2018 L5P Injector Fail 5700 miles - Page 6 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be installing a post filter gauge on my next truck. Didn't know there was such a thing.

2003 Chevy HD2500 Long Bed LB7 Allison 1000 all stock
2018 DENALI 3500 SRW Long Bed L5P 2" Level, Bilstein shocks, 18" TOYO AT2 285's on stock wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpike View Post
Well fast forward to a couple days ago (10/3/2019) I drop off my son at daycare and when I jumped back in my truck I noticed that the check engine light had come on. So I swing into Advanced Auto and had them run the code that it threw. It was code P1339. I called the dealership and brought it in. About 30 minutes of me dropping the truck off with them the service advisor came out and said I had lost my #2 glow plug and #2 injector. Within 5 hours they had the #2 replaced and I was on my way.

This is at 61,500 miles, I'm getting highly discouraged in this truck. If I wouldn't take such a bath on getting rid of it, I'd probably be in a new Ram.
MBPike I beat you to it.

The rust in fuel issue was the last straw. GMC had my truck for a month. Initially tried to bluff me and have my insurance pay for "water in fuel" caused rust to the fuel system.

I proved they had done all service including changing fuel filter 8000 miles prior with zero note of fuel system contamination or signs of rust in their notes. Also produced fuel card and statements for every fill up the truck had in that 8000 miles. The tech and service manager ran it up the flagpole and begrudgingly they started investigating other issues. Weeks of destructive testing later they tell me that the pickup fuel pump in the fuel tank had rusted causing all of the rust in the fuel line and clogging the fuel filter prematurely. Filter was black and sump had roughly a tablespoon of rust dust in it after settling out for a couple hours. This much rust in 8K miles? Luckily none made it past the filter, but without the check engine light I would have driven another 2K+ miles minimum. Pickup pump was back ordered. Took another two weeks to put back together and test. In the middle of all this I ordered a ram 3500 and traded the Denali in on it two days ago. I loved the Denali when it was on the road, but after 2 days of driving the Laramie 3500 Megacab I don't think I'm going to miss it.

Tech admitted they had two other duramax trucks in for the exact same reason and are trying to blame it on US Fuel production system. Tech said these trucks were designed for diesel with Cetane rating between 32-34. Diesel in my tank and the other two trucks tested at 36. They don't know if its a fuel additive in the pipelines or mixing of fuels in tanks or what, but they blame the fuel (Shell Highway Diesel in my case) for eating the coatings off of metallic parts in the fuel system leading to rust in the fuel system. In my case it was the pickup fuel pump. I don't want to know what happens when the main fuel pump fails due to this issue. Truck has 40K miles and still a good bit of equity trade in value. Time to cut the losses.

See ya duramax forum.

2003 Chevy HD2500 Long Bed LB7 Allison 1000 all stock
2018 DENALI 3500 SRW Long Bed L5P 2" Level, Bilstein shocks, 18" TOYO AT2 285's on stock wheels.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:07 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Following....

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTom View Post
MBPike I beat you to it.

The rust in fuel issue was the last straw. GMC had my truck for a month. Initially tried to bluff me and have my insurance pay for "water in fuel" caused rust to the fuel system.

I proved they had done all service including changing fuel filter 8000 miles prior with zero note of fuel system contamination or signs of rust in their notes. Also produced fuel card and statements for every fill up the truck had in that 8000 miles. The tech and service manager ran it up the flagpole and begrudgingly they started investigating other issues. Weeks of destructive testing later they tell me that the pickup fuel pump in the fuel tank had rusted causing all of the rust in the fuel line and clogging the fuel filter prematurely. Filter was black and sump had roughly a tablespoon of rust dust in it after settling out for a couple hours. This much rust in 8K miles? Luckily none made it past the filter, but without the check engine light I would have driven another 2K+ miles minimum. Pickup pump was back ordered. Took another two weeks to put back together and test. In the middle of all this I ordered a ram 3500 and traded the Denali in on it two days ago. I loved the Denali when it was on the road, but after 2 days of driving the Laramie 3500 Megacab I don't think I'm going to miss it.

Tech admitted they had two other duramax trucks in for the exact same reason and are trying to blame it on US Fuel production system. Tech said these trucks were designed for diesel with Cetane rating between 32-34. Diesel in my tank and the other two trucks tested at 36. They don't know if its a fuel additive in the pipelines or mixing of fuels in tanks or what, but they blame the fuel (Shell Highway Diesel in my case) for eating the coatings off of metallic parts in the fuel system leading to rust in the fuel system. In my case it was the pickup fuel pump. I don't want to know what happens when the main fuel pump fails due to this issue. Truck has 40K miles and still a good bit of equity trade in value. Time to cut the losses.

See ya duramax forum.
Lol, to go with a Ram with the CP4? Good luck!

2018 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Frost white.

2015.5 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. Traded

2013 Cadillac CTS-V Black Raven coupe 6mt.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Graystone metallic. Traded

2003 GMC SLE 2500 CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. SOLD

Last edited by Dmax affair; 10-06-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
MBPike I beat you to it.

See ya duramax forum.
I'm jealous for sure, if I wasn't going to lose so much money, I'd have already done it. Don't feel like taking a 15K bath on this bastard right now. I'm just hoping it continues to up so I can lemon law it. Hows the Ram treating you? I've got some friends with them and they've never seen a lick of problem with them.

2018 GMC 2500 Denali - L5P
Purchased 5/22/2018 - 24 Miles
post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
MBPike I beat you to it.

See ya duramax forum.
I've seen numerous posts over the years of Shell having bad gas/diesel randomly. I've always avoided them, I typically stick with high volume stations or if local I'll go out of my way to get diesel from Chevron stations. Sounds like a combination of both dealer and buyers remorse in your situation, can't say I blame ya!

2020 GMC Denali HD 3500 SRW Quicksilver

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbpike View Post
I'm jealous for sure, if I wasn't going to lose so much money, I'd have already done it. Don't feel like taking a 15K bath on this bastard right now. I'm just hoping it continues to up so I can lemon law it. Hows the Ram treating you? I've got some friends with them and they've never seen a lick of problem with them.
Had a 2007 ram... 16k miles turbo went out, dealer said it was fuel related tried to stick me with the bill. I said hell no, they fixed it and voided the vehicle warranty. After they fixed it, traded it in for a 2008 Duramax... haven't owned another cummins since.

Father had a 2015 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins, non stop problems with emissions systems, head liner kept falling down, navigation didn't work correctly(lookup over the wire updates on Ram nav systems), major tire balancing issues. He finally got fed up after an update caused reduced power/throttle response. He traded it for a 2017 L5P, only issues he's had with his L5P is the glow plug CEL, and the DEF tank sensor software flash.

Long story short... grass isn't always greener, but I would definitely say the GM trucks are IMO better than their Ram counterparts.

2020 GMC Denali HD 3500 SRW Quicksilver

- Michelin LTX AT2s
- BAK Revolver X4
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 11:19 AM

Anyone wanna play a game? It’s called what the is wrong now?!? (2018 GMC Duramax)

So no shit, there I was, driving down the road. And all of a sudden the check engine light, traction control light, and infotainment center emissions warning pops up all at the same time. Truck said I had roughly 175 miles till power was limited and it wouldn’t run over 65 MPH.

Jokes on them, it would run 65 anyways once the shit hit the fan anyways. At idle, the truck feels like it has a major miss to it. Stand on the peddle and it shudders and shakes to about 60 MPH and then hovers around there.

Hit the night drop off in town and took the company vehicle out to the rig. No telling how long it will take to look at it since I’m in an oil town.

Truck history -

Replaced #7 & #8 injector with ECM at 4500 miles.

Replaced #2 injector at 61,000 miles

2K miles later, and who knows. Ready to be done with this truck.

2018 GMC 2500 Denali - L5P
Purchased 5/22/2018 - 24 Miles
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Probably another injector. Who changes the fuel filter. Might check out that thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode