Bump Steer w/ Leveling Kit - Caused by Factory Tie Rod Angles ? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757ian123 View Post
So based on what you are saying, we need to buy longer tie rods any time we lift our trucks?

Or is this just a problem because the keys have been cranked so much?
Mizterwizard is correct.

Most “lifts” include a part (aftermarket knuckle) that properly relocates the tie rod attachment location on the wheel end of the tie rod.

“Leveling kits” do not include aftermarket knuckles, they still use the stock knuckle tie rod mounting location, which is now significantly lower in relation to the centerlink than before the lift (cranking the torsion keys or replacing with aftermarket keys).

The factory tie rods have sufficient length adjustability to compensate for the lift.

But this is not the issue I was referring to.

My theory is the ball stud within the stock outer tie rod is at too steep of an angle to allow further rotation when the suspension drops away, which actually pulls the front of the tire inward momentarily until the suspension rebounds.

The ReadyLift tie rod design has the proper bend in the outer tie rod section to achieve a more perpendicular connection with the knuckle ... thus allowing the ball stud to return to its neutral perpendicular position ... which allows for ample rotation with suspension movement.

I have attached a hand drawing to better explain my theory. Also included a parts diagram to show the ball stud.

Apologize ... I am not the best artist regarding the drawing ... but hopefully it communicates my theory on the problem.
Attached Images

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4 Suspension Lift w/ Heavy Duty Tie Rods, 35 Tires on 18x8.5 Vision Valor Wheels, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Roll Bar (Sport Bar 2.0) w/ 8 Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer, Kryptonite Heavy Duty Pitman and Idler Arm, Centramatics

Last edited by UTEngineer; 04-01-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2020, 04:49 AM

That's exactly what is causing the slight bump steer. Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do about it with the angle the torsion lift puts on the tie rods. The alternative is a regular suspension lift kit that keeps factory geometry, but those kits will be higher, I think 5" is the lowest height.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:49 PM

Fab tech offers a 3.5 in lift that can pretty much be a glorified leveling kit. Comes with knuckles

Bone stock 2012 cclb dually 4x4 LML - Sold 05 lly 6in rcd, 4in straight pipe, banks ram air, efi live, afe mp,20in moto metals,35 12/50 toyo open country mud terrains , mag hytec pans, di pricol boost and pyro gauges, and 149xxx and counting-was a great truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-14-2020, 09:50 PM

I have it and I like it, does not come with diff drop. That could be added but fab tech said it’s not needed . I had a leveling kit on before and it rode like shit. Now it rides a lot better. Also comes with uca’s

Bone stock 2012 cclb dually 4x4 LML - Sold 05 lly 6in rcd, 4in straight pipe, banks ram air, efi live, afe mp,20in moto metals,35 12/50 toyo open country mud terrains , mag hytec pans, di pricol boost and pyro gauges, and 149xxx and counting-was a great truck

Last edited by duramaxen; 02-14-2020 at 09:55 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duramaxen View Post
I have it and I like it, does not come with diff drop. That could be added but fab tech said it’s not needed . I had a leveling kit on before and it rode like shit. Now it rides a lot better. Also comes with uca’s
I changed out the Tuff Country 3.5” leveling kit for the Fabtech 3.5” UCA kit. It was better but truck suspension was still way too stiff from cranking up the torsion bars in my opinion. I upgraded to Fabtech’s 4 inch suspension lift kit and will never do a leveling kit again that stiffens the suspension. Got my cowboy cadillac plush ride back. Plus Fabtech has a free upgrade where they refund your leveling kit cost toward their suspension lift kits. Not meant to offend anyone with leveling kits ... just my personal experience and opinion.

https://fabtechmotorsports.com/suppo...de-up-program/

2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Duramax (L5P) Crew Cab 4x4 SRW Standard Box High Country Loaded w/ Rear Entertainment Package, Fabtech 4 Suspension Lift w/ Heavy Duty Tie Rods, 35 Tires on 18x8.5 Vision Valor Wheels, Luverne Grille Guard w/ Parking Sensor Relocation Kit, Rhino Roll Bar (Sport Bar 2.0) w/ 8 Hella Off-Road Lights, Banks Derringer / iDash / Intake / DPF Back Exhaust, Fabtech Stealth Shocks w/ Front Limit Straps, Front & Rear Hellwig Sway Bars, Airlift Air Bags w/ Wireless Air, DuraFlap Mud Guards, S&B MAP Sensor Spacer, Kryptonite Heavy Duty Pitman and Idler Arm, Centramatics

Last edited by UTEngineer; 02-15-2020 at 09:03 AM.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old Today, 08:08 PM

Nice^^. Ya I’m happy with the 3.5 but the real 4 would ride better I’m sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode