High mileage cost of ownership? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017 - '19 (Non Powertrain) Discussion of 2017 - '19 topics not related to powertrain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

High mileage cost of ownership?

Would you rather have a LB7 with 250k or a L5P? Just curious with all the electronics, safety crap, emissions junk, 10 speed transmission what these trucks will be like when there as old as my LB7. My truck is expensive to work on, just wondering how bad a new one out of warranty could be. I'm glad to see there is a lot of trouble free L5P's with more miles than my truck already. Unfortunately, we hear about the problem ones too...

[/SIGPIC]2003 2500HD Duramax
7" BDS set at 5.5, 35/1250 Toyo MT's on H2's, EFI live, Head stud's, intake/exhaust, lift pump
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
Would you rather have a LB7 with 250k or a L5P? Just curious with all the electronics, safety crap, emissions junk, 10 speed transmission what these trucks will be like when there as old as my LB7. My truck is expensive to work on, just wondering how bad a new one out of warranty could be. I'm glad to see there is a lot of trouble free L5P's with more miles than my truck already. Unfortunately, we hear about the problem ones too...
I like new stuff and all the creature comforts the new trucks offer. They're far more comfortable, tow significantly better and have so much more power than the old trucks.

I get a new one every year or so and usually put 45k-60k on them before getting a new one. My 2017 and 2018 both had ~50k miles on them and I never had any other repairs than one single glow plug on the 2017. I maintain them well, keep the DEF tank full and tow a 19k pound enclosed car hauler about 15k miles per year with them.

I just traded the 2018 in and picked up a 2020 3500 SRW crew cab high country. As I get more miles on it, I'll report back, but so far I am very impressed with the truck.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 01:19 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:

if we were comparing a new LB7 to a new L5P i would rather have the LB7 just due to its lower complexity, but since the LB7 is at minimum 15 years old at this point unless you had a "restored" LB7, if price was not a concern the L5P would be a better option.

As for the issue with warranty, its probably going to be a couple more years before there are any real trends in the L5P as far as common failures out of warranty. It does have a new Denso fuel system though that eliminates the LML fuel issues, the new injectors should also hold up longer and the 10 speed transmission sounds nice. Its kind of hard to justify an LB7 aside from its price and tuning options, that is unless you managed to trip over a completely original well maintained low miles driven to church on sundays garage stored all year round LB7.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

In no way was I trying to make a LB7 vs L5P debate. I know the winner their hands down lol. My LB7 cost me $5k to do the head gaskets, new heads and water pump. Injectors were about $4k. If I have the trans built my last quote was $5k. What would a L5P cost to do that? I guess that's kind of hard to answer as most L5P's are still under warranty so the few that have had major work done were paid by GM. I would assume injectors would be cheaper on any Duramax vs LB7 cause of the labor. But dose any major work on the L5P require the cab to be removed like a powerstoke? If so I assume a L5P out of warranty would cost significantly more to do a head gasket because of labor just to remove the cab.

[/SIGPIC]2003 2500HD Duramax
7" BDS set at 5.5, 35/1250 Toyo MT's on H2's, EFI live, Head stud's, intake/exhaust, lift pump
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:01 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
With a vehicle, it's a depreciating asset.
You instead have to look at it as a monthly fee to drive....whether you're making payments on a warranty (with presumably no major repair liability),
warranty gone but still making payments + whatever major repair 'might' come along,
or you own it outright (Paid for, yea!) with some high miles and most likely some major repairs to come.

In the case of paid for + repairs, look at your annual outlay / 12 mo.
$14k, you've covered about all of the majors, which should carry you to at least 3 years or more.
That's just under $400/mo...minimum. You might see more little things along the way, modules don't last forever, switches here and there, other electrical, interior things like headliner, seat cushions, AC controls, windows, etc.

or not.

A new $70k over 5 years....$1200/mo, +++ possibly major repair long after the warranty was up, but still making payments.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 02:24 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
I think if you can pickup a 5 year old truck with 500,000 miles for $15,000 you have a lot of spending room to fix compared to a brand new or low mileage one.

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 674,000 miles

2013 CrewCab and chassis with 9' Hillsboro aluminum flatbed 84,000 miles. - Sold Sept 2019
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:53 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
In no way was I trying to make a LB7 vs L5P debate. I know the winner their hands down lol. My LB7 cost me $5k to do the head gaskets, new heads and water pump. Injectors were about $4k. If I have the trans built my last quote was $5k. What would a L5P cost to do that? I guess that's kind of hard to answer as most L5P's are still under warranty so the few that have had major work done were paid by GM. I would assume injectors would be cheaper on any Duramax vs LB7 cause of the labor. But dose any major work on the L5P require the cab to be removed like a powerstoke? If so I assume a L5P out of warranty would cost significantly more to do a head gasket because of labor just to remove the cab.

technically most of the LB7 work calls for cab removal too, its the recommended way to do head gaskets and injectors as well. Id say that the L5P would be easier to change injectors in, but since its a different fuel system, im not sure what the hardware cost would be. I say it would be easier just because the LB7 is such a time sink with the excessive top end removal required for injectors. Id say head gaskets would probably be similar. There seems to already be built transmissions on the market in a similar price range to the older trucks, though tuning the L5P is not supported as fully as it is currently on older trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevor View Post
I think if you can pickup a 5 year old truck with 500,000 miles for $15,000 you have a lot of spending room to fix compared to a brand new or low mileage one.
i would not be buying a 100K per year engine but maybe thats just me. What are the odds that truck got the 10-20 oil changes a year that it should for that mileage?

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 08-09-2019 at 03:55 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:29 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
An oil sample on used oil of high mileage engine is satisfactory enough for me to determine it's condition. Changes are a vehicle that is started up and ran 15 minutes twice a day is way more contaminated than one that is ran all day.

The biggest thing I have discovered driving all day, day after day is, mechanical moving parts are designed keep moving. Most damage is done when going for cold stationary position up to speed.

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 674,000 miles

2013 CrewCab and chassis with 9' Hillsboro aluminum flatbed 84,000 miles. - Sold Sept 2019
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:14 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Judging by the pattern of longevity in our fleet of Courier vehicles used (various cars/trucks/vans), day in and day out, 8-12+hrs a day running hard city miles...the worst thing you can do is, turn it off.

Amazing numbers of high miles and the biggest common repair for down time.....brake jobs.
2nd, is tires.
And no one ever buys new, always used, and mostly in excess of 80-100k miles when they're acquired.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

I would take a moderately low miles well maintained LBZ (NOT LB7) over an L5P any day, but that's because I can't afford a new $60K+ truck on my "fixed" income... My LLY has faithfully pulled our fifth wheel over 40K miles and I have never had a regen or added DEF and the low bed rails give me plenty of clearance for towing but I would still rather have an LBZ. Only issues I have had are the usual front wheel bearings, water pump at 132K, replaced a couple of injector plugs and replaced a stuck seat switch. I upgraded the trans when I had it tuned since I didn't want to worry about added power breaking stuff. I check often for head gaskets leaks, so far I have been OK...or lucky... I still do most of my own maintenance and routine repairs and use fuel conditioner with every fill. My truck hasn't been to a shop or dealer for repairs in over 9 years, but at age 75 it's getting harder to enjoy doing that stuff. I still like the simplicity of the classic trucks. I guess my LLY will have to be my "forever" truck.....

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, some mystery stuff, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode