13 Hours! and 28 Miles on a Brand new 2019? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reply, I've definitely driven it just as I normally would and my driving style is pretty aggressive. I love the Locking rear diff on this as when you accelerate hard (empty) from a rolling start the right rear slips only for maybe 1/2 tire rotation before it locks and it feels like you're getting hit in the shoulder blades with a 2x4. I love the Power, cant wait to get my 5th wheel RV next year and see how it pulls 13k lbs!!

Thanks,
Epicenter

Daily Driver -
2019 GMC 3500HD SLT Crew Cab SRW 4x4 Z71
All Stock, No Mods planned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 06:29 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicenter View Post
So It Doesnt pop a message when it's doing a Regen? I guess I thought it would, you're probably right then. Was that message more of an "exception than the rule"?

Thanks for the reply
For a normal regen it just does its thing and you won't notice it unless you're in stop and go traffic. You'll notice it's idling higher than normal. You get the message when you're driving slow with really no load and it will tell you to keep driving in order for it to perform the regen.
sargenthp and Epicenter like this.

Casey
2016 Denali 3500HD - Starting from scratch.
Drop shackles. 285/75R18 RTs on Factory Wheels.

2018 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2012 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:08 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Yes it did I don't recall that it said "50 miles" but it said "Regen...Keep Driving" seems like the message dropped after about 30 highway miles, I was Very surprised. My wife was with me and said, "These Diesels aren't going to ask you to do THIS every 50 miles are they." I told her I believed it was because of the apparently long time it spent between my dealership and the Factory Idling (crazy 13 Hrs!). Interesting that' I've never seen another one since and I've got 4619 miles on the truck now but it spends very little time idling and very little time with any city driving/stoplight to stoplight.

Thanks for the reply!
When I meant was, when the regen occurred with 50 miles on the truck (your original post said this happened at 50 miles on odo), did it say "Keep Driving".

(not that it said to drive for 50 miles)

A 'normal' regen will not give a message.
sargenthp likes this.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:35 AM

Funny thing about those messages, Iíve got almost 25k on my 18 now and Iíve never once seen that message. I know it regens as Iíve noticed the elevated idle and smell at times, but noting on the dash. Odd?

No aftermarket dash monitor yet for me, considering the Banks setup in the future, hopefully you can monitor cycles with their idash unit. Would be nice to be able to do a manual regen before a service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:44 AM
Ain't lookin' back

Garage
When I picked up my '18, it had 7 miles on it and 4 hours. I did have 2 regens almost back to back in the first 600 miles (on the drive back home). After that, I regen between 500-600 miles.

I use my EDGE Insight CTS2 to tell me when I'm in regen. Love that feature because I can adjust my route home to allow additional time to complete the regen process.

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD High Country - Graphite - CC/LB DRW 4x4 (L5P)
R.I.P. Julie the Dually - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD CC/LB DRW 4x4 (LML)

DF DRW Club Member #237
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 09:16 AM

It didn't hurt it but that was a lot more idle time than what mine had however it only had 7 miles on it when I took delivery.

Outside of using a monitor there are several indications when a regen is taking place. In town you will notice a much higher idle speed when stopped in gear, a distinct smell if the windows are down, and the transmission has a different feel because of the increased idle speed when braking to a stop. If you shut it off you will hear the clinking noises of a very hot exhaust system cooling off. On the highway you will notice a distinct drop in mileage.

You will only get the message if it has tried several times but has been unable to complete a regen because the vehicle isn't spending enough time at sufficient speed to allow the cycle to complete.
The Mekanik likes this.

2018 2500HD Denali
sold: 2006 Sierra 2500HD LBZ, 2001 Sierra 2500HD LB7
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes youre correct, my bad on the read. I was at 50 miles on the ODO and it said "Keep Driving..." I assumed this is what it should do everytime a regen occurs but apparently that's not true. This is my first Diesel. Thanks for the replies!

Thanks,
Epicenter

Daily Driver -
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you, that's what I was wondering. I'm a first time diesel owner and still learning... LOVE the Truck, it's AWESOME!

Thanks,
Epicenter

Daily Driver -
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:22 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks I'll be taking it in at 5k to get the oil changed and tires rotated.
I've lost count of the horror storied posted about going in for the "free" oil change, and leaving with dents, bent mirrors, loose filters, loose drainplugs, wrong oil, wrong oil level, stained seats, loose lugnuts .... etc..etc...

The guy doing the "free servicing" is the lowest paid guy on the lot. You really want this guy touching your $60k truck?

If you cant change it yourself, for whatever reason... you need to make it real clear to the service manager BEFORE they touch your truck, that you want one of the line guys, to do it.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 02:13 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mekanik View Post
Funny thing about those messages, Iíve got almost 25k on my 18 now and Iíve never once seen that message. I know it regens as Iíve noticed the elevated idle and smell at times, but noting on the dash. Odd?

No aftermarket dash monitor yet for me, considering the Banks setup in the future, hopefully you can monitor cycles with their idash unit. Would be nice to be able to do a manual regen before a service!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Most will NEVER see any message.
The Mekanik likes this.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode