Anyone happy with their L5P - Page 16 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:26 AM

You want need a anti-gel additive as long as your running winter fuel. Winter fuel already has some anti-gel agents in it. So far Iíve had no issues with mine even in 5F-15F temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2018 GMC SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
You want need a anti-gel additive as long as your running winter fuel. Winter fuel already has some anti-gel agents in it. So far Iíve had no issues with mine even in 5F-15F temps.

The problem is not all fuel is treated properly AND if you buy fuel in one region it may not be suitable for where you are going.

Unfortunately there is no simple test strip or other means to immediately tell whether the fuel is properly winterized so when it gets really cold (like it will again this week with actual temps in the -15 range) I will dose the fuel with Power Service in the white container as added insurance. I have the tractor plugged in now so that I can plow the driveway and the small road I am on out to a major county road later today and I dosed its fuel heavily with PS earlier this month because its tank still has a mix of both summer and winter diesel. The tractor is easier to keep an eye on because it uses a clear fuel filter housing and when the fuel starts to cloud you can easily see it through the housing.

2018 2500HD Denali
sold: 2006 Sierra 2500HD LBZ, 2001 Sierra 2500HD LB7
post #153 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:06 AM

Anyone happy with their L5P

I think the only things I donít like or miss from my Ford are as follows

Speedo cluster is offset to right from steering wheel and driver position. Why?

Cab is a lot smaller than my F250

Much harder for upfitting air compressors and other items due to lack of space and no upfitter switches

Loss of badass factor. I donít get nearly as many compliments from strangers than I did with my Ford

Had to go with smaller tool box due to smaller more narrow truck

Still love my GMC though and wonít trade it for a long time due to comfort and seems well built. I havenít towed heavy yet but plan to in March. Excited to see how it compares to my 6.4 F250.

Main things I like:

Cab comfort and cab controls layout. Seats are awesome.

Power feels good even with no tune

Rides good

Love the phone app with remote start and other features

Frame is way stiffer and more ridged than my 08 F250 Ford was. Can tell on off camber positions. No body squeaks or movement.

Even though lacks badass factor of my Ford itís still a great looking truck to me anyways and fit and finish is awesome. Not a lot of extra gimmicks like has simple bumper step vs complicated trash catching moving parts in tailgate assembly. Everything just works without being over complicated.

Engine and tranny are great even though my Ford was too. It feels like the L5P has more low end grunt though which I love.

2018 GMC SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab

Last edited by Sawtooth; 01-26-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:31 AM

Enjoying mine so far, it will be 2 years in April. GM has looked after me each time, 2 ECM reflashes, new sending unit, NOX sensor position 2, low coolant top up and burp.
It's been great for the road trips every time we go and visit family. Quiet, comfortable and runs arrow straight. Having the remote start feature on my phone has been great when leaving work as it's 5 minutes from desk to truck, especially when it's bite-ass cold and blowing a gale.

What could be better; DEF tank and filler location. Passenger window express up and down. A switch in the bed for the lights would be nice.

And the biggest one for me is the non existent throttle response when it's most needed. I really had to adapt to needing much more space in traffic when wanting to make a turn while still rolling and working to time it without needing to stop. My LBZ would react immediately and be gone, this one, give it a 2 second count before it actually goes. My wife has even commented when I haven't made a turn, that's how noticeable it is.

Gareth

2017 Silverado High Country L5P 2500
Be staying near stock for a while
Putco Bumper Grille
LED backup and cargo lights
Duraflap extra long mud flaps

06 Sierra LBZ 2500 CCSB - SOLD
post #155 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 11:52 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

WTF.....I thought the "dead pedal" was an LML only problem.
redwngr likes this.

DPF/SCR technology summarized in three words: It doesn't work.
post #156 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:55 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I still do.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #157 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 01:22 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggetydawg View Post
Enjoying mine so far, it will be 2 years in April. GM has looked after me each time, 2 ECM reflashes, new sending unit, NOX sensor position 2, low coolant top up and burp.
It's been great for the road trips every time we go and visit family. Quiet, comfortable and runs arrow straight. Having the remote start feature on my phone has been great when leaving work as it's 5 minutes from desk to truck, especially when it's bite-ass cold and blowing a gale.

What could be better; DEF tank and filler location. Passenger window express up and down. A switch in the bed for the lights would be nice.

And the biggest one for me is the non existent throttle response when it's most needed. I really had to adapt to needing much more space in traffic when wanting to make a turn while still rolling and working to time it without needing to stop. My LBZ would react immediately and be gone, this one, give it a 2 second count before it actually goes. My wife has even commented when I haven't made a turn, that's how noticeable it is.
Install a Banks Derringer. Biggest difference was the throttle response. No more dead pedal. Several Powerstrokes and Cummins have tried to beat my Duramax from a dead stop in the past few weeks ... and they ended up seeing the black bowtie on my tailgate ... even with 500 lbs of sandbags in the back for winter traction. smile2:

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4Ē Suspension Lift w/ 35ís on Vision Valor Wheels, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Roll Bar (Sport Bar 2.0) w/ 8Ē Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer
post #158 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:59 PM

@UTEngineer

Appreciate that. I'd seen the chatter about the Derringer in other threads and hadn't seen a specific statement on throttle response.
May have to drop the coin for one complete with the iDash.

Gareth

2017 Silverado High Country L5P 2500
Be staying near stock for a while
Putco Bumper Grille
LED backup and cargo lights
Duraflap extra long mud flaps

06 Sierra LBZ 2500 CCSB - SOLD
post #159 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggetydawg View Post
+100.... overall, I don't find the throttle response to be all that bad. HOWEVER... when you come to a stop and quickly try to pull away, yes, it feels like an eternity sometimes. Especially when traffic is coming! Then when it finally does make up it's mind, it lurches forward because you were pushing on the pedal more.

It's amazing to me that this was the best they could do from GM. I wonder if it has something to do with bleeding off pressure while you coast, and can't quickly get back on the boost? I don't know... not a diesel expert here.
post #160 of 206 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:37 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus View Post
WTF.....I thought the "dead pedal" was an LML only problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
I still do.
I've noticed it as well. There are certain throttle inputs that the ECM just doesn't seem to know what to do with, and falls back on some weird mode of only gently applying power.

Once I got a feel for it I developed an instinct for driving such that it isn't really a problem, but it's definitely a legitimate complaint.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode