2018 2500HD Sloppy Steering - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

2018 2500HD Sloppy Steering

My 2018 2500HD Sierra Denali steering wheel steers loose. It has considerable "play" while driving at any speed. I can move the wheel left to right with no response. I have Fox shocks and even put steering stabilizer on hoping it would help this issue with no change, otherwise truck is stock. Dealer says all is normal... Drove new Denali diesel and steering wheel seemed tighter without having to constantly correct for drift left to right. Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston04 View Post
My 2018 2500HD Sierra Denali steering wheel steers loose. It has considerable "play" while driving at any speed. I can move the wheel left to right with no response. I have Fox shocks and even put steering stabilizer on hoping it would help this issue with no change, otherwise truck is stock. Dealer says all is normal... Drove new Denali diesel and steering wheel seemed tighter without having to constantly correct for drift left to right. Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks

Has the truck been aligned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

No have not had it aligned. Drives nice true and straight. Not pulling to either side. Just can move wheel quickly both directions with no immediate response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:22 AM

Garage
Have you tried putting the stock parts back on?

Miller's Youtube Channel

2018 Silverado Duramax High Country in Deep Ocean Blue Metallic CCSB/SRW 4x4 L5P
Purchased 8-11-2018 - All stock

1993 Toyota Supra - Renaissance Red - 1000+hp
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

No. Why would the factory shocks make a difference since Fox shocks are superior to Rancho?
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
No. Why would the factory shocks make a difference since Fox shocks are superior to Rancho?

I pulled my factory shocks and replaced with bilstein 5100ís. Also had to fix the front end from sagging on one side by adjusting torsion bars. Had alignment done and it was way out. Truck walked on highway and felt sloppy before alignment.

post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I don't have pulling issues, just that wheel can be moved back and forth left to right 2"-3" inches without reaction.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
I don't have pulling issues, just that wheel can be moved back and forth left to right 2"-3" inches without reaction.

Do you have another dealer thatís close? Sounds like steering box is sloppy.

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Waiting for dealer manager to call me.

Thanks
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:30 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

There must be a dozen threads on here about sloppy steering on newer trucks. Some get that way in 5,000 miles. There are lots of things they try to fix the problem.

Top Ten Fixes for loose steering in Silverados:

1. tell the customer nothing is wrong and see if they will buy it.
2. adjust the play out of the steering gear. Sometimes works for a few thousand miles but sometimes not even for that long.
3. replace the steering gear with another steering gear of the same batch as the first gear box. Works about as long as the first gear box worked.
4. rebuild the gear box with better internals. Works most of the time if they do the whole job, including flushing the system.
5. replace a bunch of suspension and steering joints with new ones. Sometimes helps a little but doesn't really fix it.
6. tell the customer that they don't know what is wrong. This must work occasionally because they do it a lot.
7. tell the customer that there is a known problem but no known cure. An outright lie.
8. tell the customer that the required parts are not available because they are on national backorder but that they will be available some day. The parts are available now.
9. tell the customer that the problem is due to the accessories he has installed and therefor not covered under warranty. After all that kickin stereo is putting a lot of strain on the steering gear.
10. Flush the steering fluid. In itself it doesn't do much but in combination with other "cures" it can help a little.

The actual problem is a batch of steering gears with improperly heat treated parts that can't take the stress the are subject to. They wear out quickly, contaminating the system and leading to failure of the steering and brake booster.

The true fix is to replace the defective steering gear, the contaminated pump and the hydraboost. The system has to be flushed at the same time to remove all of the metal shavings from the system.

This isn't a rare problem that nobody has heard about. It is well known with TSBs to address it.
jdwarren and jjguitarist like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode