L5P RPM surge during decel - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017-19 GM T-K2 Platform Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

L5P RPM surge during decel

I purchased a brand new 2019 2500HD Duramax and at 1200 miles I noticed the engine surging during decel. When coasting to a stop from ~30mph (any speed as long as the transmission is in 2nd gear or higher when beginning the decel) when the truck is around 15mph, the RPM begins to surge 150-200 rpm. The RPM will continue to surge until the truck decels below about 12 mph at which time 1st gear engages and normal decel resumes. If on a slight downhill where the truck will maintain ~15mph, the surging will continue.

I brought it to the dealer and replicated the issue for them (now at 2200 miles and I can replicate the surge almost every time on decel). The dealer acknowledge this did not seem right. They ran their standard tests and did not find any issues. They then contacted GM corporate who took one of their vehicles and also replicated the problem on their vehicle! My dealership then took another truck from their lot and were also able to replicate the issue. Since all of the trucks had the same problem, GM claims this is 'normal' and is not an issue.

Has anyone else reported this issue? Can you go test your truck and see if you can duplicate the issue? If so, please bring it to your dealers attention. At the direction of my dealer, I filed a complaint with GM corporate to get the issue looked at further.

I'll post a video below if I can get it to upload. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Here is the video. Disregard the knocks you hear, those are due to phone movement. You can not hear the engine but you can see the RPM surge around 15 mph.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:11 AM

L5P RPM surge during decel

If you had a monitor to see what actual gear you are in, you would probably see that itís downshifting as you slow down. Mine does it too. Then at some point decelerating through 2nd gear and before it shits to 1st the torque converter unlocks.
Dmax affair and sargenthp like this.

Last edited by MIkey52; 07-30-2019 at 09:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Correct, it is trying to downshift from 2nd to 1st. There is an error in their programming which they do not want to acknowledge.

2019 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - Stock
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 11:22 AM

I have had exactly the same experience. My started right out of the wrapper on my first trip home. Enough of us with the issue need to make enough noise so that writing this flash becomes a priority.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Garage
Same issue here; replicated it at the dealership, waiting to see what GM says...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 12:44 PM

My dealership is outstanding. Plugged in and recorded as It was happening. It is up to GM to fix the code. The current explanation is minor fuel pressure fluctuation. I would not want to be towing down a grade and experience this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 04:47 PM

My 2019 does this also, but not every time. Have not taken it in for this yet.

2019 Silverado 2500 4WD, Cajun Red
Michelin LTX M/S, bed liner, Alum bed box
Boost mirror turn signal jumper
Trans cooler grill
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-01-2019, 07:45 PM

Iíve got at Ď19 as well with about 600 miles on the clock. Iíve noticed this, but it doesnít stop me from slowing, or seem dangerous. Also, I broke the 1000 mile rule and towed my 12K lb fifth wheel a short distance in for maintenance. No issues slowing or stopping there either. I thought it was just the nature of the transmission working itís way down. Looking at my monitor 2nd to 1st is most noticeable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 12:33 PM

Looks like the truck saw a real hot Suburban.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode