L5P fuel filter replacement / noise question - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

L5P fuel filter replacement / noise question

Decided to go ahead and replace the fuel filter today. It still had "38% remaining" but I've already had two oil changes (about 12,500 miles) and I did have an incident last winter that I believe is attributable to fuel gelatinization. A couple of observations:

1) My (old) fuel filter had an actual tear in the filament; see below.

2) There appears to be a drain plug in the fuel filter housing which is only supposed to be tightened to 2.5 N*m, which is less than 2 lb*ft of torque. This is an incredibly tiny amount of torque and unless you have a 1/4" torque wrench you probably will not be able to tighten it correctly. The threads holding this drain plug in are tiny and appear to be very easy to strip. It's probably easier to just remove the entire filter housing with a drip pan under the thing, slowly lower it down, and pour the contents out into the drip pan than to screw around with the stupid drain plug. Who knows what GM charges for a replacement filter housing and drain plug if you strip the threads (I guarantee it's three figures). See below; let me know your thoughts.

Edit: Okay, this appears to be a drain for removing water from the fuel. In any case, make sure you have a tiny 1/4" drive torque wrench (torque measured in in*lbs) for draining water. A 3/8" drive wrench will probably not have small enough adjustments to keep you from stripping these threads. I discourage anyone from tightening it "just enough" (without a torque wrench) because you'll almost certainly over-tighten it and hop/strip the threads.

Edit: If you do strip it, it's not the end of the world: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GM-Fuel...-/202163738516

3) After I put everything back together, I fired 'er up to check for leaks. I was worried because when I was screwing around with the drain plug I over-tightened it and the threads "hopped," and my heart skipped a beat because I thought I'd stripped them. Fortunately it seems to be working fine; I let it idle for about twenty minutes with a drip pan underneath and didn't see any issues. However, I noticed for the first time a noise that seems to be coming from the fuel tank area; it sounds like a pump trying to suck liquid out of something but with the intake only partially submerged (my fuel tank is 3/4 full in the video below). It is a little hard to hear because of the sound of the engine, but in the background you should be able to make out the sound I'm describing. Does anyone know what that is?

4) I was unable to get a picture of this due to the angles involved, but there appears to be some kind of heat exchanger connected to the fuel system. It's near the fuel filter. Can anyone explain what that thing is, and what it does?

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank

Last edited by jdwarren; 04-08-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Can't say I hear the noise. The heat exchanger is the fuel cooler, been there at least since the LLY's which is as far back as my knowledge goes.

Keep listening to the noise and for kicks I'll go and check mine. I'm due to change my filter this week or weekend and I'll let you know what I hear. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it though. For comparative purposes I'm just at 13K miles and Fuel Filter life is like 15%. I used to change filters at 12K on my other trucks so I'll just pick that up again on this one.

Another thing you could do is PM this guy called Berettaman (???) Can't believe I remember his name but he had an issue with his pump making tons of noise and see how that was resolved. Thread is on here somewhere.

As for the torque just use a 1/4 inch socket and go until "tight" . I am a bicycle rider and everything on higher end bikes has a torque reading due to the carbon fiber tubes and hence I have a 1/4 torque wrench for that stuff. 2 N-M is just tight with a 1/4 inch like 3" long ratchet. 4 N-M with that 6" long torque wrench and you have to push it a little. Pardon my hack but it will work. Your method though of just pulling the whole housing works as well.

Last edited by NJBreeze; 04-09-2018 at 11:22 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
Can't say I hear the noise. The heat exchanger is the fuel cooler, been there at least since the LLY's which is as far back as my knowledge goes.

Keep listening to the noise and for kicks I'll go and check mine. I'm due to change my filter this week or weekend and I'll let you know what I hear. I wouldn't necessarily worry about it though. Another thing you could do is PM this guy called Berettaman (???) Can't believe I remember his name but he had an issue with his pump making tons of noise and see how that was resolved. Thread is on here somewhere.

As for the torque just use a 1/4 inch socket and go until "tight" . I am a bicycle rider and everything on higher end bikes has a torque reading due to the carbon fiber tubes and hence I have a 1/4 torque wrench for that stuff. 2 N-M is just tight with a 1/4 inch like 3" long ratchet. 4 N-M with that 6" long torque wrench and you have to push it a little. Pardon my hack but it will work. Your method though of just pulling the whole housing works as well.
Yeah, I went ahead and ordered a 1/4" torque wrench. I already have 3/8" and 1/2" so this will complete the trifecta. The truck runs fine and there are no leaks based on the little bit of driving I did yesterday after finishing the filter change. Thanks for the info on the fuel cooler; this is my first Duramax so I'm still in the learning phase.

2017 Silverado 3500 LTZ (Summit White) | CC SB SRW | Z71 | Duramax L5P | Undercover Ultra Flex bed cover | Draw-Tite front receiver | AIMS 3kw inverter-charger | Titan Travel Trekker 50-gallon auxiliary fuel tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:01 PM

MY LB7 has a fuel cooler.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 404,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump and Donaldson filter
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 08:18 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

LML's didn't have a fuel cooler, but the mount location was there, IIRC.

Sorta like they were hedging there bets...same as the steering damper, that wasn't there when they released the new frame/chassis in 2011 -- but also had the mount location.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:07 PM

JD,

I checked mine today and I don't hear any noise but I did think of a bit of a simple test for you. Drain the filter again. Then while your underneath and doing your filming thing, have somebody do the priming of the filter via the procedure outlined in the manual. I think it is just cycling the key w/o trying to start it. If there is some funky noise you should hear it then because it has to pump to re-prime.

If it was making a noise, take video to dealer, tell them procedure and maybe get it fixed that way. Sounds ambitious but might all in all work.

Last edited by NJBreeze; 04-10-2018 at 12:20 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBreeze View Post
JD,

I checked mine today and I don't hear any noise but I did think of a bit of a simple test for you. Drain the filter again. Then while your underneath and doing your filming thing, have somebody do the priming of the filter via the procedure outlined in the manual. I think it is just cycling the key w/o trying to start it. If there is some funky noise you should hear it then because it has to pump to re-prime.
So I heard the priming very clearly after I installed the new filter; I turned the key to "on" and you could hear the whine as the lift pump pressurized the fuel lines up to the injector pump. The noise I was referring to is something different, and I think it's actually been there all the time, I just never really paid attention to it before. Everything seems to be running fine and the CEL hasn't come on, so it's probably nothing. If you see a familiar-looking white L5P CCSB on the side of 287 over the next couple of days you'll know I was wrong.

Edit: I bet I know what that noise is after all. I think it's probably the sound of the fuel being sprayed back into the fuel tank from the return line. Just a guess, though.

Last edited by jdwarren; 04-10-2018 at 12:20 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:20 AM

Quick question. if I am changing the fuel filter with the larger diameter bolt on the fuel filter housing, do I need to worry about the 1/4 in bolt that is where the water drain plug is in the center? I do alot of pulling and I have new filter and o-rings. I got a quote from the dealer at 160.00 and I was like whoa... FIgured I could do it, as I have a 1/2in Torque wrench to change it, and it auto primes after when you turn the key "on". Looking for confirmation on the water separation. Lastly, I know Cummins has 2 filters, one near the fuel tank and one in the engine compartment. Want to confirm there is only one on my Duramax in my 2018 Denali HD.

Thanks in Advance
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:02 PM

Traded in my '09 for an '18 and just was looking for the priming procedure, seeing how it would be heck to try to get at the top of the canister to blead the air. So, looks like all I have to do is screw off the housing, change filter element, replace o-ring, tighten housing, turn key to on, wait a bit before starting. Right? Nice to not have to remove a fender liner and WIF connection. Do we still have a WIF capability? Guess I need to order the Tech Manuals and do some reading. Things changed a bit in 9 years. Anybody want some '09 tech manuals, all 26#s.

'18 Ext Cab Z-71
'16 Reserve 26'
RC Jets
N8AGS
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len Todd View Post
Traded in my '09 for an '18 and just was looking for the priming procedure, seeing how it would be heck to try to get at the top of the canister to blead the air. So, looks like all I have to do is screw off the housing, change filter element, replace o-ring, tighten housing, turn key to on, wait a bit before starting. Right? Nice to not have to remove a fender liner and WIF connection. Do we still have a WIF capability? Guess I need to order the Tech Manuals and do some reading. Things changed a bit in 9 years. Anybody want some '09 tech manuals, all 26#s.
Pretty much; the priming is handled automatically. The filter bowl functions as a fuel/water separator too. There's a tiny little nut at the base that you can unthread and the contents of the bowl will pour out. I think it's rated for 2.5 lb*ft so be very delicate and/or use a little 1/4" drive torque wrench.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode