L5P Low coolant message - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

L5P Low coolant message

Does anyone know the procedure for removing air from surge tank or coolant system. Took my truck to the dealer they said no leaks just needed to remove air from system. Kept my truck two days and several days later message returned.
jimmy.romero likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayh698 View Post
Does anyone know the procedure for removing air from surge tank or coolant system. Took my truck to the dealer they said no leaks just needed to remove air from system. Kept my truck two days and several days later message returned.
I just filled mine up to the top

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

2017 2500HD GMC Denali CCSB
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:16 PM

Took mine in for the same message and they added a little coolant and then tried to charge me for shop supplies (antifreeze) and time! Told them I didn't think that was right as the truck wasn't even due for it's first oil change yet. They finally figured out there was a TSB for it and "waived" the charges.

Didn't require any "burping".

2018 Silverado 2500 LTZ, Ocean Blue Metalic.
Retired and lovin' it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:21 AM

The system is designed to self evacuate air over time but depending upon how much was in the system it may take more than one fill. I have been keeping an eye on mine but so far the coolant level hasn't changed since I picked it up new with less than 20 miles on it.

2018 2500HD Denali
sold: 2006 Sierra 2500HD LBZ, 2001 Sierra 2500HD LB7
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:27 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Fill procedure is in the manual, but as above if it's only down a little just add some and it should self correct after a couple of heat/cool cycles.

Common to have to add a little to a new one.

What year is the truck?
How many miles/how long in service?

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:32 AM

So how much coolant is to much? Can I fill the overflow reservoir basically all the way to the top, or is that gonna cause a fountain under the hood? I do have it slightly above the two arrows, but im wondering if i can add more, I want as much as possible.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:18 PM

Garage
Cracked Hose

Check for coolant leaks. On mine we found a cracked hose that slowly drained the coolant from the system. The coolant return hose clamp was overtightened and the hose split. This hose is right against the firewall next to the AC lines. I had the hose replaced and the coolant system flushed by the dealer.

"Fear is a self-imposed prison that will keep you from becoming what God intends for you to be. You must move against it with the weapons of faith and love" - Rick Warren
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 PM

I had the same issue and the service manager at my dealer said that you top off the reservoir with the surge tank cap off and it will allow the air to bleed out and let the other chamber of the tank to fill. that worked for me.

2017 2500HD Crew Cab, 4X4, Z71, Midnight Edition. Bakflip MX4 Tonneau cover, Weathertech mats.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BlueDMax View Post
Took mine in for the same message and they added a little coolant and then tried to charge me for shop supplies (antifreeze) and time! Told them I didn't think that was right as the truck wasn't even due for it's first oil change yet. They finally figured out there was a TSB for it and "waived" the charges.

Didn't require any "burping".
What TSB is this? I just got the "low coolant" message this morning on initial start after the truck had sat for 3 full days. I have a 2017 GMC 2500.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_tech_02 View Post
What TSB is this? I just got the "low coolant" message this morning on initial start after the truck had sat for 3 full days. I have a 2017 GMC 2500.
Just a quick look and I found this https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/l...l#post11062898 posted in the L5P TSB (service bulletins, recalls, updates) section...

2018 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Frost white.

2015.5 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. Traded

2013 Cadillac CTS-V Black Raven coupe 6mt.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Graystone metallic. Traded

2003 GMC SLE 2500 CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in