sound similar to a bearing going out - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2017+ L5P Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

sound similar to a bearing going out

Has anyone else had a sound similar to a bearing going out, while at idle? It only does it when it's warm and stops as soon as the rpm are brought up off idle. The best I can describe it other than a worn bearing is a "whirring" sound.

Took the truck to the dealer (while it was warm and making the noise). The mechanic started looking at charge tubes for loose connections and didn't find anything. Today they called and said they had contacted Chevrolet and they thought it was the EGR. They have order new parts and gaskets and will call me when they arrive.

Curious if anyone else has experienced this and, if it was in fact the EGR system.

2018 Silverado 2500 LTZ, Ocean Blue Metalic.
Retired and lovin' it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 05:28 AM

I was wondering if my front driver bearing was going out for a while as well. I would hear it when I was driving around 45 MPH, but not all the time. I found when the truck was warm enough it would shift into 5th and with the converter locked it would drop my RPM's around 1200. Then it made the noise. If I manually change the gear back to 4th the noise stopped. So I finally realized it was just the noise of the engine being lugged and the exhaust system vibrating from it.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT.
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT. Anarchy tune running on +50hp. 4" MBRP quiet tone exhaust. EGR fell out after being almost 100% plugged (Traded).
2004.5, 2007.5, 2015 Ram Cummins (Traded).
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 06:27 AM

Would have to hear the noise (in person is usually best) to help track it down. I would start with the obvious: alternator, power steering pump, a/c compressor, fan bearing, then Idlers. I know my power steering pump on the 04 makes noise at weird RPM even though its full. Need to change the fluid in that one.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargenthp View Post
I was wondering if my front driver bearing was going out for a while as well. I would hear it when I was driving around 45 MPH, but not all the time.
Mine only makes the noise when the engine is at idle. As soon as I give it any fuel the sound goes away. Not sure how the Exhaust Gas Recirculation could make that type of sound but, I guess I will let them replace the system and see if that does it.

Thanks for the replies.
sargenthp likes this.

Retired and lovin' it!
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18BlueDMax View Post
Mine only makes the noise when the engine is at idle. As soon as I give it any fuel the sound goes away. Not sure how the Exhaust Gas Recirculation could make that type of sound but, I guess I will let them replace the system and see if that does it.

Thanks for the replies.
Try removing the belt when its warm and making the noise. Could be any of the accessories on the front. Fan support, idlers, alternator, air conditioner compressor, and power steering pump all runs of the belt. Bearings in those are man made so anything is possible. If just coming off an oil change, water pump is gear driven and they have been known to make noise when aftermarket were used, could be a fluke one. Cam shaft is also gear driven. Can you isolate the noise to the engine bay or to the transmission tunnel? Could be torque converter, check the trans level when hot, aim for bottom of has not top as they can be over filled which leads to cavitation.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Dealership called today and said they had the EGR system parts and gaskets in to replace. Will take it in and have that done and see if it stops the noise. It's still under warranty (not quite a year old yet and less than 13k miles) so I'm going to let them figure it out. I will let you know how we progress.
sargenthp likes this.

Retired and lovin' it!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Got my truck back this afternoon. Didn't have time to drive it 30+ miles (which is what it has taken before to make the noise). Did drive it to fill the tank and then home, no sound so far. They replaced the EGR valve and new gaskets - so...... we'll see if that cured it.
sargenthp likes this.

Retired and lovin' it!
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

And.........It's back Drove the truck long enough the other night to get it well warmed up and the noise is there again. Took it up to the dealership today and they can't get it in until Wed. after Christmas! Told them I needed transportation and they said to drive it until I take it in. I asked what happens if this is doing damage, if that will all be covered by warranty? They were less than confidence inspiring! We'll see what happens next........

Retired and lovin' it!
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Well, the saga continues. They had my truck for two more days - still can not figure out what it is. I called Chevy Customer Care and they have started a case and "referred it to a senior case agent" (whatever that means!). Today the dealership called and said to come pick it up, they have no ideas and didn't want me to be without transportation (since Chevy won't provide a loaner). They are going to contact Chevy Tech again and try to figure something out. THIS IS GETTING REALLY OLD, really fast! Anyone know what it takes for Chevy to give in and give you another new '18 or a new '19?

Retired and lovin' it!
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawles2 View Post
Try removing the belt when its warm and making the noise. Could be any of the accessories on the front. Fan support, idlers, alternator, air conditioner compressor, and power steering pump all runs of the belt. Bearings in those are man made so anything is possible. If just coming off an oil change, water pump is gear driven and they have been known to make noise when aftermarket were used, could be a fluke one. Cam shaft is also gear driven. Can you isolate the noise to the engine bay or to the transmission tunnel? Could be torque converter, check the trans level when hot, aim for bottom of has not top as they can be over filled which leads to cavitation.
They checked the drive pulleys and said that wasn't it. Don't know if they checked the trans fluid level - will try to get out and get it warmed up tomorrow and check that myself. I can't determine where it is coming from, it's louder standing in front of the truck as opposed to the side by either front wheel. Not recent on the oil change, in fact, I'm due for another change in about 1k miles.

Retired and lovin' it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode