2018 L5P Injector Fail 5700 miles - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

2018 L5P Injector Fail 5700 miles

After a couple months of flawless service I had major loss of power on the Freeway and extreme shuddering/shaking under power. Diagnosis: Multiple cylinders misfiring, failed injector and possibly injector(s). Have to order the entire set of 9 (1 for emissions crap) which takes two days to ship and estimate a two day repair just to get the injectors changed out so they can diagnose pressures and fuel flow rates. Traction Control light came on and went off twice over the roughly 20 mile trip. Check engine light didn't come on until the last mile. Had the check engine light come on earlier, I would have called for a tow.

My last Duramax was a first generation Chevy 2500. Mechanic buddy recommended I state that I was losing power on my next service visit so they would change out my injectors. I scheduled it ahead of time so they had the injectors there when I dropped it off and did the work in one day. Never thought anything of it until today. Maybe that saved me the injector flu on the first one. Can't believe these factory injectors are still such a weak link in an otherwise bulletproof engine and drive train.

Disappointing driving a little half ton loaner truck.

2003 Chevy HD2500 Long Bed LB7 Allison 1000 all stock
2018 DENALI 3500 SRW Long Bed L5P 2" Level, Bilstein shocks, 18" TOYO AT2 285's on stock wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Update

After 4 day wait, the injectors were received and installed. More tests run.

Now I'm being told that they have to replace the fuel lines which will take 5-7 days to arrive.

I asked for an explanation but so far have only reached a service writer and haven't spoken to a tech or mechanic.

All diesel bought from two very busy SHELL stations.

2018 DENALI 3500 SRW Long Bed L5P 2" Level, Bilstein shocks, 18" TOYO AT2 285's on stock wheels.
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:24 PM

Is it possible the insides of the rubber fuel lines are disintegrating?

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by long-time-dmax View Post
Is it possible the insides of the rubber fuel lines are disintegrating?
Very possible, but I haven't been able to speak with anyone who can tell me anything yet other than they ordered new fuel lines.

I've had this happen on an old boat with the new mixed gasolines (sp?) eating up the fuel lines and clogging filters and jets in the carbeurators, but I've not heard of this with Diesel fuel and figured all new vehicles came with fuel tanks, lines and systems designed to handle the new fuels and additives. Teflon coated hoses and treated metals. Apparently nobody else is having this problem or I'm sure someone would have posted.

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Fuel lines have to be replaced due to destructive testing. The crimps and lines are designed for one time installation so removal destroys them and they have to be replaced. 5-7 day wait on parts.

The dealership is suggesting the cause to be fuel related. All Diesel, other than what they filled up at the dealership for delivery has come from one of two SHELL stations.

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:41 AM

Sounds like you may want to change stations or at least get them to change their filters on the pumps. Could have been just one bad fill up though. Back when I was working at a dealer as a wrench (in the 80's) had a car come in - brand new with only a couple of thousand miles - running bad. The carb was absolutely FILLED with trash.

As far as gas fuel lines, ethanol eats certain types of rubber lines that were used on many older boats. It also eats the shellac coating inside the fuel system left there by years of non-ethanol gasoline usage. It doesn't totally dissolve the shellac but breaks it up into tiny pieces that end up in the filter and injection system. I had to replace the injector "spider" in my wife's '98 1500 years back when ethanol started making it into gasoline around here. The fuel filter was insanely clogged up with that dissolved shellac and some of the little injector nozzles were also clogged up.
LonghornTom likes this.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Finally got a response from the service tech today. After destructive testing of the fuel lines and inspecting all of the injectors, he is confident it had nothing to do with the fuel. Only thing he is certain of is total failure of two injectors.
redwngr likes this.

post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 02:02 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Did they change them all anyway?

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Yes. The dealership changed out all injectors and now waiting for the new fuel lines to arrive to put it all back together and run a few more tests.

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 05:18 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Make sure you only use diesel number 2, and no additives! Number 1 diesel burns colder and will cause injector fouling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode