Distance between regen - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Distance between regen

I understand there’s several things that factor into regen cycles. Does anyone know what the average/normal distance between regen’s should be? My truck has been in and out of the shop all of its 8500 mile life. I just got the truck back from the dealership and getting 281 miles between regens with regens taking 35+ miles to complete up to 75 miles a few times. When I drive the truck it’s 14 miles of freeway and 1/2 mile city driving to work. In its life the truck has been in regen over 24 times now.. I’m not crazy and counting cycles- one of the times the tech showed me the read out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 03:35 AM

My 15 lml regens about every other tank of fuel maybe around 8 to 1000 miles maybe a little more if that helps

2015.5 gmc Lml 2500 slt double cab no modifications
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:02 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Lml and l5p are completely diff. The l5p regens more often than the lml. Cant compare the 2.

How much idle time does the truck see. Idling will drastically change distance between regens. With the driving I do. Sometimes I see more around town and sometimes it's more interstate. I have seen anywhere from 180 to almost 600 between regens.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:46 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Those short commuting trips aren't helping it. It needs enough time to complete its regen, or else it will constantly be trying to finish. Whenever my wife drives mine on her short work commutes, it seems to constantly be in regen.

2018 GMC l5p ccsb stone blue metallic. Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackles. Truxedo tonneau cover. 20% tint. B&W turnover ball hitch. N Fab running boards, Duraflaps, Rhino lined bed

Traded:05 lly ccsb 205k miles, built trans and supporting mods

Traded:09 LMM CCLB Bone stock, fully loaded. 86xxx miles.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:47 AM

My 2018 is running about 600 miles between regens consistently. I have extremely limited in town driving so it is almost all either interstate or rural roads and highways with little traffic.

14 miles is a pretty short trip for diesel truck standards and mine doesn't come up to full operating temperature until at least 5 miles and more when it is cold. I suspect that has a lot to do with your shorter time between regens.

2018 2500HD Denali
sold: 2006 Sierra 2500HD LBZ, 2001 Sierra 2500HD LB7
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:13 AM

I am aware that it’s a different duramax it was just for comparison

2015.5 gmc Lml 2500 slt double cab no modifications
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:40 PM

My fairly new 19 3500HD rarely goes into regen. I have only been running the higher cetane renewable 99 fuel since it was new (its available at a nearby station and happens to be less cost than diesel 2). I also have used very little DEF as compared to my 16. Anyone have experience with R99 fuel perhaps using less DEF and running cleaner with less regens?
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:15 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

How have you determined the amount of def used?

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 09:32 AM

One thing to consider... your short trips are clogging the DPF up much faster than someone doing highway miles. There is a way to combat this and help keep the regen's further apart and shorter. I experienced your same issue as I drive 20 miles to work (70% at 55mph). My regen issue got really bad, so I looked for a way to beat it. What I have been doing since then is using the Lucas Diesel fuel treatment that cleans the fuel system, and cleans the DPF out. I have never had an issue since using that (do one cleaning at each oil change) and my mpg is back up to where it was when newer. I would go this route and you should be able to get back to normal.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_tech_02 View Post
One thing to consider... your short trips are clogging the DPF up much faster than someone doing highway miles. There is a way to combat this and help keep the regen's further apart and shorter. I experienced your same issue as I drive 20 miles to work (70% at 55mph). My regen issue got really bad, so I looked for a way to beat it. What I have been doing since then is using the Lucas Diesel fuel treatment that cleans the fuel system, and cleans the DPF out. I have never had an issue since using that (do one cleaning at each oil change) and my mpg is back up to where it was when newer. I would go this route and you should be able to get back to normal.

Snake oil doesnít do shit except empty your wallet!
redwngr likes this.

2018 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Frost white.

2015.5 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. Traded

2013 Cadillac CTS-V Black Raven coupe 6mt.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Graystone metallic. Traded

2003 GMC SLE 2500 CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode