Manual regen - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Manual regen

So my truck decided to go into regen mode right when I got home, so I used my edge cts2 to do a manual regen just for kicks and giggles to see what it was like(donít think the elderly neighbors liked it to much). Anyways it said that afterwards a oil change may be necessary, is that true? I have 78% oil life and I run mobil one synthetic. Just curious under what circumstances that a oil change afterwards would be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by 1thackattack; 05-01-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:56 AM

A stationary regen gets everything extremely hot even compared to a normal regen where you have plenty of forced air cooling throughout the engine compartment. I suspect GM feels the temperature generated during a stationary regen may degrade the oil sufficiently to require a change.
When GM introduced "camel mode" (allows the engine to safely run at reduced power after cooling system failure by alternating cylinder banks) for some of the Cadillac engines a number of years ago once camel mode was engage the change oil message automatically popped up.

I wouldn't run a stationary regen unless absolutely necessary (as in DPF couldn't clean itself in normal operation thus requiring a forced stationary regen to clear the codes and reduced performance restrictions).

2018 2500HD Denali
sold: 2006 Sierra 2500HD LBZ, 2001 Sierra 2500HD LB7
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 AM

I usually run a manual monthly on my work diesels. Have had problems with the DPF in the past and the dealer suggested once a month. When I run it manually, it seems to do a significantly better job of cleaning as there is white smoke and the tailpipe gets roasting hot. I do not do any oil changes afterwards. If you monitor the engine temps it does not run any hotter during a regen so I assume it is not doing anything bad to the oil.

2017 Sierra 2500HD Denali Dmax
2011 Silverado 3500HD Dually Dmax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:43 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

If anyone is curious and wants to watch a really dull video, I did a manual Regen on my stock LML with the Edge Insight CTS2 this A.M. to get a baseline for how often the DPF needs to get cleaned under "normal" (for me) driving using Opti- Lube XPD.

So just for fun, if you go to this channel, you will see three vids. And yes, it is scary the first time you do it.

And have one of these handy.

2015.5 GMC Denali HD LML 6.6' bed CC SRW
EMISSIONS ON, Resonator delete, PCV relocation, AFE Rear Diff Cover, 34.5" Toyo AT2 Tires, Bilstein Shocks, FASS 95gph/ lowered PSI lift pump, Exergy Fuel System Saver, Dirty Hooker Diesel Line Pressure Modifier, Edge Insight CTS2 Monitor
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 09:45 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMLMAO View Post
If anyone is curious and wants to watch a really dull video, I did a manual Regen on my stock LML with the Edge Insight CTS2 this A.M. to get a baseline for how often the DPF needs to get cleaned under "normal" (for me) driving using Opti- Lube XPD.

So just for fun, if you go to this channel, you will see three vids. And yes, it is scary the first time you do it.

And have one of these handy.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lml+mao

I forgot the video link!

2015.5 GMC Denali HD LML 6.6' bed CC SRW
EMISSIONS ON, Resonator delete, PCV relocation, AFE Rear Diff Cover, 34.5" Toyo AT2 Tires, Bilstein Shocks, FASS 95gph/ lowered PSI lift pump, Exergy Fuel System Saver, Dirty Hooker Diesel Line Pressure Modifier, Edge Insight CTS2 Monitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode