Ranch hand Bumper Inquiry/Comparison - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017 - '19 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2017 - '19 topics not related to powertrain

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:45 PM
Rara Avis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Deer = oversized goat

ELK = Horse
Adult Moose = Prepare for potential Windshield damage
Attached Images

Paul in VT

I used to own an ant farm but had to give it up. I couldn't find tractors small enough to fit it.
-- Steven Wright

NRA Benefactor

2007 GMC 3500 C&C with Hillsboro Aluminum Flatbed
2008 GMC 3500 Crewcab SLT
2012 GMC 1500 Crewcab SLT
2007 Saturn Sky Redline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:46 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxhc33rl View Post
They have a winch models available... https://www.ranchhand.com/winch-ready-front-bumpers

Anyway, I love my Legend series. Wish I would have sprung for the Sport with the winch tray, but the Legend is bulletproof and sits a lot closer to the truck than some of the older models. I think they look nice and offer a ton of protection. Most of my 18K miles are towing either an 8K boat or 15K RV on a heavy tow tune, and I've never had any thermal issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhorn View Post
Had the Summit on my 2015 2500hd. On the interstate I hit an elk at 80 mph last June in the middle of the night. Pic shows the result. The truck was totaled but the bumper did its job and prevented the elk from going through the windshield. Legend appears to be a bit more heavy duty but there is nothing out there (in my opinion) that would take a lick like I did and get through unscathed. I consider it a win as we got through with no injuries and I got a new 2018 2500hd out of the deal (which btw sports a Ranch Hand). I was pulling an empty 16" utility trailer at the time and it came out undamaged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_coast99 View Post
So, I want with the Ranch Hand Summit and I love it!
Thanks to everyone who contributed I information here.
I can't post pics in replies on my phone but I added some in a folder on my profile
Hey guys...so to follow up on my earlier comment in this discussion. I had always noticed some wiggling up and down on the sides of the bumper when I was driving. Fast forward to 37,000 miles and on my honeymoon in St. Louis, I noticed a severe rattle in the front when my wife and I were parking to go to the Arch. When I got under the truck and checked it out, I found out that the two factory GM bumper mounts welded to the frame had cracked and my whole front end was being held on by two bolts. Fortunately, I was able to drive it slowly to Don Brown Chevy (these guys are awesome...I can't speak highly enough about how they helped me and made this situation better) where they welded on two new factory bumper mounts to the frame (and got me on the road in time to make the Opry in Nashville that night!) Guys, these factory mounts are very thin steel! Nothing compared to the thickness of the Ranch Hand side of the mount...

It turns out that the shop that originally installed my bumper replacement did not include two lower mounts that go along with the set up. So I was able to get reimbursed for my cost in St. Louis but I still worry about those factory mounts. And I still have play on the sides. I looked underneath one of our 2019 Ram 2500 work trucks that also has a RH bumper replacement, and its mounting set up is much stronger than on my Chevy...and absolutely ZERO play / movement on it when I was driving that truck on a bumpy gravel road. Our 2019 Chevy 2500HD work truck, though, has the same mounting and same movement as mine which worries me because our work trucks take a beating off road.

So my questions to yall with the RH bumper replacements--

Do yall have any play / wiggling up and down / movement on the sides when you're driving? I get it even on moderately rough sections of Interstate and there's a wear spot on the front wheel well liner where the bumper holds it back.

Have any of you modified the factory side to beef it up?

Thanks!
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Location: Presently behind enemy lines of the liberal bastion known as Denver, Co.
I have the Ranch Hand Legend front bumper on my ‘11 Silvy, was part of the original factory build sheet. I have not seen any front bumper movement or rattle, but after 233,00 miles am about to pull that bumper to get it blasted and ready for fresh paint. The original powder coat is coming off everywhere so there is a bit of rust to deal with. Probably going to go with a bed coating type of finish this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'11 Silverado LML 3500HD ext cab long bed
AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake w/ Pro 5R oiled filter
McGaughys rear 2" drop shackles
FASS Ti 95, WIF removed
15% over injectors by Industrial Injection
Deleted w/ GDP tunes, SOTF w/ high idle, EZ Lynk
Insight CTS 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 09:43 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

1bigK, This is the kind of reliability I had experienced with having a RH on my first truck which I kept until 290K miles. But when I looked underneath a 2011, I saw that the mounting system is totally different. The 2011 has a thicker mounting plate that bolts through the frame in four places (two on each side). On the 2015-2019, though, that mounting plate is welded on the frame by GM and the RH bumper mounts to it. Unfortunately, what is welded on by GM is not nearly as thick of plate steel as what is on the 2011 style trucks. I drove a 2012 at work with a RH replacement and that thing never moved.
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

For those wanting a GMC winch ready look at Buckstop. Love them. Have owned 2...
Attached Images

2019 Quartz Red Denali HD Chrome deleted
2013 GMC SLE fully deleated. Sold
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 01:52 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulChristenson View Post
Adult Moose = Prepare for potential Windshield damage
Moose are no joke.... Im not sure any bumper would survive that kind of impact, but if moose are your concern, id go for one that has a full front end wrap with steel bars to help keep it from coming over the hood into your lap. The real danger with moose is there height (and weight) but the height makes them more likely to come over the hood into the cab. Only time ive ever warped a rotor was coming around a corner on the highway up to a bridge with an adult moose on it a couple hundred feet away at 80 mph. Somehow i managed to slow down enough to miss it but i did have to replace the front rotors, but its better than replacing a truck, or me.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
Moose are no joke.... Im not sure any bumper would survive that kind of impact, but if moose are your concern, id go for one that has a full front end wrap with steel bars to help keep it from coming over the hood into your lap. The real danger with moose is there height (and weight) but the height makes them more likely to come over the hood into the cab. Only time ive ever warped a rotor was coming around a corner on the highway up to a bridge with an adult moose on it a couple hundred feet away at 80 mph. Somehow i managed to slow down enough to miss it but i did have to replace the front rotors, but its better than replacing a truck, or me.
What model/year vehicle was it?

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 02:49 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
What model/year vehicle was it?

01 6.6L silverado. I dont know to what degree the upgraded brake lines i had on the truck helped, but i sure was glad to have them that night as i was practically standing on the brake pedal.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old Today, 09:32 PM

I prefer the aluminum semi style bumpers here is my Ali arc bull bar on my 2019 Chevy 3500 hd service body.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode