DPF regen needed WHILE CAPTURED? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

DPF regen needed WHILE CAPTURED?

Newbie here - 6 weeks into a '19 2500 that will be towing an 8K trailer. Just trying to be prepared.

So let's say you are towing your trailer down the interstate, go around a curve, and traffic is at a dead stop as far as you can see. No exits in sight and as we all know these waits are rarely short.

Just as you roll to a stop, you get the message "Continue Driving to complete regen" or whatever it says. I've read that it might disable the truck if you shut it off at this point, and you can't continue driving for a good while.

Do you shut it off, do you put it in neutral and rev up to 2000 rpm's until it's finished? How do you handle that situation??

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Garage
If you are in an active regen while driving, it will remain in regen at idle or continue where it left off if you shut it down until all soot is burned off in the DPF. While towing, you are also generating elevated exhaust temperatures which aids in burning off this soot.

In the three years that I've had my truck, I've never seen the "continue driving" message ever come on.

You will experience multiple regens in your future. You will know as the idle speed will be elevated. I feel it the most at stop lights as it requires a little more brake pressure to hold her back (plus I have a CTS that monitors soot grams and Regen Status). I don't believe the CTS can monitor soot grams in the '17's or above...I believe it's soot percentage).

I don't think this will be a concern for you...the bigger concern will be sitting in traffic for long periods of time. That sucks...
jdwarren likes this.

2016 Sierra 2500HD Denali CCSB 4x4
- CCM Leveling Kit
- Bilstein 5100 Shocks
- BFG KO2 (275/65R20)
- Edge Insight CTS2 in Console Mount
- Highway Products Tool Box
- LED Fog Lights
- Rigid LED Back Up Lights
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 11:32 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Been driving DPF trucks since 2010.

Still haven't seen a 'keep driving' message.
As EJCarter says most won't ever see that message.

Stop overthinking it and enjoy the truck.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
Been driving DPF trucks since 2010.

Still haven't seen a 'keep driving' message.

As EJCarter says most won't ever see that message.

Stop overthinking it and enjoy the truck.

Iíve seen it once mainly because my trip to work is only 3 miles. If your towing and driving long distances I highly sought youíll ever see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I've spent 6 hours studying/reading the manuals trying to get knowledgable. I was under the impression that the regen required more exhaust heat than what is generated at idle. Are you saying it can complete the regen at idle, and without me increasing the idle speed?

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afflicted View Post
Iíve seen it once mainly because my trip to work is only 3 miles. If your towing and driving long distances I highly sought youíll ever see it.

Yes if you keep stopping thus interrupting the process then you will eventually see this message.

2018 GMC SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins View Post
I've spent 6 hours studying/reading the manuals trying to get knowledgable. I was under the impression that the regen required more exhaust heat than what is generated at idle. Are you saying it can complete the regen at idle, and without me increasing the idle speed?

No it will attempt to finish at idle for 5 minutes or so then will turn regen off and the idle will go back down to normal. But as soon as you start driving again it will reactivate the process. No messages will pop up though till after multiple attempts.

thedynoguy likes this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins View Post
It can not complete a regen at idle speeds alone, but it will keep the idle elevated during a regen to try and keep EGT's up until you can continue driving. If you notice the truck is attempting a regen, either by the idle being elevated, monitoring on a CTS display or seeing the message on the DIC, continue driving it for several miles. I've noticed the easier you can drive it the quicker it will finish. If you can maintain 40-55 MPH for 10-15 miles, that's usually enough.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 AM

So I have a question myself. There are times Iím in a hurray and arrive to my destination before regen is complete. Is it hard on anything heat wise to just shut it down while regen is still in process? These trucks regen so often seems like Iíve already ran into this a few times now.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

My LML probably had more interrupted regens than non-interrupted ones.

In my opinion/experience it's not an issue.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode