Anyone Deleted Their L5P Yet? - Page 8 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 07:54 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman
so far under my extended warranty they replaced my entire radio, drivers leaf spring, one seat, all this would go away with delete, plus its against the law!
Dales Super Store likes this.

To many vehicles to little time! New LP5 owner first 2017 GMC Denali Duramax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:15 PM

Anyone Deleted Their L5P Yet?

[QUOTE=monkeyman;12187325]so far under my extended warranty they replaced my entire radio, drivers leaf spring, one seat, all this would go away with delete, plus its against the law![/QUOTE

Yeah but so is crossing the boarder illegally but no one seems to care. So I will delete when Iím ready.
Grog likes this.

2018 GMC SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab
post #73 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
so far under my extended warranty they replaced my entire radio, drivers leaf spring, one seat, all this would go away with delete, plus its against the law!
That is incorrect. Deleting would void any warranty claims on anything that could reasonably be caused by the delete. For example. If the transmission goes out on a deleted and tuned truck the warranty would not cover it. They can not deny a claim for a radio or seat because you deleted the emissions tho.

Do a search for Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

2019 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Midnight Edition
Previous:
2012 LTZ LML Crew Cab
2006 LT LBZ Crew Cab

Last edited by 2THE9S; 07-30-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:01 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If you delete I think you can forget about any warranty from any source on anything that could be connected to the deletes. If an axle twists off you can bet they will claim it is due to the delete.

If you delete, you are the warranty.

How can a warranty company possibly assess the risk associated with a modified system? In their mind it is a total unknown. They have only one way to deal with an unknown, don't insure it.
wensteph likes this.
post #75 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
If you delete I think you can forget about any warranty from any source on anything that could be connected to the deletes. If an axle twists off you can bet they will claim it is due to the delete.

If you delete, you are the warranty.

How can a warranty company possibly assess the risk associated with a modified system? In their mind it is a total unknown. They have only one way to deal with an unknown, don't insure it.

For anything that could reasonable be caused by the delete and tune, you are correct. For things like the seat and stereo that were mentioned earlier, the warranty would still cover.
Dales Super Store likes this.

Previous:
2012 LTZ LML Crew Cab
2006 LT LBZ Crew Cab
post #76 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2THE9S View Post

For anything that could reasonable be caused by the delete and tune, you are correct. For things like the seat and stereo that were mentioned earlier, the warranty would still cover.

Yep this is correct. Been through this already with my Ford F-250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2018 GMC SLT 4x4 2500 crew cab
post #77 of 89 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:59 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2THE9S View Post

No argument with that but I can see any warranty company straining at gnats to get out of a serious claim. On the other hand, you would be paying for a warranty on the full drive train that would be automatically exempt from coverage. Makes for a pretty expensive radio and upholstery policy.
post #78 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No argument with that but I can see any warranty company straining at gnats to get out of a serious claim. On the other hand, you would be paying for a warranty on the full drive train that would be automatically exempt from coverage. Makes for a pretty expensive radio and upholstery policy.
Historically, after owning two other Duramax trucks, the only warranty claims Iíve ever had was with the emissions system on my 2012. There were a lot of them on that truck. Last 4 times were in the last 6 months of ownership. Several other emission issues before that as well.

Other than a couple of glow plugs on my 2006, I had no issues with it until 254,000 miles when I had to replace the injection pump. That was way past the warranty time and mileage.

Maybe Iím naive, but in my mind, if I get rid of the most failure prone system on the truck, the chances of me needing a warranty are slim to none.

Previous:
2012 LTZ LML Crew Cab
2006 LT LBZ Crew Cab
post #79 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:12 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I concur that the emissions controls on diesel trucks for the last 20 years have been a real weakness. I am in favor of eliminating the weakness. I am also in favor of waiting until the warranty is gone or at least until it is near its end.

I don't believe there is any warranty, OEM or aftermarket, that will cover a deleted drive train and certainly not a tuned drive train. If someone deletes the first thing they delete is the warranty on anything connected with the drive train.

I think tuning and deleting are good things generally because of how poorly the smog stuff is implemented. I just think most people don't count the real cost of what they are doing.

I think that some of the newer trucks may be over the hump as far as emissions controls problems. Maybe I'm not seeing things clearly but it seems that in the last two or three years there haven't been as many problems. It may be time to stop deleting. I'm not willing to make that call though. It could be that given enough miles the same problems will come back.

It is a rare thing to delete a gas truck these days because the smog controls they have are working just fine. Some day I hope it becomes like that for diesels too.

That doesn't mean that tuning will ever become a thing of the past though.
post #80 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I concur that the emissions controls on diesel trucks for the last 20 years have been a real weakness. I am in favor of eliminating the weakness. I am also in favor of waiting until the warranty is gone or at least until it is near its end.

I don't believe there is any warranty, OEM or aftermarket, that will cover a deleted drive train and certainly not a tuned drive train. If someone deletes the first thing they delete is the warranty on anything connected with the drive train.

I think tuning and deleting are good things generally because of how poorly the smog stuff is implemented. I just think most people don't count the real cost of what they are doing.

I think that some of the newer trucks may be over the hump as far as emissions controls problems. Maybe I'm not seeing things clearly but it seems that in the last two or three years there haven't been as many problems. It may be time to stop deleting. I'm not willing to make that call though. It could be that given enough miles the same problems will come back.

It is a rare thing to delete a gas truck these days because the smog controls they have are working just fine. Some day I hope it becomes like that for diesels too.

That doesn't mean that tuning will ever become a thing of the past though.
As long as they are pumping exhaust back thru the motor, you are shortening the life of the motor the longer you allow it!

Once upon a time, Isuzu was contracted to design a diesel motor that would last 250,000 miles with nothing more than basic maintenance. Now we get motors that are so chocked by soot when it reaches the 100,000 mile mark that you are not going to get the life out of it you could have if it were deleted.

Previous:
2012 LTZ LML Crew Cab
2006 LT LBZ Crew Cab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode