedDemon LED in front bumper, Line-X, Custom 5th Wheel SOLD!

2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500 HD L5P, front window tint matched up, Llumar clear stone guard, low profile vent visors, weathertech mats, colour matched mud flaps, 5th wheel, waiting on DEF tank relocate!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 12:19 PM

I have to run additive in the winter if the temps get below 10 degrees or my fuel will gel.

2017 Chevy 2500HD Crew Std. Bed
Duramax L5P

post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22motorsports View Post
You're not alone. Im in Canada and have about 36,000Km on my 2017 2500HD. Has worked flawlessly up until this point. Truck quit last Thursday, had the shudder and shake fit and turned on service engine light and reduced engine power message. The traction light with the snaky lines behind the vehicle turned on as well. Would refire if you opened drivers door and shut off power but would stall again within 100 yards. Towed to dealer and still there. Tech had no idea. Called for help and they claim GM tech hotline told them to check filter for metal shavings which they found. So far have basically ordered an entire replacement fuel system...been a week today and they say lucky to have parts by next Wednesday but no confirmation that parts ordered will fix it.
I just told someone today that I couldn't believe I was the only one having this problem. I've been without a vehicle for 15 days and they don't expect the last fuel line to arrive until Friday June 1. Then it has to be installed and tested. Thank you for your post. I've talked to a few mechanics and have some questions to ask when I get my truck back. I will add the one about metal shavings to the list. Were the shavings in the fuel filter? I love the truck. I want it to be a 150K mile vehicle like my last Chevy 2500 duramax. Hope they get it figured out.

2003 Chevy HD2500 Long Bed LB7 Allison 1000 all stock
2018 DENALI 3500 SRW Long Bed L5P 2" Level, Bilstein shocks, 18" TOYO AT2 285's on stock wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 03:11 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTom View Post
I just told someone today that I couldn't believe I was the only one having this problem. I've been without a vehicle for 15 days and they don't expect the last fuel line to arrive until Friday June 1. Then it has to be installed and tested. Thank you for your post. I've talked to a few mechanics and have some questions to ask when I get my truck back. I will add the one about metal shavings to the list. Were the shavings in the fuel filter? I love the truck. I want it to be a 150K mile vehicle like my last Chevy 2500 duramax. Hope they get it figured out.
Maybe I missed an earlier post on this matter, but isn't the dealer obligated to provide a loaner vehicle during these sorts of drawn-out repairs given that the vehicle is under warranty?

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwarren View Post
Maybe I missed an earlier post on this matter, but isn't the dealer obligated to provide a loaner vehicle during these sorts of drawn-out repairs given that the vehicle is under warranty?
My truck is a SRW 3500 Denali long bed. They gave me a 1500 sierra short bed loaner.

2018 DENALI 3500 SRW Long Bed L5P 2" Level, Bilstein shocks, 18" TOYO AT2 285's on stock wheels.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
Did they change them all anyway?
Now I feel that I'm getting the run around.

My service writer told me two weeks ago that they ordered and were replacing all of the injectors. I spoke to his manager today and he told me that only two injectors failed so they only replaced two injectors. I asked him how exactly did they fail and he said they got stuck. I asked if they got stuck open or stuck closed. He said stuck open. I asked if they were stuck open and spraying diesel in during all four strokes, wouldn't diesel be in all sorts of places it shouldn't be? He said he wasn't sure but would ask the tech. He also repeated that they had one part of the two part fuel line assembly in, but awaiting another part to put it back together again.

post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTom View Post
My truck is a SRW 3500 Denali long bed. They gave me a 1500 sierra short bed loaner.
Yeah...that's weak. Sorry man.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

UPDATE:
Picked up the truck yesterday morning three weeks to the day from dropping it off. Put 250 miles on it in two days driving all over and around Houston. Running great with seemingly better and smoother power. Wonder if I had bad injectors from the get go?

The big delay apparently was the fuel rail they had to remove to get to injector 2 to replace it. Not sure if it was accidental or intentional, but it was destroyed upon removal and they had to wait for a new one which took 9 days.

I have not had an opportunity to speak with a mechanic about the work done and tests run. I will hopefully have time to do that later this week and will report on what they found.

post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 07:28 PM

If you donít mind, what dealer in Houston did the work?

Stock 2018 Duramax L5P

Diamond Back bed cover-line-X black
BadAss font bumper with winch mount
12000 MileMarker hydraulic winch
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Still waiting on mine...21 days today...
LonghornTom likes this.

2009 CCSB LMM, Efi Live by Kory, DSP5 in the ash tray, Edge Insight, Deleted, Blocked, 1.5" ProWheel bolt pattern adapters, 20" Denali Wheels, AirLift bags and onboard wireless compressor, Amp Research Power Boards, WeatherTech Mats, SpeedDemon LED in front bumper, Line-X, Custom 5th Wheel SOLD!

2017 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 2500 HD L5P, front window tint matched up, Llumar clear stone guard, low profile vent visors, weathertech mats, colour matched mud flaps, 5th wheel, waiting on DEF tank relocate!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode