13 Hours! and 28 Miles on a Brand new 2019? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
13 Hours! and 28 Miles on a Brand new 2019?

When I got in my truck for the first time picking it up at the dealer for a test drive / shake down run I noticed on the DIC that it had 13 HOURS and 28 miles on the truck. When I asked my salesman he said that was average for all delivered Duramax trucks, Really?

Why do they leave it idle so long, supposedly that's not good on the new Clean Diesel motors? Ironically at 50 miles on my truck (just after I got it home) it kicked into a REGEN cycle. Obviously due to the idle time before delivery.

Now after 6 months and 4500 miles it's driven only on trips no shorter than 30 miles at about 60mph and it's Never had another regen cycle.

Anyone know WHY they let these new trucks idle for so long before

Thanks,
Epicenter

Daily Driver -
2019 GMC 3500HD SLT Crew Cab SRW 4x4 Z71
All Stock, No Mods planned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Your saying your truck hasnít regened in 4500 miles or since the first one at 50 miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:29 PM

13 Hours! and 28 Miles on a Brand new 2019?

Haha no, if it really hasnt regened in 4500 miles, there is/already is going to be a problem, I highly doubt it hasnt regened for that long. Do you have some sort of way to track it like an edge insight or something? Also I would not say 13 hours of idling is normal for brand new trucks, I would honestly be concerned about how that engine is doing internally, that much idling on a brand new diesel engine may mean that the rings dont seat correctly, and your truck burns a significant amount of oil its whole life. The only thing I can think of is that those hours might have come from dyno testing at the factory??? 13 hours though is a significant amount for a truck that has 28 miles on it. I would not have purchased that truck, hopefully it is ok, just watch the oil level, I would be most concerned that it may be burning oil. I would also change the oil ASAP, because if it really idled for that long as a new engine, I would be willing to bet that the oil is very diluted with fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Mekanik likes this.

Last edited by 1thackattack; 12-19-2018 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 06:33 PM

It has probably regened 1/2 a dozen times & you haven't noticed
jwcgmc1985 and Epicenter like this.

2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ, Z71, SRW.
Summit White
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:41 PM
DGP

While I'm a big believer of breaking motors in hard or under a load, yours will be fine. I wouldn't worry at all. Also it has definitely done multiple regens in 4500 miles
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:50 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicenter View Post
When I got in my truck for the first time picking it up at the dealer for a test drive / shake down run I noticed on the DIC that it had 13 HOURS and 28 miles on the truck. When I asked my salesman he said that was average for all delivered Duramax trucks, Really?

Why do they leave it idle so long, supposedly that's not good on the new Clean Diesel motors? Ironically at 50 miles on my truck (just after I got it home) it kicked into a REGEN cycle. Obviously due to the idle time before delivery.

Now after 6 months and 4500 miles it's driven only on trips no shorter than 30 miles at about 60mph and it's Never had another regen cycle.

Anyone know WHY they let these new trucks idle for so long before
Are you saying it gave a 'keep driving' message at 50 miles?

Normal regens will not give any message -- and as others posted, it will have done a bunch of them by 4500 miles.
Epicenter likes this.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Yes it did I don't recall that it said "50 miles" but it said "Regen...Keep Driving" seems like the message dropped after about 30 highway miles, I was Very surprised. My wife was with me and said, "These Diesels aren't going to ask you to do THIS every 50 miles are they." I told her I believed it was because of the apparently long time it spent between my dealership and the Factory Idling (crazy 13 Hrs!). Interesting that' I've never seen another one since and I've got 4619 miles on the truck now but it spends very little time idling and very little time with any city driving/stoplight to stoplight.

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks,
Epicenter

Daily Driver -
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Both yes, It regened at 50 Miles and I now have 4619 on the truck and it's not had another one. I do mostly highway driving, very little stoplight to stoplight.

Thanks,
Epicenter

Daily Driver -
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Yes I thought it was excessive as well. Seems to be running great, I appreciate the input. I'll be taking it in at 5k to get the oil changed and tires rotated. I don't know if this matters but I was told when I ordered it back in May that it was the 4 "customer ordered 2019 3500HD Crew Cab for the new model year so maybe they did additional testing or something? It was built on 6/25/19

Thanks,
Epicenter

Daily Driver -
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
So It Doesnt pop a message when it's doing a Regen? I guess I thought it would, you're probably right then. Was that message more of an "exception than the rule"?

Thanks for the reply

Thanks,
Epicenter

Daily Driver -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode