Tonneau Cover Opinion - Page 7 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017 - '19 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2017 - '19 topics not related to powertrain

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:32 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxBill View Post
I am thinking it may be easier to keep the Matte finish from showing scratches or water spots.
I would like to see some photos of one in the Matte finish if anyone has some to share.
Having one with the gloss finish, I can definitely say that it is tough to avoid fingerprints and water spots. Surprising, I haven't really had much of a problem with scratches. I have been pretty careful when working around it, but I do climb up over the sides sometimes when hitching/unhitching the 5th wheel and I haven't really scratched it yet.

That said, the gloss finish does look amazing when it's cleaned up. Its sort of like having a blacked out truck. They look amazing when cleaned up, but it only lasts about a day at a time...

Also, just as a separate comment on the Retrax Pro, mine has definitely loosened up now as suggested by the manufacturer. It was pretty stiff in the beginning, but I can open and close it with one hand now. I still square it up at the back with both hands once I get it there (since it skews a tad when just pulling on one side), but overall, I'm pretty happy with it. The ability to latch it at any open position is great too. I can have some things covered toward the front of the bed while some taller things are exposed at the rear.

Garrett
2018 3500HD CC LB LTZ Dually - Silver/Black

2013 Palomino Puma Unleashed 356QLB Toy Hauler
36ft, 12ft Garage, 14,500lbs GVW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the update Garrett. Since the stance of my truck is so high you would not see much of the tonneau cover. I am leaning towards the Matte finish as I believe it would better hide smudges and water spots.
post #63 of 68 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 11:13 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
I guess one thing I've noticed that I'm not happy about with a Silverado Retrax install is the drain. On the Silverado, the drain holes are in the floor under the canister. In my 09 Ford they were in the front vertical wall which allowed the floor to be open. I worry about throwing lumber or things in at an angle and knocking a drain out. When my Retrax comes in, I'm not excited about it, but I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the vertical wall for the drain.

Any other done this? Also where have others found the best prices for the Retrax? Amazon hasn't looked bad but depends on the day as the one I've been looking at jumps around $50-60 a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Got the Retrax Pro installed last week. I really like this cover and the ease of operation. I went with the Matt finish and it looks really great with the Whit Frost Metallic.

2018 GMC Denali 3500 L5P White Frost Metalic
post #65 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:18 AM
DuramaxForum Guru

i had the Access lo-pro on my 17 Denali and liked it!

I went with a Bakflip Mx4 on my 18 Raptor and love it too.
post #66 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Scanned through most of these posts and don't think I saw mention of the diamondback HD. I have one on my Tundra, and would probably get one on my future 3500.

Only gripe (other than price tag) so far is that the lock cores suck in sub-freezing temps. Their only remedy was to offer to send me new lock cores. I just packed them full of grease and try to remember to wipe off the key before putting it back in my pants. Other than that, they are as described.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxBill View Post
Got the Retrax Pro installed last week. I really like this cover and the ease of operation. I went with the Matt finish and it looks really great with the Whit Frost Metallic.
guess I am a day late and a dollar short on this one. I put the diamondback HD on mine and love it. MattiG, sorry to hear about your issue with the lock cylinders.
Attached Images

NATE

2018 GMC SIERRA 2500HD DENALI
2006 LBZ (Regency Edition) sold

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survi...p?action=forum

Last edited by nmeyer414; 05-11-2018 at 08:57 AM.
post #67 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 01:04 PM

I went with the Bakflip G2 again. Had one on my 13 LML, and now the 18 Denali. No issues for me. I like that it folds up totally without taking it off, and no drilling through the bed.
Attached Images

Previous '13 LML
post #68 of 68 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 07:24 PM

I too have the Diamondback HD from 15 , same as the one pictured and couldn’t be happier. Dad bought the rollback from the dealer back in 2015 and it looks a lil worn out. I just bought a 2018 L5P and going to transfer the Diamondback to the new truck, no issues. Btw, line x wears great and you can load up on top of it with no issues, should really check out their website and see the videos.

Stock 2018 Duramax L5P

Diamond Back bed cover-line-X black
BadAss font bumper with winch mount
12000 MileMarker hydraulic winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode